The "Sequel Theory" Thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
SeanTucker
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby SeanTucker » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:58 am

Am I the only one who thinks the title is a bit telling regarding the nature of Rebuild? You can only rebuild something if it's already been destroyed once.

Here's my theory: The Eva universe is in a constant Groundhog Day situation until Shinji does things in exactly the right manner. TV series and EoTV wasn't it. TV series and EoE wasn't it. Rebuild presumably has Shinji doing the correct things to bring the Eva universe out of the time loop.
Timstuff wrote:If you live in a Gainax production and are allergic to melons, I imagine you'd be sneezing a lot...

Oh wait, did you mean the fruit?

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:57 am

oh dear, I hope this^ doesn't proliferate
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

Postby AuraTwilight » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:10 pm

Am I the only one who thinks the title is a bit telling regarding the nature of Rebuild? You can only rebuild something if it's already been destroyed once.

Here's my theory: The Eva universe is in a constant Groundhog Day situation until Shinji does things in exactly the right manner. TV series and EoTV wasn't it. TV series and EoE wasn't it. Rebuild presumably has Shinji doing the correct things to bring the Eva universe out of the time loop.

Or it means exactly what Anno said it does, and it means he's REBUILDING THE FRANCHISE AS A QUADRILOGY OF MODERN MOVIES LOLOLOLOL.

Now you people are just reaching.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:24 pm

SeanTucker wrote:Here's my theory: The Eva universe is in a constant Groundhog Day situation until Shinji does things in exactly the right manner. TV series and EoTV wasn't it. TV series and EoE wasn't it. Rebuild presumably has Shinji doing the correct things to bring the Eva universe out of the time loop.
It would be quite an interesting theory if it weren't such a derivative concept. I'm sure this has been mentioned, but it's also quite reminiscent of the end of Re-Take (not counting the fourth volume).
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Zerogoki
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Zerogoki » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:54 pm

SeanTucker wrote:Here's my theory: This thread is in a constant Groundhog Day situation

Fixed. ;)
zerogokiru theories make Zerogoki want to hit walls...
#I've got a soul,
But I'm not going to tell you whose...#

"It was originally Happy Magic Virtue Shield." NAveryW on the heap of odd that is the Enchanted Shield of Virtue...
Brikhaus: "I would use Eva-02 (because it's red) to deliver toys to all the good little girls and boys of the world on a single night. That night? September 19th, which is Talk Like a Pirate Day."

mastervampire
Adam

Postby mastervampire » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:10 pm

i dont get it, who or what would be keeping them in the timeloop?

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:30 pm

mastervampire wrote:i dont get it, who or what would be keeping them in the timeloop?
FAR, of course.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:54 pm

Or maybe that Moon Giant if it's a third Source of Life?

I really have no opinion on the sequel theory either way; just a thought.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:41 pm

If it does turn out to be a sequel I will probably quit the Eva fandom. There are sooooo many other things I can do with my time than care about a lame sequel that wasn't needed for any reason what-so-ever.
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

simon
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby simon » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:52 am

Noone quits Eva fandom...

...alive.

:>

Formless One
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Formless One » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:00 pm

...alive.

Mua-ha-ha-ha-ha!

Don't worry: what kind of sequel starts at the same time of its own prequal?

No, its more likely to be an AU based on that alone.
[/opinion]
[size=75]My (fan-)fiction [color=blue]

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:37 pm

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:If it does turn out to be a sequel I will probably quit the Eva fandom. There are sooooo many other things I can do with my time than care about a lame sequel that wasn't needed for any reason what-so-ever.

I can't "quit" fandom, but my respect of RoE will be utterly and forever tarnished

simon
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby simon » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:30 pm

Xard wrote:
Anonymous_Evafan wrote:If it does turn out to be a sequel I will probably quit the Eva fandom. There are sooooo many other things I can do with my time than care about a lame sequel that wasn't needed for any reason what-so-ever.

I can't "quit" fandom, but my respect of RoE will be utterly and forever tarnished

even if it will be a great sequel?

I don't mind it being a sequel, prequel, rebuild or everything at the same time (It's most likely) as long as they will make it a masterpiece, just like they did EoE. Let's hope for the best.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:38 pm

simon wrote:
Xard wrote:

It tampers and destroys best ending ever. No amount of awesomeness is enoug to compensate for that

and as I've already said numerous times I'd love to see Anno work on something else entirely. I was eagerly awaiting for new Shiki-Jitsu, Gunbuster or Eva, but I didn't mean latter literally!

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

Postby chee » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:12 pm

simon wrote:Noone quits Eva fandom...

...alive.

Ah ha ha ha ha ha! Aaaah ha ha ha ha ha hah!!!HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!! AAAAAAAAAAH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HAAAAAAAAA

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:21 pm

Xard wrote:I can't "quit" fandom, but my respect of RoE will be utterly and forever tarnished

Is it really any different than quitting a game? If it gets too boring or stupid then I have no use for it.

simon wrote:Noone quits Eva fandom...

...alive.

Yeah, okay. Tell that to the FBI. I'm sure they'll get a kick out of it. Bad meme is BAD!
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

Postby The Imperialist » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:45 am

In the name of the Order, those who quit will be FORCED back in. A.k.a. we brainwash them. Therefore, those who go against Eva, would face the Kaworu treatment, and they will have to clean the mess.
I feel old

simon
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby simon » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:50 am

Xard wrote:
simon wrote:
Xard wrote:

It tampers and destroys best ending ever. No amount of awesomeness is enoug to compensate for that

and as I've already said numerous times I'd love to see Anno work on something else entirely. I was eagerly awaiting for new Shiki-Jitsu, Gunbuster or Eva, but I didn't mean latter literally!

I pressume the best ending ever, you're talking about, is EoE.

NGE is a specific anime. Everyone has their own interpretations of every single episode, character, theme, even sentence spoken. You can understand it in many ways and all of them will be acceptable.

I think this free will applies also to all the movies about Eva. If you want EoE to be the final cut, you're free to do this. Even if RoE happens after EoE, it is still a new beginning. I'm pretty sure Anno will not give us a clear answer to the Eva being sequel theory question. Therefore we'll be left to our own interpretations.

I think Anno ultimate aim is to obscure the world of Eva as much as possible to make any interpretation of any subject impossible to prove or disprove. This will make Eva an endlessly disputed anime! And that's immortality in the world of animation! Every author's dream.

Look at these forums.
Along the ordinary discussions, we are having heavy problems with simple facts because of differences in the original series, renewal, EoTV, EoE, and all them in the director's cut versions, that's why there's cannon. Now, imagine we have RoE which we don't know if it's sequel or normal rebuild. Every single fact taken from RoE to prove something in the original series, can be overturned by simple words "But it's not a rebuild, it's a sequel!" and every single theory taken from original series to prove something in RoE can be disqualified by word "But is' not a sequel, it's just rebuild!" And imagine, cannon will not save us this time. :smirk:

Anyway, what I wanted to say is even if RoE looks like a sequel you can take it as a rebuild to save you're perfect ending. This flexibility or rather adaptability is the source of Eva ultimate power.

Sorry for the long post. ;/

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

Postby The Imperialist » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:15 am

My friend, there will always be one single universal truth to everything. We just have to wait for clarifications and maybe some official statements to help things. I think everyone should be happy this way.
I feel old

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:02 am

simon, Anno has purpose of making all the stuff clearly less contrived this time around

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:
Xard wrote:I can't "quit" fandom, but my respect of RoE will be utterly and forever tarnished

Is it really any different than quitting a game? If it gets too boring or stupid then I have no use for it.

What I mean is that it won't take quality of original work away

The Imperialist wrote:My friend, there will always be one single universal truth to everything. We just have to wait for clarifications and maybe some official statements to help things. I think everyone should be happy this way.

Wrong

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”