Military equipment in 2015

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:13 pm

It's possible they had all this technology before 2I.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:50 pm

Ornette wrote:It's possible they had all this technology before 2I.

... Giant rifles meant for giant mecha, giant missiles launched from gigantic airplanes meant to take out REALLY big targets, and positron cannons who's role can easily be usurped by more conventional weaponry?

Nuh-huh, before 2I I doubt even SEELE knew exactly what they were up against, and if you don't understand the threat, then how can you possibly know how to come up with countermeasures against it?

Really, the ‘jump’ in innovation isn’t surprising, times of need inspire technological advances like none other, especially war.

Take WWII for example, before the U.S. became involved, it had one of the most obsolete air and armor forces in the world, by the end, a mere 4 years later, it was a world leader in both respects, not to mention it developed the first atomic bomb, which had only been theoretical at the start of the war, just a few 'theories' transcribed onto paper. 8)
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Rave_Epic
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Rave_Epic » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:00 pm

Have to agree with Slim here.

Though, it's a shame that the most productive weapon in the Eva universe is the prog knife.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:23 pm

I guess I should have quoted what I was referring to. N^2 explosives.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:38 pm

Rave_Epic wrote:Have to agree with Slim here.

hey, it was my idea 1st
dammit Slim everybody thinks you're so smart. you just take my ideas and amke them sound smarter
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:58 pm

I stated this before on a thread BEsERk started about the N2 mines, so if anything, I was ripping myself off. :wink:

As for the 'Charged particle canon' which is 30% more deadly to noob theories than regular canon, that's a mix of common sci-fi lore, and some cartoon show I saw which included a 'Hyper death ray inducing a fate 30% worse than death, HYPERDEATH!' :twisted:

Seriously, we should build that, something that can induce near instant, wide-spread death to noobs theories with pin-point accuracy, it would go a long way to making that darn broken record stop playing already...
Ornette wrote:I guess I should have quoted what I was referring to. N^2 explosives.

Na, I apologize for that, as in retrospect I should have figured that out on my own, I was giving your statement too little credit considering it is you whom was suggesting it. Image
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:22 am

Well, uses for positron rifles are very varied indeed (evil laughter)
I feel old

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Themaninblack » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:40 pm

V wrote:I think the key point is that they don't produce fallout.

I mean "it's a bomb that can destroy a city, putting the power of god in the hands of man"....thematically doesn't really change.

Maybe its "culturally significant" point is that Japan has a thing about fallout. I don't know, I'm actually not too knowledgeable about that.

But the point is just "N2 Bombs seem like a logical extension of current weapons", while the positron rifle is "kind of far out there"

No the real point is Anno dosen't know how powerful nukes have became. A Hydorgen Bomb causes Nuclear Fusion, or rather what the sun does to keep substaining itself. The epic center of a nuclear blast is hotter than then any part of the sun. This I only heard about so don't quote me...but in theroy if we made the attacks presice enough, we could close a black hole by lanching just Amercia's nukes..not even concsidering Russia's. I love Evangelion...but they have no idea on how millarty tech would improve.
I won.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:46 pm

Themaninblack wrote:This I only heard about so don't quote me...but in theroy if we made the attacks presice enough, we could close a black hole by lanching just Amercia's nukes..not even concsidering Russia's.

why would we do that, wouldnt we want to send probes into a black hole 1st, to see if it leads somewhere?
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Themaninblack » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:51 pm

Sachiel_13 wrote:
Themaninblack wrote:This I only heard about so don't quote me...but in theroy if we made the attacks presice enough, we could close a black hole by lanching just Amercia's nukes..not even concsidering Russia's.

why would we do that, wouldnt we want to send probes into a black hole 1st, to see if it leads somewhere?

No because the ultra scienfic term of Spaghettification would occur to us....
I won.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:52 pm

we send a "Probe" in
- Sachi

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Themaninblack » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:54 pm

This is so off topic..

If we see it WE DIE :evil:
I won.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:59 pm

Sachiel_13 wrote:we send a "Probe" in

And when it hits the event horizon, we would no longer be able to receive data from it.

It's true that a lot of things weren't "predicted" very well. There were even inaccurately portrayed versions of existing/old technology at the time of 1995. There were plenty of instances of "lol, that's impossible" in terms of the various weaponry (like those machine guns hanging on the cables). The creators of the show probably didn't feel that it was that important, and it would be nowhere near the first series/show that turned a blind eye to these details, even for sci-fi.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:07 pm

Ornette wrote:
Sachiel_13 wrote:we send a "Probe" in

And when it hits the event horizon, we would no longer be able to receive data from it.

that was a good movie
- Sachi

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:44 pm

... no sachiel, he's talking about Black holes in general, they 'bend' and 'slow' everything, even light and time, after a point in crossing the event horizion the probe's signals would take years, perhaps decades to get back to us, if at all. 8)

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Themaninblack » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:48 pm

Alaska Slim wrote:... no sachiel, he's talking about Black holes in general, they 'bend' and 'slow' everything, even light and time, after a point in crossing the event horizion the probe's signals would take years, perhaps decades to get back to us, if at all. 8)

Spaghettification...it ain't EVER give us data. A White Hole on the other hand....might.

I find it cute that Anno, being Japanese, would downgrade a N2 mine or the qualvilite to a A-Bomb to such a low level.
I won.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:49 pm

Alaska Slim wrote:... no sachiel, he's talking about Black holes in general, they 'bend' and 'slow' everything, even light and time, after a point in crossing the event horizion the probe's signals would take years, perhaps decades to get back to us, if at all. 8)

i know what he's talking about, i learned it from the movie! :D
- Sachi

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:21 am

Themaninblack wrote:

Spaghettification...it ain't EVER give us data. A White Hole on the other hand....might.

No, it all depends on how close it is to it, if it's past the event horizion, then chances are it won't. Image

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Themaninblack » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:32 pm

Alaska Slim wrote:
Themaninblack wrote:

No, it all depends on how close it is to it, if it's past the event horizion, then chances are it won't. Image

But to get th3e data that Sachieal was talking about we would have to go past the event horizion...and then blamo the probe gets sucked up ...and my favorite scienftic term occurs.
I won.

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:21 pm

(Is this what you guys call fanwanking?)

Anno really looked up on his sub atomic particles:

A Positron the antiparticle of an electron, and it has a positive charge, contrary to an electron's negative charge.

I'm thinkin' that once a positron beam leaves the vacuum gun, like Ornette said, they react with the electrons of the atmospheric Oxygen and Nitrogen or other molecules that happen to have electrons around a nucleus, and convert electron and positron 100% into high energy photons, aka, a big explosion, aka, gamma rays (radiation).

So the Positron Rifle would have to encase a shell/rocket/projectile of X grams of positrons around a system that would keep it suspended in midair, before impact, aka contact with the inside surface of the shell and the explosion. I mean, the heads of the shots were larger than the tail, so something's there.

But that still doesn't explain the colorful tail streaming from the gun...maybe, but it would explain the weird dance that the two *beams* when they got close to each other. Like charges repel. If Ramiel's shot was also positron-based, then it would alter its course...but the entire stream didn't move, the heads did. In fact, they weaved around each other, going back to whatever course they originally was. So...from that, I can guess(fanwank?) that...

The positrons were on the tip of the shot, or otherwise the entire tail would change direction visably, and the tails are just exhaust or something and colorful (eye candy) to fool Japanese and American fans thinking that it's something Gundam-related and Anno's secretly having victory drinks with subatomic physicists. Hell, it's ultra-heated dyed water vapor. Ramiel's favorite color is purple, obviously.

There is a frame or so before the viewing of the charge-up and the shot of bright lights with rainbow arcs of red, green and blue. I still don't know what that is, can someone elaborate?
Rei: I'm not your puppet.

The Allied States of Syraneen

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”