[Fic] COMPLETE (rebuild)

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

Shiro
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Shiro » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:33 pm

OK, then. Sorry for the long delay, the holidays got to me. I'm half-done with 1.35 too, so that'll be up soon.

1.3: Tousou (とうそう)

His fist smashed directly into my cheek. He hit hard. The impact pushed me to the ground. It hurt. I wiped the saliva from my mouth where he impacted, and I turned to look at him. His arm quavered for a second before he withdrew it, and cracked his knuckles.

“Sorry, transfer student, but I’ve got to beat you up! I won’t feel right until I’ve smacked you.”

The other boy, freckled and glasses-wearing, bent down to my level and whispered to me in a friendly tone, “Sorry, his little sister was injured in the incident the other day.”

He stood up, and looked down to me. “Well, there you have it,” he said as he turned around. The two boys, Suzuhara Toji and Aida Kensuke, I gathered, turned to walk away.

I deserved that. I deserve a lot more than that. But…

“I’m not piloting it by choice either,” I said, almost to myself.

Toji turned sharply and walked quickly back to me. He picked me up by the collar of my shirt and stared at me, his angry brown eyes boring into my withdrawn blue ones. I didn’t look him in the eye. He growled at me, and then hit me again, throwing me onto the hard concrete. The impact pushed my cheek into my teeth, and the inside of my mouth bled. I didn’t move to get up this time. I lay on the concrete, once again completely withdrawn from the world. I stared at the blue sky, and the sound of cicadas was all I heard. I lay there for quite a while, remembering today’s events.

Multicolored lights flashed in front of me. I sat in the Entry Plug, wearing the blue and white skintight uniform that Misato had given me that morning. She called it my plug suit. It was very uncomfortable; I felt as if I was being choked. I didn’t complain, however. I knew enough to know not to complain. Ritsuko’s voice came in from the speaker.

“Good morning, Shinji-kun. How are you?”

How am I…How indeed…

“I’m getting used to it. It’s not bad.” I replied. An appropriately vague answer to an uncomfortable question.

“That’s good,” Ritsuko replied. Her voice tone changed, and immediately became business-like.

“Have you memorized the positions of all the Eva emergence points, emergency power junctions, armament buildings, and recovery zones?”

Yeah, I’ve not had much else to do anyway.

“I think so.”

“Then, I’ll review it one more time.” She didn’t sound convinced.

“Normally, the Eva runs directly off electricity provided by an umbilical cable. In emergencies, it can switch to an internal battery, with an active life of one minute at full power, and no more than five minutes in the minimal activity gain mode. This is the limitations of our current technology. Do you understand?”

“Yes.” They’d gone over this hundreds of times. It wasn’t that difficult to understand. Basically, don’t let the cable get cut. And if it does, retreat and find a new cable.

“Now, let’s continue from where we left off yesterday. We’ll initiate Induction Mode.”

Shooting practice…

The lights came on in front of me, revealing a scale model of Tokyo-3. In front of me stood a startlingly accurate recreation of the Angel. My heart accelerated slightly every time I saw it. I raised the rifle in my hand. I heard a beeping noise behind me; the activation timer had begun counting down. Targeting crosshairs came up on the viewscreen.

“Position the target in the center, then switch ‘on.’”

I aimed and squeezed the trigger on the handles next to my chair. The rifle fired, and the shots flew just over the Angel’s head.

“Calm down. Position the target in the center.”

“Switch,” I whispered.

The shots found their mark this time; the Angel replica fell down and exploded.

“Next,” Ritsuko instructed. I fired. My eyes glazed over; I followed my instructions and carried out the drill.

Target in the center, pull the switch. Target in the center, pull the switch. Target in the center, pull the switch. Target in the center, pull the switch. Target in the center…

I dropped the trash bag into the marked area, then turned to walk to school. Today was Thursday; it was burnable trash day, so Misato had instructed me to drop off the trash on the way to school. I didn’t mind. If I didn’t do it, it wouldn’t get done, seeing as there was no way Misato would do it. I put my free hand in my pocket, and realized I had forgotten my cellular phone. Misato had given me one on my first day of school. I accepted it gratefully of course, not that I needed it. I had no one to call, after all. My school was close by our apartment, so if I needed to talk to Misato, I could just walk home. She wouldn’t answer the phone anyway. It’s not like there was anyone else I’d ever need to speak to on a regular basis.

As I walked to school, I saw quite a few of my classmates walking along the same sidewalk. Most of them lived nearby, but there weren’t many of them left. Most had already left the area, and the recent battle made even more leave. There was no reason to stay in a place where you were at risk, after all.

A group of them walked ahead of me, chatting avidly: about the recent battle, no doubt. They took no notice of me, not that I made it easier. I preferred to stay alone anyway. It made things simpler. I had long ago stopped longing for companionship. It wasn’t for me. Still, I felt a small twang of jealousy whenever I saw these sorts of people. Why did they get to be happy, and not me?

Stop. Just stop thinking. We’re not going down that road again.

I reached into my pocket and pulled out my SDAT player. I set it to track #25, and continued to walk.

Eventually, I reached the school. Classroom 2-A. I walked inside, my SDAT still playing. I took a seat at the front of the classroom, away from everyone. I looked around the classroom. People were talking excitedly all around, but I felt no urge to make my presence known. Almost everyone was sitting with someone else, save for one person. Ayanami sat alone, next to a window. She was staring outside, completely withdrawn. Her injured arm was now in a cast. I sat alone as well, and simply tuned out.

The lunch bell rang. Instead of sitting in the classroom with the other students, I walked outside. I climbed the staircase to the roof of the school. I lay down and stared upwards at the sky.

So peaceful…everything looks so peaceful up there. Not like here. Why can’t I just float away, like the clouds…

After a while, Toji had shown up, and brought me back to Earth. Something always seemed to come to bring me back.

Why can’t I ever just be alone? Why does someone always have to come drag me back? What’s wrong with being in my own world? It’s better for everyone that way.

I stared upwards at nothing, simply staring, like always. Track #26 rang through my head. I could have been lying there for hours, or maybe only a few minutes, but eventually, a shadow was cast over my eyes. I turned, and saw a green school uniform skirt. Looking up, I saw that it was Ayanami. We looked at each other for a second, before she spoke. It was the first time I had ever heard her speak. Her voice was flat and monotonous, but it had an odd quality to it, just like the rest of her. Something about it was soothing.

“An emergency call. I’ll go on ahead.”

She turned away immediately, and ran away, down the stairs.

An emergency? An Angel…?
Rebuild of Evangelion 1.0: YOU ARE (NOT) ALONE -My fanfic. COMPLETE, HAHA! 2/25/08.
2.0: YOU ARE (NOT) WORTHLESS: Updated (!!) 7/14/08
Nigecha dame da...
"Kaworu is not a character. Kaworu is a plot device. Kaworu sucks." -Reichu

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:48 pm

Good job with this chapter, glad to know I could help with it. ^_^
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Shiro
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Shiro » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:32 am

Somehow I wonder if anyone but SSD is reading this these days, but oh well. I'll plod through and see it through to the end. I'm back on schedule now, with 1.35.

REBUILD OF
EVANGELION
1.35: Battle

“Entry procedure, initiated. LCL oxygenated.”

I opened my eyes, and the lights came on in front of me. I was once again sitting in the Entry Plug.

Why am I piloting this thing, even though my father’s not here?

I didn’t feel any obligation towards these people. I didn’t know why I even agreed to pilot this thing in the first place.

So why, then? Why do I keep coming back here? I just caused pain by piloting anyway…

The memory of Toji and his sister came to mind. His sister was hurt because I had no talent for piloting. I won simply by luck, but it wasn’t a real victory. Not if someone gets hurt. And then because of my foolishness, I got hurt as well.

Even though I got beat up…

I heard a beeping from behind me; Misato’s voice came through the speakers.

“Shinji-kun, are you ready to head out?”

I am, but I don’t really want to. But if I don’t do it, no one else will, I guess. And they’ll just get mad at me anyway.

“Yes,” I replied.

“Listen to me,” Ritsuko instructed, “Neutralize the enemy’s AT Field, then fire a volley from the machine gun. Do it just like we practiced. Can you handle that?”

“Yes.”

“LAUNCH!” Misato yelled.

The launch sequence initiated; I was catapulted up through the shaft. I completely cleared my mind as I went upwards, concentrating on nothing but the battle at hand. But the memory of Toji’s sister kept coming back to me…

It’s too late to go back now…

I came up in the center of Tokyo-3. As Ritsuko instructed, I concentrated on expanding my AT Field. This was the one part of piloting that came natural to me, I don’t know how. But raising an AT Field was the only thing I could do without trouble.

“The AT Field has been deployed.” Maya, a technician.

“Target in the center, pull the switch…” I whispered to myself.

“Do it just as planned, OK, Shinji-kun?” Ritsuko.

“Right,” I said.

I turned sharply from the launch pad, and fired the machine gun I had been given. I didn’t have time to get a good look at the Angel, I simply fired at what looked like the Angel without a second thought. Smoke from the impact hid the enemy from view soon after. I continued to fire, mind empty. Soon, the gun was out of ammo. And then…

What the…?

Whips of what looked like energy came flying from behind the smoke. I raised my arms to defend myself, but the force of the whip caused me to fall. My gun was sliced in two, and the entry elevator was destroyed.

“I’m sending you a spare rifle,” Misato called, “Take it!”

I barely heard her. I was scared. I was shaking all over. This wasn’t something I was meant to do. I wasn’t cut out for it. I couldn’t move.

“Shinji-kun? SHINJI-KUN!”

The Angel began to advance towards me, and for the first time, I could see it. It was similar to a centipede-like insect that was able to stand upright. It had two thin arms that the whips attached to. The entire body was red. Its most striking feature was its chest area. It appeared as if someone had removed the skin covering its ribcage, revealing a spinal cord and its ribs, which twitched. Its core was located directly above the ribcage, barely visible.

The Angel glided forward, to me. Its whips twitched menacingly as it moved. My fear grew with every second. It flung its whips at me, and I was barely able to spring out of the way. I did the only thing I could do. Run.

I ran as fast as I could, the Angel’s whips mere inches from my back. The Angel’s whips sliced down building after building as they came closer to me.

Come on, come on! I can’t die now! I’m not ready! I used to think that I wouldn’t care if I died, but now that the moment is here…I’m not done yet! I don’t want to die!

I pushed harder, but the Angel’s whips were faster. They sliced at my ankle, and tripped me up. I fell backwards.

Oh, no…

It sliced at me again rapidly, but none of the attacks seemed to do real damage. I was just pushed backwards.

Did he miss?

I heard a beeping behind me, and a countdown. The Entry Plug’s lights turned red. Panic was all over my face.

“The umbilical cable has been severed.” Aoba, a technician.

“Eva has switched to its internal battery source.” Hyuga, another technician.

Oh no. No!

“4 minutes, 53 seconds of activation time remaining.” Maya, the third technician.

I stumbled to my feet, shaking.

I’m not finished…I’ve got five minutes. I can do this.

I heard the sound of the whips, and all of the sudden, I was thrown to the ground once again. The Angel had grabbed my ankle. It threw me backwards with more force than I could have imagined it possessed. I flew backwards, and landed on the side of a hill. If I had been afraid before, I was completely frozen by panic now. I shook violently; this was far too much. I was going to die here. I was going to die. I heard Misato calling my name, but I didn’t register more than buzzing.

I looked up to face my enemy, and when I did, I saw small figures out of the corner of my eye.

It couldn’t be…

I looked at them directly. It was. Between the fingers of my hand, cowered Toji and Kensuke.

Oh, no.

I couldn’t make out their facial expressions on the viewscreen, but it was obvious they were terrified. And they were going to die because of me. Because I couldn’t fight. Because I wasn’t good enough. Because I just ran.

No! What do I do! If I fight, they’ll be crushed for sure; I can’t see them well enough to avoid them up here. And if I run, they’ll die. What do I do? Damn…it…

The Angel advanced towards me. Its whips lashed out at me. I didn’t have time to move, and I didn’t want to hurt Toji or Kensuke by accident, either. I did the only thing I could. I caught the whips with my hands. They burned to the touch, but I endured. Once again, the flaw in the Eva’s design, the fact that I felt the pain as well, angered me. But this time, I had a reason to endure. I couldn’t just let them die.

“Unit 01 activation time remaining, 3 minutes, 28 seconds.” Maya’s voice.

“Shinji-kun, let them into the cockpit!” Misato instructed.

That’s right! If they’re inside the Eva, I can fight without hurting them!

“Once you’ve got them, make a temporary retreat. We’ll regroup.”

“Unit 01’s remaining activation time, 3 minutes.” Maya again.

Will it be enough…?

“Hold Eva on your current commands and eject the Entry Plug. Hurry up!”

I focused on the idea of ejecting, since everything was controlled by my thoughts. The lights went out in the Entry Plug, and I felt the pressure in my head go away. Misato’s voice rang out over the speakers.

“You two! Get in! Hurry!”

I heard the hatch open and then close, and the splashing of the LCL.

“What the…it’s water?” Toji’s voice.

“My camera! My camera!” Kensuke.

He brought his camera? Of course…

As soon as they were inside, I pressed a button on the side of my chair, re-inserting the plug. The familiar pressure came back, and my hands were being burned once again. I held onto the whips as hard as I could.

Wait…I can fight now!

I pulled back on the whips, then threw them forward. I stood up, still shaking. The armour was burned off of my hands, revealing what looked like human flesh.

“Now! Retreat!” Misato yelled, “Recovery route 34, retreat to the east side of the mountain.”

I wasn’t listening.

I mustn’t run away. I mustn’t run away. I mustn’t run away. I mustn’t run away…

“Hey, new kid, she said, ‘Retreat!’” Toji urged, “New kid!”

“I mustn’t run away. I mustn’t run away.”

I looked up at my foe.

“I mustn’t run away!”

I drew the knife from my shoulder pylon. The Evangelion’s all-purpose weapon, the progressive knife. When I pulled it out, it began to vibrate. I stared at my foe, eyes glazed over.

“Obey my orders, Shinji-kun! You’ve got to retreat! Shinji-kun!”

I heard a beep behind me. The lights in the Entry Plug turned red. The timer had reached one minute. I screamed, and dashed for my enemy.

“AAAAAAAH!”

The Angel’s whips lunged at me again, and I didn’t even attempt to dodge. They pierced my armour, and went straight through my chest. I lunged forward and plunged the knife into its core. I continued to scream as loud as I could; all the frustration and anger and jealousy and loneliness and all of my other feelings that I had inside me came bursting forth, triggered by the sounding of that timer. Tears welled up in my eyes. I released it all into the attack.

“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!”

The knife’s vibrations grinded the inside of the core, but the Angel’s whips began to wave back and forth in my chest, creating a similar effect. And I was running out of time. But I was oblivious to all of that. I pushed forward with both the Evangelion and my real body, screaming and crying. The timer reached 15 seconds. The viewscreen fizzled off.

“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!”

Finally, I heard cracking in the core, right as the Eva’s timer hit 0. The lights went off. I stopped screaming. I cried.

Outside, I heard an explosion, but I didn’t know what happened. I supposed that the Angel exploded, but I wasn’t paying attention, nor did I care. I simply collapsed forward and cried. Tears fell from my face onto my arms. I hadn’t cried in years; but I couldn’t hold it in any longer. Everything, everything that had happened just overwhelmed me. And it all came back to him.

Father, how could you do this to me? Father? FATHER! Mother…

I cried until I was out of tears. Then I passed out. Darkness overtook my consciousness, and I rested. That was the only time I really could rest, anyway.
Rebuild of Evangelion 1.0: YOU ARE (NOT) ALONE -My fanfic. COMPLETE, HAHA! 2/25/08.
Nigecha dame da...

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:25 pm

Nice job Shiro! I like how you portrayed Shinji in this chapter! ^_^

Wevangeliwon
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Wevangeliwon » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:42 pm

I am still reading.

I like the way you have betrayed Shinji in this entire thing. In character, sometimes slightly detatched (like he would be) and rebellious thoughts. You have really developed him, especially at the end of .35.

I will be interested how you will handle four. The normal way or Rebuild? Because Rebuild essentially cuts the episode down to six minutes (if you've seen the rip) and I would be interested to see Shinji's emotions. If you want, I can describe what happens.

Shiro
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Shiro » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:33 pm

Betrayed? Huh? Oh, and I did forget to mention you; you hadn't posted a response to last chapter, so slipped my mind. Gomen ne.

I plan to do 1.4 more developed than Webuild, but nothing different will happen. As in, I'm gonna see if I can do a decent string of thoughts, without much real real word action. But I'm gonna have to wait and see how it's gonna turn out.
Nigecha dame da...

Wevangeliwon
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Wevangeliwon » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:50 pm

Nah, I don't feel betrayed. I understand it probably slipped your mind.

Well, good like with 1.4. It sounds like it's going to be good.

Shiro
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Shiro » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:57 pm

No! You said, "I like the way you have betrayed Shinji in this entire thing."

So I was confused.
Nigecha dame da...

Wevangeliwon
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Wevangeliwon » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:02 am

Ah, sorry. No, portrayed.

Good luck. I am looking forward to your interpretation.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:54 pm

Heh, with somebody like Shinji, maybe saying "Betrayed" isn't so bad afterall.... :wink:

Shiro
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Shiro » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:49 pm

1.4: KODOKU (こどく)

“Why did you ignore my order?” Misato demanded.

I just looked at the changing room floor, clutching my water. I didn’t want to respond. There was no reason, after all. Anything I said would just make her angry. It’d be better just to sit and wait it out. If you just sit and wait, adults always stop raging. They just get tired of it. But if I didn’t say something, she’d think I was ignoring her. So I just acknowledged her, my face betraying no emotion whatsoever.

“I’m sorry.”

“I’m the one who’s in charge of your operations, right?”

“Yes.”

But I’m the one in the Eva…I don’t see YOU risking YOUR life.

“You have a duty to obey my orders. Do you understand?”

“Yes.”

Just agree with all they have to say, and they’ll leave me alone…

“I’m warning you, never do it again.”

“Yes.”

“Do you really understand what I’m saying!?” She turned to look at me.

I almost chuckled. It was impossible to not understand. You’re the boss, I’m the drone. I do what you say, everything gets done, we’re all happy. Except me.

“Yes.”

“Hey, you’re not going to get out of this by just saying yes to everything I say!”

I see. She’s serious. I’m actually going to have to say something. Misato-san’s…different from the rest.

“I know that. That’s enough, isn’t it? We won the battle anyway.”

She walked towards me and grabbed me by my collar of my shirt. She pulled me from my seat, so she was looking directly at my face. Her voice rose, she was noticeably angry now. But why, I couldn’t understand.

We won. It’s over. Does it really matter how?

“You know, it may seem easy to go along with whatever anyone else wants, but if you get into the Eva with that attitude, it’ll kill you!”

So now she cares if I live or die? Yeah, sure. I don’t even care about that. All she cares about is killing the Angels. It’s her job. They’re all the same. Who cares if I live or die? Whatever happens, happens. No one will miss me after all. Ayanami will be healthy soon, so I can just die for all they’ll care.

I turned my face away from her.

“I don’t care.”

Misato stood up. Her face fell. She seemed noticeably bothered by this. She let go, and I fell backwards onto my seat. I was actually surprised a little.

“It’d be nice if I could say that you’ve got the right attitude, but if you expect to get any praises out of me, you’re wrong, Ikari Shinji-kun.”

Praise? What does that matter? It’d be hollow anyway. It’s never sincere. My teacher gave me praise plenty of times, but I knew by the sound of his voice that it was just for show. Nothing I do is worthy of praise…

“That’s not the point. In any case, I’m the only one who can pilot it, aren’t I?”

For the first time, I betrayed a hint of emotion. My eyes narrowed slightly, in sadness. They began to itch slightly.

“I’ll do it.”

“The next station is Nagao Toge, Nagao Toge. The exit will switch to the right side.”

My SDAT switched to Track 26. I sat alone inside the crowded train. I was unaware of how long I had been gone. I wasn’t aware of anything at all. I simply was. I sat alone; isolated; separate from the rest of the world, my mind blank. The train was crowded; there was barely any room to move. But no one took any notice of the forlorn looking fourteen year old boy sitting alone. No one cared. I was completely alone.

Slowly, people filed out of the train, a few at each stop. I didn’t move. I wasn’t going anywhere. I was just going wherever it took me. I was just running. Because I was a coward. A spineless, cowardly, selfish loser. And that was fine with me. No one cared what I felt like. They just used me for their own ends, then tossed me aside when I didn’t work like they wanted.

My SDAT switched back to track 25. More people filed in, as others left. I was the only original passenger left on the train. Two girls dressed in school uniforms—I could only tell by their shoes; I wasn’t looking up, I was staring at the floor—stood in front of me.

“Hey, you’re kinda cute,” one giggled.

“Yeah,” the other one agreed, “What’s your name?”

I didn’t respond, of course. I was surprised I even heard them at all. I had no desire to respond. I supposed that a normal boy would be eager to respond, and try to “put the moves” on them, as Misato-san put it. Of course, I wasn’t normal at all. It didn’t matter to me. Why would I do something so stupid anyway? I’d only be hurt again. So why bother?

I pretended not to have heard them, and continued to sit. Alone.

We passed through a tunnel. My SDAT switched to track 26.

I don’t know how long I sat. It could have been hours for all I knew. I sat, cycling between tracks 25 and 26, lost in my own world. Eventually, I was the only passenger on the train. When it stopped, a voice came over the speaker.

“Thank you for using Tokyo-3 Loop Seven. The train will be going out of service at this station. Please, take all of your belongings as you exit the train.”

I looked up.

“I’ve got to go back.”

My SDAT switched to track 26. I stood up and left the train.

“Hey there! We’re offering you a great bargain!”

“Hot young babes serving heavenly refreshment!”

“Special services to heal your tired body, services to fill you with energy!”

Pathetic…people are pathetic…why do people need others to fill the voids in their lives? Relations with other people just cause pain. They never make you feel better. Once it’s over, you just feel worse. So why even try?

I wandered through the city, streets filled with nightlife. I wasn’t sure what city I was in. It didn’t matter. I wandered aimlessly, trudging along the sidewalk, track 26 blaring in my ears. Lights danced in my eyes, neon signs were everywhere. I sped up.

It was getting dark. I looked up at the sky. Not a single star shone; the light from the city blocked it all out. The moon was visible, however. It looked so alone, separated from the stars. I stopped for a moment and stared at it. The bright red stain on its face seemed to sparkle.

Blood…it looks like blood. I’d never thought of it that way before…

I yawned. I realized now that I had stopped that I was exhausted. I looked up at a clock in the window of one of the stores. It was 3:30.

I need to sleep...

I wandered down the street, looking for a place where I could stay. I had gone a few blocks when I realized that I had no money.

Dammit…

I yawned again. I could barely walk. I trudged down the street, until I came to an alley in between two buildings. It was dark, but I could see it didn’t go too far back. I walked down the alley, and sat down against the wall.

I guess I’ll sleep here…

Some old cardboard lay next to me. I picked it up, and covered myself with it. I lay down, track 25 filling my ears. I was tired. I wanted to sleep. And if I was lucky, I wouldn’t wake up.

I’m so pathetic…

I awoke. I was cold. The batteries in my SDAT had ran out.

Dammit.

I stood up, shaking.

Where do I go now? Where do I have TO go?

I walked out of the alley, and began to walk aimlessly along the sidewalk again. I didn’t know where I was going, and I didn’t care. I just walked.

I looked up at the sky again. The sun wasn’t visible; the sky was covered in clouds. A low fog hung over the distance. I continued along the sidewalk. I walked for hours. I soon began seeing signs warning me of a dead end. I continued to walk forward.

After a while, I saw what the signs were warning me of. Ahead of me stood a half-finished bridge, construction equipment strewn all over. The end of the bridge was jagged, and loomed high above the ground below. I walked out to the end of the bridge. A familiar blankness came over my mind.

I want to die.

I stood, facing the edge.

I have nothing. Who would care if I just took this last step? People would be better off. They don’t need me. No one does.

I looked down. I couldn’t see the bottom; it was obscured by fog.

I’ve wanted to die for a long time. And now I have a chance. I may as well just take it. Whatever’s waiting out there couldn’t be worse than what I have here…

I took a deep breath. I smiled. I lifted my foot off the ground.

/Ikari-kun?/

I pulled my foot back.

No. This isn’t right.

My smile faded; tears welled up in my eyes.

I can’t do it. I can’t do it. I’m so worthless, that I can’t even end my life. I’m weak, spineless, a coward. And if I were to end it now, then I’d just hurt more people. Because, at least for now, they need me. Maybe not for much longer, but for now, they need me. I can’t end it yet…

Tears flowed freely from my eyes. I slumped down against a nearby crate and cried.

I’m so pathetic…
Nigecha dame da...

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:33 pm

SSD approves. :asuka_thumbsup:

(And ZOMG teh Smilies are here!)

Just of out curiosity, did you give me credit for helping you with this chapter? (I dunno if I really helped much anyway ^^; )

Shiro
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Shiro » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:36 pm

I give you credit, and in the postscript I'll put together upon completing 1.65, I'll give you an overall special thanks. You've helped me immeasurably with all of these chapters. :clap:

EDIT: As of 1/19/07, I have exactly 2500 views on ff.net. Yay me!
Nigecha dame da...

Shiro
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Shiro » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:13 pm

So, after my 2500 view milestone, here comes a really short chapter! I can't believe I'm over halfway done...and to think this all started as random doodles in math class...

REBUILD OF
EVANGELION:
1.45: YOU ARE (NOT) ALONE

I awoke.

Dammit.

“You are Ikari Shinji-kun, aren’t you?”

I looked up. Standing in front of me were five stern looking men in black suits. Obviously Nerv personnel. They must have woken me up.

They’ve come to take me back…finally. I can’t take this anymore.

“Yes.”

“We’re Nerv Security Intelligence. Under Article 8 of the Security Act, we’re taking you to headquarters.”

“It’s fine. Please, take me to where Misato-san is!”

Why do I want to go back there? I’m miserable there too…but I suppose anything is better than where I am now. And there’s still something about Misato-san…maybe she does want to help. Maybe I was wrong not to trust her. I just don’t know. But I do know that I don’t want to be alone anymore. I hate it. I hate everything about it. I hate the feeling of having everyone around me happy, but I myself just want to die. I can’t take it anymore. But most of all, I hate myself.

I sat in a dark room. No light came in. It was a holding cell, I supposed. I sat on a small stool against the wall, the Nerv logo painted on the wall behind me. I sat there, not thinking at all, just praying that Misato-san would come in to talk to me.

I probably sat there for hours before I heard footsteps outside the door. I made no movement, but inwardly, I was happy. The door opened, and light flooded into the room. Misato stood in the light, looking over at me.

“Do you feel better after wandering around, Ikari Shinji-kun?”

No. Now that I know that I hate being alone, I feel worse. Because I am still alone. Even though I’m around other people, they don’t care about me. All this has done is shown me just how pathetic I am. And I had to come back. If I didn’t, everyone would die. I have to pilot Eva, at least for now. Ayanami can’t do it yet. So they need me.

“Not really. I don't care what happens to me. I don't have any freedom anyway. It seems like I have no choice but to pilot Eva. That's the reason Father called me. It's fine. I'll pilot it. It's for everyone, so I'm fine.”

Misato looked down at me, a saddened look on her face.

“Everyone? What about you?”

“I know it doesn’t matter. I’m certain everyone knows that. But injured Ayanami, you, and Father…”

Her voice rose again.

“CUT THAT OUT! WHO CARES WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK!”

I looked up, shocked. No one had ever gone that far before. And deep down, I knew that I was just making excuses.

But still…if I do things for myself, people will just reject me, like always. If I just go along with them, I may not be altogether happy, but people at least won’t hate me…

Misato’s voice went softer again. She turned from me, and looked at the floor.

“To continue piloting is your decision. If you don’t like it here, go back to your old life. Do whatever you want. It’s fine.”

I don’t want to go back there. I know that now for sure. I can’t go back. And I mustn’t run away.

I pulled my arm back, and then let it fly at Toji’s cheek. When I pulled it back, I saw that he was bleeding slightly from the mouth. A bruise was beginning to form over his tan skin. I was surprised that I could hit so hard.

“Ouch,” Kensuke exclaimed.

Toji looked up at me and smiled. Kensuke did the same.

I feel weird… These guys…Toji…he felt bad about hitting me? So he asked me to hit him back? No one’s ever treated me like this before. Is this what friendship feels like?

I looked up at them, and smiled back.

Maybe…maybe I can finally not be alone anymore.
Nigecha dame da...

Shiro
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Shiro » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:28 pm

1.5: AKAI METSUKI (赤いめつき)

“Why does my father need me to do this?” I wondered aloud.

I stood outside the door to Ayanami’s apartment, Room 402. Everything about the apartment building was squalid, from the trash littering the floors to the numerous broken windows. I was shocked that anyone even lived in this building anymore, especially a fourteen year old girl. But sure enough, the door in front of me had a tarnished nameplate that read “Ayanami,” so I knew I was in the right place.

The mail slot on the door was completely full and overstuffed; obviously, Ayanami didn’t care about her mail. She wouldn’t get it if I left it there, so I pressed on the doorbell button twice. No sound came from the inside.

I came all this way, and Father will be made at me if Rei can’t come to her re-activation test later today, so I’d better find some way to get it to her…

I tried the door handle, and I was shocked to find that it was unlocked.

Odd…oh well. I guess I’ll leave the card on a desk or something.

I opened the door, and peered inside.

“Excuse me!” I called.

No answer.

“Excuse me, it’s Ikari.” I called again.

I stepped inside hesitantly.

“Ayanami, I’m coming in.” I called once again, in case she could hear.

I took my shoes off gingerly. The front door opened to the kitchen, which was filled with dirty dishes. Dirty footprints covered the floor. I tiptoed forward into the room ahead, which I supposed was her bedroom.

I’ll leave the card he…wow. Is this really a girl’s room?

If the rest of the apartment building had been dirty, this was even worse. Trash, clothes, and bandages littered the floor. The room was unlit; the light bulb was burned out. The only light came from cracks in the window curtains. Her school uniform was haphazardly scattered on her bed—which was unmade—and the pillow was covered in blood. A revolving hangar hung above her bed with undergarments suspended from it. A box filled with bloody bandages sat next to a refrigerator with what looked to be medicine on top, and a bag of trash hanging from the side.

How could ANYONE live in this filth? Not even Misato is this bad!

The only clean thing in the room was a small dresser by the window. It was short and wooden, and the top drawer was slightly open, revealing more undergarments. On top of it sat a few books, and a pair of glasses. Curious, I walked closer. As I approached the dresser, I saw that the glasses were cracked.

“Are these hers?”

I don’t know why, but I decided to pick them up and put them on. They fit my head strangely well.

These must be HIS.

I heard the sliding of a door behind me. Shocked, I turned around. My vision was blurred, due to the cracked glasses, but I could make out a figure in front of me with blue hair. A nude figure, covered only by a towel. It was Ayanami.

Oh no! Oh my god, this can’t be happening.

My insides squirmed, my face contorted as I tried to muster an explanation. She began to walk quickly towards me. I stepped back, embarrassed and scared. My legs ran into the dresser. Ayanami continued to approach, until she was standing directly in front of me. She reached forward and removed the glasses from my hand. Surprised, I tried to continue to go backwards, but the dresser was in my way. I slipped, and began to fall forward. I reached out for support, and grabbed onto Rei as I fell, knocking her over as well. I heard a crash; the strap of my book bag had caught on the top drawer’s knob, and its contents spilled all over the floor.

The next thing I knew, I was staring directly into Ayanami’s eyes. They were a piercing red.

Red…Red eyes. They’re…beautiful. But they seem so far away.

For what seemed like a long while, we stared at each other. I couldn’t tell how long it was. Eventually, however, I heard Ayanami speak for the first time.

“Do you mind moving?” she said shortly.

Her voice snapped me back to reality. I realized where I was. I was lying on top of her. And she was nude.

I jumped up sharply, thoroughly embarrassed and ashamed. As she stood up, I backed up to give her room. I averted my eyes from her body, even though I had an overpowering desire to look. She turned around and walked to her bed, where she began to dress herself in front of me.

Huh? Doesn’t she have ANY MODESTY? No girl would be like this. This is just crazy! And I can’t believe that happened…how embarrassing. She’ll hate me forever.

“What is it?” Once again, her voice interrupted my thoughts.

I turned away from her, and began to attempt to explain myself, but the words wouldn’t come out.

“Well, I mean…I was…”

I turned to look at her, and saw that she was still getting dressed. Embarrassed, I turned again.

“I was asked to, so…”

My hand twitched behind my back. Sweat trickled down my face. I was blushing bright red.

“What was it? Card! Your card! It’s been renewed! I was asked to…deliver…it…”

I found that my mouth was full of saliva. I nervously swallowed, still unable to turn around.

“So…so I didn’t mean for any of this to happen.”

I paused, before continuing. I heard the click of a case of some kind behind me.

“Misato told me that my father wanted me to deliver it to you…it’s true! I rang your bell, but there was no reply, and the door was unlocked. So…

A feeble excuse. She’s not going to believe me…How can I ever face her again?

I heard the door open and then close.

She’s gone…oh no! I never gave her the card, and she’s got to be headed to Nerv HQ…Dammit…I’m so ashamed.

I turned around, and followed her out. As I left, I saw that the glasses had been put neatly away inside a black case.

My father’s…
Nigecha dame da...

Shiro
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Shiro » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:50 pm

Quadruple post, seems like the only ones reading this are those in the IRC that have already read it. Ah, well. I'll post it anyway, just cause.

REBUILD OF
EVANGELION:
1.55: The Love of a Father

I followed Ayanami along the streets of Tokyo-3, not speaking. Ayanami walked briskly towards Nerv HQ, not acknowledging my presence in any manner. When we got to the train, she sat down immediately. I began to sit down next to her, but I glanced at her face. Her eyes didn’t even flicker to look at my face. It was unnerving. I decided to sit a few seats away.

What’s her problem? She’s like a robot!

I looked over at her, and saw that she was still staring at the exact same spot that she was when we sat down. She hadn’t moved an inch.

When the train stopped, we filed out and continued to walk in the same manner until we reached the security doors. Rei walked briskly to the door, and slid her card through the receptor, but the door didn’t open. She slid it again, with the same mechanical movement I’d observed this whole time.

Oh, I’d better give her the card.

I walked forward and slid her new card through the receptor, and the door promptly opened. I held it out to her.

“This is your new card. Ritsuko-san asked me to deliver it to you.”

For the first time, she actually looked at me. She stood for a second, looking at me, before snatching the card quickly from my hand, and then going on ahead.

She really is odd. She didn’t so much as thank me for delivering the card! Well, actually, I suppose it’s natural that she wouldn’t want to look at me, after what happened.

I followed ahead, still about five steps behind.

After a while, we came to one of the large escalators in Nerv HQ. It seemed to be moving at a snail’s pace, and standing anywhere near Ayanami was embarrassing. I prayed for the escalator to move faster.

She’s certainly strange; most girls would have slapped me or something after that. Maybe she realizes that it was an accident, and she’s just embarrassed. I guess I’ll just apologize, and her reaction should tell me what she’s really thinking.

“I’m sorry about earlier.”

She didn’t turn, and just responded in the same monotone.

“About what?”

WHAT? That makes NO SENSE? Is she honestly not aware that it’s embarrassing for a boy to see a girl naked?

I remained silent for a while, before I decided to change the subject.

“You have a re-activation experiment today, don’t you?”

No response. Every second I spent around her simply became more and more awkward.

“Wouldn’t it be great if it were successful this time?”

Still no response.

Maybe she does hate me, and just doesn’t want to talk to me. But still, for some reason I want to keep talking to her. It’s a bizarre feeling, but she seems familiar.

“Say, aren’t you afraid of getting in Unit 00 again?”

Maybe she’ll respond to an actual question…

“Why?”

Why? She was hospitalized for weeks after the last one, and in lots of pain! She’s crazy!

“I heard that you were hurt pretty badly in an earlier experiment, so I was wondering if you were okay about it.”

Maybe I’m getting too personal, but at least she’s responding. At this point, nothing I say could be more offensive than what just happened.

“Aren’t you Commander Ikari’s son?”

That was a response I wasn’t expecting.

Why does that matter?

“Yeah.”

“Don’t you have faith in your own father’s work?”

What the…

“Of course not! How could I trust him?”

She turned around and looked at me. Her expression changed for the first time, it actually appeared irritated. She stared at me for a few seconds, unmoving. The escalator reached the bottom floor.

“What?”

Her expression became even more irritated, and then she pulled her hand back and slapped me. She looked at me once more, before turning to walk away. I reached up and touched the spot on my cheek where I had been slapped. It stung. She slapped hard.

Huh? Why does she care that I hate my father? My father’s a horrible person! How could she ever defend him?

I stood with Misato, watching the re-activation through a window. It was my first look at Unit 00, as well. The unit was similar in appearance to my Unit 01, but Unit 00 was colored orange, with white stripes on the arms and white patches on its chestplate and where its ears would be. Its head was more like a traditional robot, and less humanoid than Unit 01. Unit 01’s face—aside from the horrible thing I saw after the battle with the first Angel; I had forced myself to forget that—was very human-like, while Unit 00’s was less angular and refined, with a single red eye in the center, as opposed to Unit 01’s two. Unit 00 also lacked a mouth. It was clear that Unit 00 was the prototype of the Evangelion series.

But then why is Unit-01 a Test Type? It seems to work fine, I wondered.

My father’s voice shook me from my thoughts. It came in through the speakers set up all throughout the area.

“We will now commence the Unit 00 re-activation experiment. First stage contact initiated.”

The atmosphere became immediately tense, as the experiment began. Misato and I watched with held breath as the technical readouts were read off as the experiment progressed.

“Connecting main power supply.” -Ritsuko.

“Activation voltage has passed the critical point.” –Maya

“Roger. Shift format to Phase 2.” –Ritsuko

“Connecting pilot to Unit 00.” –Aoba

“Opening circuits.” –Another technician

“Pulse and harmonics normal.”

“No problems detected in synchronization. All nerve links completed.”

So far, so good. Please, please work.

“Central nervous system elements are nominal.”

“Re-calculating, no error corrections.”

“Checklist is satisfactory up to 2590.”

I didn’t understand anything that they were talking about, and I could gather that Misato didn’t, either. But their voices sounded calm, at least, so I guessed everything was going OK.

“Approaching the absolute borderline.”-Maya

Here’s where it went wrong last time…please, work this time!

“2.5 more.”

“1.7, 1.2, 1.0,” Maya counted down to the point of no return. It would either work, or it wouldn’t.

Come on…

“0.8, 0.6,”

Come on…

“0.5, 0.4, 0.3, 0.2,”

COME ON!

“0.1, and rising. Borderline cleared.”

I exhaled my held breath, and I heard Misato do the same. It worked.

“Unit 00 has been activated.”

“Roger, beginning interlock test.” Rei’s voice. She sounded completely calm, as always.

“Roger.”

I looked over at Misato, she was smiling. I smiled as well. She was going to be OK.

I turned and walked out of the observation room, and headed for the changing room. I thought that I’d wait outside for Rei, to congratulate her.

I sat there for not even a minute before the alarm began to blare. An officer ran through the hallway to me, yelling.

“The Sixth Angel is approaching! Unit 01 is to be deployed immediately!”

What? No! Not now…I’m not ready for another battle yet. Oh well, it was going to happen soon enough.

I sat once again in the Entry Plug, preparing to battle yet another unknown foe. Another Angel.

But this Angel is the sixth…but this is only the third one that I’ve faced. There must have been three other Angels before this…but how did they defeat them without an Eva?

I was shaken from my thoughts, as always, by the launch process.

“Releasing primary lock bolts.”

“Release confirmed,” I responded, now familiar with the process.

“Roger. Releasing secondary restraints.”

I looked up, and saw that Ayanami stood alone on the walkway, staring at me.

She’s so strange, but she’s so beautiful…it’s bizarre.

“Roger. The target is now intruding into Lake Ashino airspace.”

“Eva Unit 01 is ready for launch.”

“Launch!” Misato yelled.

The familiar sensation of being catapulted came over me again; I was beginning to become accustomed to the launch process. As I rose, I heard Aoba’s voice, sounding entirely confused.

“We’re detecting a high energy reaction from inside the target!”

“What?!” Misato screamed.

“The circumference area is accelerating! It’s converging!”

“It can’t be!” Ritsuko gasped.

I reached the top of the shaft, and the locks disengaged. As soon as I stood on my own, I heard Misato’s voice.

“No, dodge it!” she yelled.

I frantically looked around for the source of the panic; I didn’t see anything. All of the sudden, a bright light enveloped the area, and a large sheet of metal had sprung from the ground in front of me. A piercing ringing blasted in my ears.

What the hell?

The sheet of metal in front of me was quickly melted to nothing. Whatever the thing was in front of me fired a beam of energy at me, which impacted my chest with the force of twenty elephants. It burned white-hot to the touch, and continued to push. It was burning a hole in my chest. Pain shot through my body; pain as such that I had never felt before. The LCL that filled the plug began to boil. I screamed in pain, screamed like I never had before. I couldn’t take it. Suddenly, the pain vanished, and everything became white. I closed my eyes, and knew no more.
Nigecha dame da...

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:13 pm

*Proceeds to Wark out Lucifer's Cry again*

....Sorry. Anyway, nice chapter! ^_^

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:37 pm

"Pouring out like Prophets of Doom they do forewarn...."

It's a little too short? (Okay, REBUILD SPOILERS IN THE NEXT PARAGRAPH)

The first shot passes through the ATF and hits the Eva, and then the flame appears. Only after the Eva gets hit does the armor barrier come up and block the beam. And then Ramiel does his core-splitting act and blows off the armor and that's when the LCL starts boiling. Shinji starts screaming "No, no more!" (Mo iee da! yaadaaaa!) and soon enough Sho's horn and other extremeities start to come off and Shinji screams uncontrollably. Then, he's recovered.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Shiro
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Shiro » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:44 pm

Ah, sou desu ka? Sounds intense. I vowed I wouldn't actually watch the camrip, so I've been writing this through word-of-mouth and Ornette's timestamps alone. All I had been told was that Shinji gets completely fried, and that a metal shield jumps up. So I just went with it. Wish someone had told more, that sounds really good.
Nigecha dame da...

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:48 pm

If you want I could help out with some of the plot points, although not in this thread itself. (I don't want to post too many proper Rebuild spoilers)
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Return to “Fanfiction”