The "Sequel Theory" Thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:43 pm

Shiro wrote:OK, I understand. BUT: I'd be interested to hear your reasoning on why the seas are red and why there's a bloodstain on the moon, as well as Kaworu-kun being on the moon, and all the meaningless aesthetic changes like Lilith's mask.

There was some conjecture to this effect early in the 1.0 spoilers thread. As for me -- I'm still waiting to see the movie. But I hear it doesn't really explain anything.

Topic. Stupidly, the guidebook thread has more (and better) speculation on the giant than this thread does...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:12 am

Not sure what to think of the whole "Rebuild is a continuation of the TV series". It is what it is and I'm not gonna make any superb jumps of logic off of what little I've seen (Damn you DVD release, where are you?).

It would be interesting but the only real reason I'd prefer that scenario to occur is so we DON'T find out that when Kaworu refers to seeing Shinji again he's actually talking about some "kawaii" moments when they were younger and played doctor.

The childhood friend is one of the oldest and most tired cliches I've noticed in anime. Eva was able to avoid that. I'm personally hoping Glasses Girl isn't such a character (I'm still bummed to hear that she doesn't HATE Shinji...I mean the kid flat out hates himself and feels all other people hate him and the one thing the series lacks is a character who GENUINLY HATES him...) but last thing I want is Kaworu to become such a character.

Flashbacks to chibi Shinji and Kaworu is a No Thank You.

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:25 am

Gendo'sPapa wrote:one thing the series lacks is a character who GENUINLY HATES him...)

Asuka claims she does...

Reichu wrote:Topic.

Um yeah, the topic... How does hell if I know sound?
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:44 am

Gendo'sPapa wrote:I mean the kid flat out hates himself and feels all other people hate him and the one thing the series lacks is a character who GENUINLY HATES him...

Apparently Shinji is the character you're looking for.

Your post is looking for a different thread, too.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

evilhead008
Adam

Postby evilhead008 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:02 pm

Its entirely different, isn't it?

After EoE, [s]everything should be dead[/s], or at least all Evas, but its not, apparently..

Also, aren't all the Angels dead by EoE :o

I think it was stated above that SEELE had no ways of recovering the LoL from the moon after Unit-00 threw it.

I'm hoping its an alternate... whatever, and not a stupid dream sequence like Re-take...

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

The "Sequel Theory" Thread

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:45 pm

Following posts split from Red Vs. Blue (Water).

Keep in mind: After 2I, in the episode (12, and IIRC, 21') when Gendou and Fuyutsuki went up to the North Pole, the Waters there were red because it contained Tanged people who wouldn't be able to return till after 3I.

It's always possible those shots in 1.0 are from the North Pole, such as that shot of giant laying among red stuff: While it could be a Harpie, it could always be Adam, as well.

I think that shot of Misato with red bathwater (and other ones that are like it) was either a continuity error or possibly trying to "tell" us something either way.

Kaworu knowing Shinji, the LCL Sea(??) and that outline of that giant body aside, are there any other clues this could be things starting over and/or after EoE's 3I? For instance, in any shots of the Moon, DOES it have that LCL streak/ring around it? (Maybe Ornette said something about this, I don't remember.)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Jinroh » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:15 pm

Well, if we had a map it would be easy to tell if it's a sequel or not, since there would be a gigantic hole in the middle of Japan.

AchtungAffen
Banned

Postby AchtungAffen » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:24 pm

That may be why certain geographical references from the old Eva are gone in Weva.
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby cat42 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:29 pm

We see Japan during the blackout scene. It seemed whole to me.
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Jinroh » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:56 am

cat42 wrote:We see Japan during the blackout scene. It seemed whole to me.

Do you have a screenshot? If we can be sure that Japan has exactly the same shape, it would strongly contradict the theory that it's a sequel.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:48 pm

Jinroh wrote:Do you have a screenshot? If we can be sure that Japan has exactly the same shape, it would strongly contradict the theory that it's a sequel.

If they were at least somewhat attentive, much of Japan should be missing due to the rising ocean. The part that would be missing as a result of 3I is the Hakone region (would be a giant crater).

However, I suspect proponents of the theory would probably allow for Hakone's miraculous restoration much as they would the restoration of the Geofront itself, along with Lilith's return to a 40m-tall, crucified blob after swelling into an enormous teenage girl and resting in pieces, and many other things.

Also, a reply from Jin-Roh that got left behind due to LAAAAAAG:

Jinroh wrote:The point is, are you sure the geofront is at the exact same location?
And, what if another new egg was sent to earth? If rebuild is a sequel, it would happen thousands of years after the end, we don't know anything about it.

I don't support any theory, we don't know enough yet to determine such thing.

What we know though is that there's a lilith looking giant on the moon, and an angel looking giant in the central dogma. Plus, there's an unknown angel...

If rebuild is just a "retold" of what evangelion was, why changing such important things in the scenario? We'll have to wait until ep2 or the final to get real answers... Or maybe anno is just playing with us and we'll never be able to tell if it's a sequel or not.

I feel like we'll end up speculating for years again...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

V
Banned

Postby V » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:27 pm

Who's to say its the same Lilith...?
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

universalperson
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby universalperson » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:37 pm

The reason no-one made this thread was because you kept saying that any mention of it would delay the DVD release, oh mighty Reichu.

But anyways, I'm of the opinon that if it IS a sequel, its not as much of a sequel as we think. I'm of the opinon that Third Impact litterally "remade" the world via Quantum Magic, and the red stuff everywhere is just what was left behind. Like the future overlaying itself on the past.

Although it would be cool if another movie pointed out a giant crater.

Anyway, calling it now: There are two Shinji Ikari's. The second one is currently in the Moon Giant, which is Eva-06, which was the previous reality's Eva-01. He's the pilot coming down from the moon, not Kaworu as we are all being led to believe. Oh, and the second Shinji is the Third Angel, the psychotically insane Samael.
Avatar courtesy of RetroRainbow, and the Eva art book.

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Jinroh » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:46 pm

Is it really useful to post stuffs like that? ... :smirk:

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:13 pm

Reichu wrote:
Jinroh wrote:Do you have a screenshot? If we can be sure that Japan has exactly the same shape, it would strongly contradict the theory that it's a sequel.

If they were at least somewhat attentive, much of Japan should be missing due to the rising ocean. The part that would be missing as a result of 3I is the Hakone region (would be a giant crater).

However, I suspect proponents of the theory would probably allow for Hakone's miraculous restoration much as they would the restoration of the Geofront itself, along with Lilith's return to a 40m-tall, crucified blob after swelling into an enormous teenage girl and resting in pieces, and many other things.

Also, a reply from Jin-Roh that got left behind due to LAAAAAAG:

Jinroh wrote:The point is, are you sure the geofront is at the exact same location?
And, what if another new egg was sent to earth? If rebuild is a sequel, it would happen thousands of years after the end, we don't know anything about it.

I don't support any theory, we don't know enough yet to determine such thing.

What we know though is that there's a lilith looking giant on the moon, and an angel looking giant in the central dogma. Plus, there's an unknown angel...

If rebuild is just a "retold" of what evangelion was, why changing such important things in the scenario? We'll have to wait until ep2 or the final to get real answers... Or maybe anno is just playing with us and we'll never be able to tell if it's a sequel or not.

I feel like we'll end up speculating for years again...

Entire post quoted for truth. This is exactly the problem I have with a stupid theory like that. (Note: I put in my Ramiel-Kaworu theory for dibs; even if I don't exactly believe my own theory, I think it's a whole sight better than the "Adam and Eve" theory.)
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

flatulant
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby flatulant » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:22 pm

UrsusArctos wrote:my Ramiel-Kaworu theory

what is that?

UrsusArctos

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:03 pm

That Kaworu is actually the vessel for the Angel Ramiel this time around.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:38 pm

Personally, I'm simply waiting to find out what happens with whether or not this is true.

Like I stated before several times, it's simply too soon to tell.

However, if we're simply speculating in this thread... ;)
There's always the possibility this is either a giant mindfuck by Anno, or is a sequel (which it that case, I'd say Lilith, Adam or that possible 3rd SoL(?? Moon Giant lol) had something to do with making things as they currently are.

And if course, there's always the chance there's some middle ground with Rebuild, too. For example, Kaworu and Rei 3 being who they are, they could have simply traveled back in time/Quantum Physics or some such thing.

Until we find out more, :shrug:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

EvaCub
Ireul
Ireul

Postby EvaCub » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:29 am

Im going with the red bath water as an omen to a dead Misato
Last edited by EvaCub on Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Anime List
Apjak:"Basically, to make an A.T. field gun, you'd have to make a gun that fires Evangelions. Not a very efficient use.
SailorStarDust:"No, everything has SOME meaning to it in Eva!"
Reichu on Sequel Theory:lights bandwagon on fire again:

EvaCub
Ireul
Ireul

Postby EvaCub » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:29 am

Sailor Star Dust wrote:There's always the possibility this is a giant mindfuck by Anno

:woohoo:
My Anime List
Apjak:"Basically, to make an A.T. field gun, you'd have to make a gun that fires Evangelions. Not a very efficient use.
SailorStarDust:"No, everything has SOME meaning to it in Eva!"
Reichu on Sequel Theory:lights bandwagon on fire again:

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”