Thank You Anno, For Keeping Your Mouth Shut

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Thank You Anno, For Keeping Your Mouth Shut

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:53 pm

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/ent/stories/DN-rowlingcolumn_1024gl.State.Edition1.2292bdc.html

I just read this article about J. K. Rowling stating that Dumbledore is gay in the media, and it got me thinking about how Eva leaves so many questions unanswered, and just how wonderful that fact is. If you ever wanted Anno to answer a particular question, read this article, and give it another thought. I found what this person had to say very insightful and poignant.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:10 pm

Dear Anno-san:

を話し合っていません、ありがとうございました

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:14 pm

何の事で話し合ってないですか?
I feel old

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:17 pm

I dunno, I used google. Does it look like I'm the one not talking?

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:25 pm

It is just that a big chunk of the things needed to make a sentence was missing.
I feel old

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:39 pm

I think we need a rule that if you're going to use some variant of moonspeak, it must be accompanied by an English equivalent.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:42 pm

Anno's refusal to answer Eva's mysteries is perhaps the sole reason we're all still here - and I thank him for it. Interpretable works are infinitely more interesting than cut-and-dry ones.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:48 pm

I see. (to last post)
What do you mean by Moonspeak? It is Japanese. (to second last post)
I feel old

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:52 pm

Slang term for Japanese around here. No idea why.

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:58 pm

Slangs. (mutter mutter mutter...) I despise it (mutter mutter mutter...)
I feel old

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:07 pm

As far as slangs go, "moonspeak" is one of the better ones I've heard.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:10 pm

I still hate them. I believe slangs are one of th ethings which could corrupt the beauty of languages.
I feel old

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:11 pm

Same goes for Japanese. (even though there aren't much I know)
I feel old

Apathetic Piggy
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Apathetic Piggy » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:41 pm

"Moonspeak" is something from Turn-A Gundam, in which people live on the moon. Naturally, they speak Japanese. Therefor, their language is "Moonspeak."

CitizenGeek
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby CitizenGeek » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:08 pm

The author of the article you linked to, EvaMonkey, is perhaps a little too dramatic. The whole furore surrounding Dumbledore is ridiculous - she does allude to Dumbledore's sexuality in the story, but it's ultimately a children's book, so she's hardly going to make a big deal out of it. In fact, when I mentioned this to my Harry Potter-reading friends, not one of them was surprised that Dumbledore is gay. J.K. Rowling is fighting prejudice, and adding another layer of colour to her books. What's the big issue? Who says Potter fans can't debate the circumstances of Dumbledore's relationship with Grindelwald?

It's really starting to irk me how these sentimental losers are getting a much larger stage that they deserve on the internets to condemn Rowling for doing something good for society - especially when the rest of the fans are perfectly okay with it.

Aaaaanyway, as in regards to Evangelion - I would personally love if Anno gave us most of the answers. Sure, debating is fun, but when you get absolute, mindless fanwank (Yui-sama, fem-Kaworu, Mikasa Hinako, phallic symbols etc.) it gets considerably less fun. However, I'm pretty sure that Anno himself doesn't have the answers, so there's a slim chance of that happening.
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf mutes.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:09 pm

Hmm. I thought it was called moonspeak because it's so different from English that it's like something a native English speaker might expect to hear from someone living on the moon. I have no idea where I got that concept. XD

Hmm again. I truly am (and always was) glad that Anno never said what happened after "I Need You." That's one of the main reasons that I hope time isn't cyclical in Rebuild. However, I'd probably not feel the same way about HP if I were still interested in it (very good book series, but I stopped reading a while back).
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:12 pm

Translation for what Ornette wrote: "Dear Anno-san, thank you for not talking." (Ornette, it should be the "honorific" o e.g: The o in the a i e u o line, not the "wo" o.)

The Imperialist's reply: "What is it that you don't [want him] to say?"

(Me thinks it should be "nannokoto" instead of "naninokoto")

Anyway, thanks for the article, EM. That makes a really good point (And HHG is the best.). IMO, that's exactly why things like CI is enough, especially because it's information implied in the show, just not flat-out stated. (Though I'm curious about what Chronicle says...)

NAveryW wrote:I truly am (and always was) glad that Anno never said what happened after "I Need You." That's one of the main reasons that I hope time isn't cyclical in Rebuild.

That's a really good point. It would be nice if time isn't cyclical because of that very reason (the fact that the film's ending is open-ended), but I think that even if time IS cyclical, Anno will handle it right. ;)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Apathetic Piggy
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Apathetic Piggy » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:23 pm

NAveryW wrote:Hmm. I thought it was called moonspeak because it's so different from English that it's like something a native English speaker might expect to hear from someone living on the moon. I have no idea where I got that concept. XD

Well, being a nerd helps with the information. I could be wrong, as there's no definitive source for the "birth" of that particular term, but eh...

NAveryW wrote:Hmm again. I truly am (and always was) glad that Anno never said what happened after "I Need You."

Quoted for truth.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:43 pm

The dozen or so people that I know that have read all of the books were not that surprised that he was gay, but were surprised that she'd announce it.

Sure, debating is fun, but when you get absolute, mindless fanwank (Yui-sama, fem-Kaworu, Mikasa Hinako, phallic symbols etc.)

Keep in mind, that even Gendo calls Eva-01 "Yui" in the TV Series. Something that sets that apart from the other things that you listed.

it gets considerably less fun.

For you. For me, I don't think free interpretation using external frameworks is fun, I don't participate in any of those discussions, so it doesn't bother me.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:37 pm

to quote a great man you always leave them wanting more
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”