Animation and Design quality in End of Evangelion

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Nephilim
Shamshel
Shamshel

Animation and Design quality in End of Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Nephilim » Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:28 pm

In the End of Evangelion the animation is GREAT, in the characters, the movements, all that was AWESOME, but...

I dont understand why they changed FOR WORSE the design of the evas.

In the series, the evas have more style, with wide shoulders, a thin waist, long legs, a muscular body. :P
But in the movie, it really looks just like a guy in a suit !!! :?

i mean, take a look at this!!!:

And this is other comparison:

Give your opinions !!!
*insert cool signature here*

MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby MongolSquad » Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:01 pm

thanks nehpillim for setteing up the new topic, but yes they did screw up the design in EoE. except i think eva-01 styed true to its design eva-02 look like it had plastic surgery gone wrong. i know it got owned by the ribbons-of-death angel, but that doesn't make sense that the whole body had an overhaul. maybe gainax went el cheapo and hired some low wage korean dudes to do it, that happens a lot to some anime series when they go into a movie.

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:54 pm

I'll agree that the Evas in the TV series were much more stylish, and easy to look at, but I think in EoE they were going for a more foreboding approach. Unit-02 looks much more alien, and looks very powerful. The design concept for Eva was "enormous power restrained." In EoE, it's as though the restraints have finally been broken.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby MongolSquad » Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:08 pm

i can see what Phaze is saying. maybe they wanted a more organic look to eva-2. but it looked like it shrunk compared to in the series, i just wish the build of the body had stayed the same, because its shoulders shrank.

Slade
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Slade » Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:31 pm

I agree that Unit 02's design was a little too funky for my taste, but I just loved the sence of scale that made those last few eva fights seem just massive. 8)
"All I have ever asked of this world is that when my time comes, let it be for something, not of something."

- Slade

MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby MongolSquad » Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:59 pm

by slade -agree that Unit 02's design was a little too funky for my taste, but I just loved the sence of scale that made those last few eva fights seem just massive.

yea they did feel very massive. (oh lord that sounds wrong) yea the fight is one of the best cordinated fights in eva. i just wish eva-02 could've moved faster, it was little sluggish if you compare it to some battles like when it teamed up with unit-01 and they fought that twin-splitting angel. now that was fast. i wish eva-02 had moved like that in the movie.

MantiCore
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MantiCore » Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:13 am

I think the giant difference in 02's design in EOE was necessary.

02's design was very heavy and looked stiff in the series.

a lot of the movement in Episode 9 (With One Accord In a Flash/Both Of You Dance Like You Want To Win!) looks more flexible than the design of 02 would allow.

02 in EOE has a lot of complex movements (especially when it wields the Mass Production weapon near the end of its stand), and I simply think the TV series' design would look improper given the circumstances.

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:33 pm

the eva was okay by me..but it was a bit different...perhaps they did hire a cheap animator..or maybe they just changed ideas...

Asuka Langley
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka Langley » Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:09 pm

Manticore is onto something when he got on to the topic of movement.

During the series, the frames and movements of all the eva's were fairly limited and somewhat simple.
The designs of the Eva's are quite complex, as far as the body shape goes and the shoulder movements and whatnot.

Now, for EOE, there was a longer fight, with a lot of movement and a LOT of action.
Nigoki was just 'simplified' to make the animating of that scene a lot smoother and less rigid.
Animating isn't about extreme detail, that's what manga is for.

The reason shogoki looked the same, was because it's movement was limited.
It didn't see as much action as Unit-02 did, therefore it didnt have to be so broken down.

That's just my approach, after discussing it with my animation group.
We'll see whachu' got.

http://xrl.us/ccnh

Kiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kiel » Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:53 pm

Am I the only dude here who doesn't mind the change of the design in Eva 02 for EOE?

If so...I owe myself a coke.

Having a great intrest in animation as an actual process, the detail given to unit 02 in eoe (particularly the fight scenes) is a monumental achievement!

I can see everyone's point in that it doesn't look the same as the series, but the fact remains that its somewhat "simpler" design makes it far easier to animate not only the key frames but also the inbetweens of cells.

EOE also had a lot more studios working on it other than Gainax and IG.

I think unit 02's "new" look is okay, it gets the job done (and does it ever!).

At least it's not a giant eva train transformer like Asuka wanted it to be in the Episode 27 audio track on one of the sound tracks :lol: :roll:

Baka,baka,baka,baka,BAKA!!!!

excuse me, i lost control
The Amytiville Toaster

Makes Breakfast Spooky!

Asuka Langley
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka Langley » Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:36 pm

Kiel wrote:Am I the only dude here who doesn't mind the change of the design in Eva 02 for EOE?

At least it's not a giant eva train transformer like Asuka wanted it to be in the Episode 27 audio track on one of the sound tracks :lol: :roll:

Baka,baka,baka,baka,BAKA!!!!

excuse me, i lost control

Well, I'm no dude, but I don't mind what they did with it. Nigoki looked a lot freakier, I'll say that much.
But during that particular scene, who was really focusing on what the eva itself looked like.
I was more occupied with the massacre that Asuka was creating..

(Also, that "Eva train Transformer" bit made me laugh. I loved those audio tracks. :lol: )
We'll see whachu' got.

EVA-01X
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby EVA-01X » Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:54 pm

say what? Where can I get these audio track things?
Back on track, EVA-02 I think was ment to look more human because it needed to move like one... so maybe it was the sync ratio that made the eva change it's shape
The demon returns after a long slumber....
http://www.evamade.org/user.php?id.161
New Signature Image Policy
^Clicky for Evamade!

Asuka Langley
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka Langley » Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:15 pm

But when Shinji's sync ratio was at 400%, the Eva didnt REALLY change shape, as far as the animation goes.
Sure, it regenerated a human arm... but the general body armor animation looked the same as the rest of the series.
We'll see whachu' got.

EVA-01X
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby EVA-01X » Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:38 pm

....... good point. okay lets just rack it up to a one time thing?
The demon returns after a long slumber....
http://www.evamade.org/user.php?id.161
New Signature Image Policy
^Clicky for Evamade!

the-artist-known-as-chris
Adam

changes

•      
  •      

Postby the-artist-known-as-chris » Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:23 pm

The change in the design of unit 02 didnt really bother me, I like the sleek look to it. I also like the fact that the human characters had more detail to they're faces.

Timesplitter 01
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Re: changes

•      
  •      

Postby Timesplitter 01 » Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:43 pm

the-artist-known-as-chris wrote:The change in the design of unit 02 didnt really bother me, I like the sleek look to it. I also like the fact that the human characters had more detail to they're faces.

Same here
I have too much anime, yet it's not enough. Anime Addict, if it were a drug; I'd be dead.

BEsERk EVA01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby BEsERk EVA01 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:07 pm

I know, it looked alright, I didn't really mind, but I can't imagine any of you people drawing up hundreds of frames of battle scenes with EVA 02-13.

I mean, I can't even draw 2 EVA 00's without having the minutest detail varied. It's that hard.
>>My User Profile On EvaPedia<<
>>Per Ardua ad Astra, Through Struggle To The Stars<<
>>Nothing<<

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:58 pm

wow...um....i didnt even notice. but i guess i just wasnt paying attention to what the Eva looked like, i've seen it enought before in the series, i was too busy looking at what the Eva was doing.
i dont really see the big deal with the difference. now if they totally gave it a makover (sorta like what they did to Unit-00) without explanation, then that would be a big deal
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:02 pm

A giant biotechnological semi-human would probably look more like the EoE version.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:03 pm

BEsERk EVA01 wrote:I know, it looked alright, I didn't really mind, but I can't imagine any of you people drawing up hundreds of frames of battle scenes with EVA 02-13.

I don't think most of us have ever held jobs as professional animators or continuity checkers in a major theatrical film.
Last edited by Reichu on Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”