Rei I, II, and III The same person or different people?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
houtaru
Lilith

Rei I, II, and III The same person or different people?

•      
  •      

Postby houtaru » Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:06 pm

I've been confused about the personality of Rei for sometime. When I watched EOE the other day, I examined the scene where Gendo dies, and the 3 Rei's line up. They obviously are different people there. One is a child (Rei I), one picks up the glasses (Rei II), and one is naked (Rei III).

So is Rei one person or three? Rei II seemed to save Shinji in episode 23, yet she still likes Gendo because she picked up his glasses again. Where, in EOE, Rei III crushed them. The easy answer is to say that they're 3 different people, but how do you account for Rei 'remembering' things from her previous 'clone'.

I think they're one person in three different bodies because there was supposed to be only one Rei 'soul' that was planted in each clone, but I'm not positive. Thoughts?

Esion
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Esion » Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:56 am

I'm pretty sure that each of the Rei's is a different body with the same "soul".
Yea and God said to Abraham, "You will kill your son Issac." And Abraham said, "I can't hear you, you'll have to speak into the microphone." And God said, "Oh I'm sorry, Is this better? Check, check, check... Jerry, pull the high end out, I'm still getting some hiss back here."

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

Confusing

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:35 pm

The are the same body, the same soul, but not the same mind.

The younger versions of Rei(1,2) was influenced by Gendo and he was like the father figger for her

while the other version saw what he really needed from her so she hated him for that.

kinda confuseing but yeah

thats about it :?:
Don't ban me for a limited time! Either ban me for good or let me be. (I only hold grudges for a few years lol)

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

Re: Confusing

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:57 am

Dark FireStar wrote:The are the same body, the same soul, but not the same mind.

The younger versions of Rei(1,2) was influenced by Gendo and he was like the father figger for her

while the other version saw what he really needed from her so she hated him for that.

I have to agree here.

belial11737
Embryo

Re: Confusing

•      
  •      

Postby belial11737 » Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:45 am

the_seventh_child wrote:
Dark FireStar wrote:The are the same body, the same soul, but not the same mind.

I have to agree here.

hit it right on the nail
"You might make no sense, but at least you are energetic about it" -Lord Ilpallazo

Kiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kiel » Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:56 am

I don't mean to get off topic, but... :lol:

While it's understandable for the 1st Rei to see Gendo as a father figure, my question is about Rei II.

Did Rei II really understand what Gendo's plans for her were? and, if so, why did she love him the way that she did?

(Case in Point) Rei converses with Gendo in a friendly manner from time to time, She slaps Shinji when he insults Gendo's integrity, etc.

While I'm aware that Rei acted almost as a spy for Gendo on the activities of Shinji and other little going ons, how do you explain her almost happy demeaner around him?

Some kind of psuedo love-hate relationship I guess. Maybe Rei felt that Gendo was the only real thing in her life...at least until Shinji came along.

Anybody have an opinion?
The Amytiville Toaster

Makes Breakfast Spooky!

Nephilim
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Nephilim » Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:08 pm

I really think that the love feelings for Gendo started only when the eva00 went berserker for the first time. Only then she thought that Gendo truly cared for her, but she was only a very important instrument to him, and that was what Rei III realized.

Before the incident with the eva00, i really think that there was no love or care from Rei to Gendo, only maybe respect.
*insert cool signature here*

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Sat Sep 11, 2004 4:13 pm

Nephilim wrote:I really think that the love feelings for Gendo started only when the eva00 went berserker for the first time. Only then she thought that Gendo truly cared for her, but she was only a very important instrument to him, and that was what Rei III realized.

Before the incident with the eva00, i really think that there was no love or care from Rei to Gendo, only maybe respect.

I agree with this. After I finished watching the series/movies I got the impression Gendo thought of Rei as more of a tool than anything.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Sat Sep 11, 2004 7:52 pm

So Gendo couldn't be a decent father even on the second attempt, huh? Sad...

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Asterix
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Asterix » Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:42 pm

I had always assumed it was the same mind, in addition to the other 'parts'. Partially because I always assumed that the purpose for the big pipe/cyclinder thing that Rei is in sometimes (for example when Gendo is talking to Ritsuko, Rei has her eyes closed, as if she wasn't listening, and when Gendo finishes talking to Ritsuko he tell Rei that they "are done now", and then she opens her eyes and smiles) was for 'downloading', if you will, Rei's thoughts and memories in case anything were to happen to her.

So it would be a different physical mind, but be implanted with the same memories/feelings/emotions, as to help prevent any suspicion from Shinji, Asuka, and Misato whenever Rei should have died, but magically reappeared (ie, when she self-destructs Eva-00). I mean, if they Rei is supposed to have died, but suddenly reappears as the same physical person but with a completely changed mind, I would think that one of the three would have picked up on it.

So rather than having a different mindset each time she is respawned/rebirthed, I think as the series progresses she beings to build a more solid thought process of Gendo only cares for her as far as he can use her. And since Gendo can just remake her anytime anything happens to her, it sort of devalues her life - her physical state is rather meaningless, so long as another clone can be rebuilt that is as close to the previous one as possible, and is still able to be used for Gendo's purposes. It's as if she comes to terms that she's not cared for by her creator as anything other than that tool he needs to fulfill his project.

Sooooooo, yeah.. I think the mind (or rather the mind's contents) is transplanted each time, as well as the soul/spirit/etc, in an effort to keep Rei as consistant as possible. They have to download her thought processes anyways, in order to build the dummy plugs, so why not use what they've already downloaded to make as close to the previous clone as possible?
"why is it when an eva gets free will, the first thing it does is eat its own?"
"...tastes like chicken?"

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:08 pm

How much like yourself would you be if you were killed and than reborn?
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

Asterix
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Asterix » Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:22 pm

Depends how I died. If I killed myself to save somebody I held in high regard (or even loved, but that's a different discussion), and came back, I don't know that I would have changed that much...

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:57 pm

How do you know Asterix. Have you ever died before?
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

Asterix
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Asterix » Sun Sep 12, 2004 12:09 am

Have you to say that I'm wrong? :p And I said "I don't know that I'd have changed that much", not that I for sure wouldn't have.

Kiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kiel » Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:36 am

Well, I didn't want to say anything, but...

...I've died...a bunch of times....

...I got better :oops: .

:lol: Monty Python.

Now that I remember the time when Gendo saved Rei...It makes me think...

...maybe Gendo did care for Rei.

I mean, certainly not in the best way, but Rei is/was the clone of his wife. There were times when the two of them were chatty and friendly...who knows.

But in the end, she was just a tool for him.

That makes me sad :cry:
The Amytiville Toaster

Makes Breakfast Spooky!

Esion
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Esion » Sun Sep 12, 2004 12:07 pm

I think he cared for Rei because she was the tool in which he intended to use to reunite himself with Yui. So he sees a part of Yui in Rei and she's important to him in that aspect.
Yea and God said to Abraham, "You will kill your son Issac." And Abraham said, "I can't hear you, you'll have to speak into the microphone." And God said, "Oh I'm sorry, Is this better? Check, check, check... Jerry, pull the high end out, I'm still getting some hiss back here."

Kiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kiel » Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:03 pm

Esion's got a point.

...uh, I know there's more...just can't think right now.
The Amytiville Toaster

Makes Breakfast Spooky!

Timesplitter 01
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby Timesplitter 01 » Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:11 am

Rei 1 , 2 ,3 are different Rei's but with the same soul

Rei 1 ( Dies before the start of the series) appears at the EoE ( when gendo dies) as will as the other 2 ( I can not remember what this is called ( anyone, withe the 3 of them standing next to each other)

Rei 2 ( is seen thoughtout the series until she dies) becomes sorta a free roaming spirt ( Seen again when Shinji kills Kawrou ) or angel if you will.
Refering to the Directors cut , the episode she dies , she looks like she becomes an angel , and also looks like what happens to Rei 3 at the end of EoE. This is becasue she combines with the angels ( to put it in simple terms)

Rei 3 combines with Lilith

( Do not critise me for my notes here , I dont have much time to write this and I needed to explain this quickly)
I have too much anime, yet it's not enough. Anime Addict, if it were a drug; I'd be dead.

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

Not to make fun

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:33 pm

Okay i really dident get that so could you clear it up a little
Don't ban me for a limited time! Either ban me for good or let me be. (I only hold grudges for a few years lol)

Timesplitter 01
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Re: Not to make fun

•      
  •      

Postby Timesplitter 01 » Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:43 pm

Dark FireStar wrote:Okay i really dident get that so could you clear it up a little

jezzz , that is a simple explanation as it gets . How long have u been watching eva

(And stop posting so much , it gets anyoying after a while . And something worth while to the conversation if you are going to do this)
I have too much anime, yet it's not enough. Anime Addict, if it were a drug; I'd be dead.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”