resources on impact of NGE

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

resources on impact of NGE

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:00 pm

I need to give a quickie presentation on Japanese culture, and I thought I'd talk about the impact of NGE on the anime world. I probably wouldn't get much into the plot or even the characters. I know the essays are around here somewhere, but I never really read many of them. Anyway, I'm mostly just looking for some links.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:02 pm

Talk about NGE. And then talk about how RahXephon ripped it off.
Project done.
You can thank me later.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:02 pm

To who? I shall be the minder for this then- I am Japanese (how many times did I rant this-oh well)
I feel old

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:08 pm

The Imperialist wrote:I am Japanese

so am i.....so what
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Squiggy
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Squiggy » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:39 pm

BrikHaus wrote:Talk about Ideon. And then talk about how Evangelion ripped it off.
Project done.
You can thank me later.

Fixed
Don't like Eva?

What's the matter, too DEEP for you?

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:20 pm

Well, that is a nice surprise. A fellow countryman. And is this for like, seeing how NGE had cultural significances to Japan?
I feel old

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:20 pm

The Eva Tomo no Kai may have some of what you're looking for. It's mostly pamphlets and newsletters. But, it's not in English.

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:25 pm

Danke.
I feel old

EvaCub
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby EvaCub » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:30 pm

BrikHaus wrote:Talk about NGE. And then talk about how RahXephon ripped it off.
Project done.
You can thank me later.

I support this post haha
mayb sig worthy

@Slothen: So are you like doing a powerpoint or a essay?
My Anime List
Apjak:"Basically, to make an A.T. field gun, you'd have to make a gun that fires Evangelions. Not a very efficient use.
SailorStarDust:"No, everything has SOME meaning to it in Eva!"
Reichu on Sequel Theory:lights bandwagon on fire again:

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:35 pm

[url]http://www.ntticc.or.jp/pub/ic_mag/ic018/intercity/higashi_E.html[/url]

That's a very interesting article written by a Japanese Culture expert.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:17 pm

an oldie but a goodie, that article
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:25 pm

I've read it probably 4 times, but it never gets old. Lots of really relevant stuff there and still probably one of the few sources to address many of these ideas despite the fact that it's nearly 10 years old. He's the first to make the NGE/Godard connection, and ever since I've seen more and more of Godard in NGE.
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:49 pm

The scope of this presentation is very basic. Its for a 1st semester Japanese language class at school (college, or "unversity" as some call it). More or less I have to go up and talk for 5-10 minutes about something related to Japan. Powerpoint is the basic way to go here I think. About half my class are anime/manga fans, but none show any interest in any anime or manga that I find interesting. I'm the only one of them that's seen NGE, for example, they're all stuck on Bleach, Sailormoon (no offense SSD), and reading the Naruto manga. The rest of the class has little to no interest in anime or manga. My goal is to talk about NGE's significance, without wading into the plot or character lists, or coming off as a complete nerd and totally boring the other half of the class. My other goal is to learn more about these things myself in the course of preparing the presentation.

I hope you can help me find some good stuff, otherwise I'm doing my presentation on Japanese gameshows, which will pretty much boil down to a powerpoint slide that says "lol, Japan."

I'd much rather do justice to NGE, my little chance to give back.

Eva Yojimbo wrote:[url]http://www.ntticc.or.jp/pub/ic_mag/ic018/intercity/higashi_E.html[/url]

That's a very interesting article written by a Japanese Culture expert.

Interesting, and helpful, but I'd like to see something a bit less dated.

There will be an essay accompanying the power point, but its pretty much a trivial summarization of the power point.
Last edited by slothen on Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:11 pm

Slothen wrote:Sailormoon (no offense SSD)

None taken. ;)

In terms of your project, the only thing that really comes to mind as an idea is discussing how Eva was Anno's outlet for his Depression?
http://www.evamonkey.com/writings_anno01.php

Hope that helps.

One question: Your presentation doesn't have to be IN Japanese, does it? That would make sense, but I'd find that brutal. @_@
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:22 pm

If you're looking for something relevant to Japanese culture and its relation to NGE I think you'd be hard pressed to find a more relevant article than that despite its age.

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:42 pm

Doesn't have to be in Japanese, its an introductory course after all.

@Yojimbo, I was thinking more along the lines of how NGE broke from earlier sci-fi and anime paradigms and affected the anime that came after it.

MAL Profile

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:44 pm

Aha. Well, that you'd probably have to talk with some people who are extremely knowledgeable about the history of anime. What NGE borrowed, what it did new, how it altered stereotypes, etc.

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:46 pm

IIRC there was a "resources" section of the old EMF site that had links to various essays, but since the move to EFG, I haven't seen anything equivalent.

MAL Profile

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:16 pm

They're still there, need to look under the menus:

http://www.evamonkey.com/em_writings.php

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:52 pm

Are the powers that be at EvaGeeks still accepting new articles? There's some stuff I'd like to write that really wouldn't be appropriate for the forum...

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”