Asuka in ep 9. Quick explanation please

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Tue May 29, 2007 12:59 pm

the_seventh_child wrote:Though we gotta give him credit for trying to kiss her in her sleep in 09, Shinji was not being dump-dump in that scene.

Wouldn't that be something that reflects negatively on his character?
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Tue May 29, 2007 1:03 pm

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:
the_seventh_child wrote:Though we gotta give him credit for trying to kiss her in her sleep in 09, Shinji was not being dump-dump in that scene.

Wouldn't that be something that reflects negatively on his character?

I said it for the guys that say he is an ass and stuff. and doesn't get advantage of Asuka. In my mind, it's not that bad because 1. he didn't actually do it and 2. he seemed to regret it afterwards.("you're just a child")
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Tue May 29, 2007 1:48 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:This is where I disagree, and the point upon which my anti-shipping is based.

Shinji, just for starters, is not the child prodigy that Asuka was -- indeed, not any sort of child prodigy at all.

And she did that to get noticed. Everything that drives her is the exact same thing that drives Shinji. Look beneath the surface and they are vurtually indentical people. Shinji knows what it's like to watch ones mother die, to be abandoned by ones father, and the stresses of being an Eva pilot. Intelectual level doesn't seem like a really bid deal to me given the understanding he could give on the points that really matter.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue May 29, 2007 1:57 pm

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:And she did that to get noticed.

It's not something you have any choice about.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Tue May 29, 2007 2:09 pm

That depends on the way you look at it. She didn't have to throw herself into it the way she almost certainly did given her personality. It was something she could use to get noticed and feel special filling the void Kyoko left in her life the same way she did with Eva piloting.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue May 29, 2007 2:26 pm

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:She didn't have to throw herself into it the way she almost certainly did given her personality.

== Given her personality, she had to act that way.

Like I said, not something you have a choice about.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Tue May 29, 2007 2:53 pm

I thought we were in disagreement on her motives for doing so :lol: .

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue May 29, 2007 3:07 pm

We are.

You seem to believe that there could be some meaningful and conscious choice involved.

I'm saying that child prodigy is what being an Asuka Langley Sohryu is about -- and that's a lonely enough path, even without the rest of the family drama going on around her. And that's the part where Shinji doesn't show any sign of being a single step along the way to a place where he could begin to understand.

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Tue May 29, 2007 4:02 pm

Not quite, I don't believe she was born to walk that path, I believe she was pushed down it by her family issues, and that she pilots EVA-02 for the same reason.

ep #12 wrote:Shinji (OFF):
Say...

Asuka (OFF):
What?

Shinji:
Asuka, why do you pilot an Eva?

Asuka:
To exhibit my talent to the world, of course.

Shinji:
You mean to prove that you exist?

Asuka:
Yeah, something like that.
You're not going to ask her?

ep #24 wrote:Asuka:
Mom! Mom! I've been chosen!
I'm an elite pilot, chosen to protect all of mankind!
I'm the best in the world!
It's supposed to be a secret! But I'll tell you anyway! Just for you!
Everyone will be nice to us from now on!
So, we won't be lonely anymore!
So, we'll be fine, even without Dad around!
We won't be lonely anymore!
So, look! Look at me!
Come on, Mom!

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue May 29, 2007 4:07 pm

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:Not quite, I don't believe she was born to walk that path,

You don't get to graduate by 13 just by wanting to.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Tue May 29, 2007 4:12 pm

She could have if she had just slept with all the teachers.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Tue May 29, 2007 4:16 pm

I'm not saying she didn't have natural talent as she most certainly did. I'm saying the reason she decided to use the talent was to get attention. In middle school I could have been taking 12th grade science and 13th grade math but I decided not to. I'm naturally talented in these areas, that's part of who I am, yet I decided not to tap this talent because it didn't appeal to me. It did appeal to Asuka as a means to fill the void in her life just like EVA-02 did. If she had loving parents I doubt she'd have turned out the same.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue May 29, 2007 4:22 pm

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:In middle school I could have been taking 12th grade science and 13th grade math but I decided not to.

Not sure what that translates to in £sd, but I was as far ahead as my school could cope with (which meant only going up to Cambridge with a scholarship 2 years ahead of normal) -- I couldn't do otherwise, because that was me. And that's what I see in Asuka.

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Tue May 29, 2007 4:58 pm

It would be interesting to know the differences in our respective countries schooling systems. There is probably a rather large difference though, American schools aren't rated very high in the world.

EDIT:
I seem to remember them wanting to pawn me off on the High School level but threats of disruptive behavior on my part and threats of a legal battle from my mother convincing them their idea was stupid.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue May 29, 2007 5:23 pm

OT/Politics
Well the UK system has gone down the crapper in the last generation...

As a benchmark, the thermal expansion stuff Shinji was doing in ep 10 was the sort of thing taught to ~12 year-olds; and the trickiest maths exam (at A-level in the supplementary paper) I was set had questions on the level of proving Weierstrass' Theorem from first principles.

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Tue May 29, 2007 7:45 pm

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:I'm not saying she didn't have natural talent as she most certainly did. I'm saying the reason she decided to use the talent was to get attention.

I agree with you. Asuka loves to exhibit her talents.
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Tue May 29, 2007 10:15 pm

I didn't even notice that Shinji wasn't there in the original shot but was during the mindfrak sequence. That's what I get for not watching every episode back to back...

Evangelion is awesome.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Executor
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Wed May 30, 2007 9:59 am

NAveryW wrote:I didn't even notice that Shinji wasn't there in the original shot but was during the mindfrak sequence. That's what I get for not watching every episode back to back...

Evangelion is awesome.

Indeed it is, but frak? Fucking neoBattleStar Galactica...

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed May 30, 2007 4:41 pm

NAveryW wrote:I didn't even notice that Shinji wasn't there in the original shot but was during the mindfrak sequence. That's what I get for not watching every episode back to back...

Are you reffering to a shot in 22' ("Asuka, you're still a child." Kaji, pans to Shinji) or a shot in 26' (P3II: Kiss retake, Misato's "It's not something for kids.", Shinji ain't there though his shirt is. O_o He originally wasn't even IN that shot to begin with, and it was in reference to Asuka using Misato's Lavender perfume, NOT the kiss!) ? :lol: Mindfuck Eva.

What AEF and 7th-chan said. To actually contribute something...

26' wrote:Asuka:
You don't know anything! Don't get close to me!

Shinji (OFF):
I do.

Asuka:
You don't, you idiot! Do you think you understand me?!
Do you think you can save me?!
That's nothing but your conceited ego!
You will never understand!

Shinji:
How can I? You don't tell me anything.
You don't tell me anything. You don't say anything.
It's impossible to understand!

I'd say this goes both ways. BOTH people need to try to understand the other, it can't just be one person doing it all.

Besides this though, I agree with what AEF said about how both Shinji and Asuka are alike, and in terms of Asuka's intelligence, I don't see what her liking him has to do with it. She's the best pilot at the point she arrives (IIRC), and interestingly enough, despite being the most popular girl in school, the only boy worth her time of day is Shinji... (Note how in episode 9 she steps on all those love-letters she received and in episode 15 she ditched that double-date guy) This is most likely because of the fact they're both Eva Pilots, but it's something to think about.

And if you want to play the intelligence card, Steve, then notice how Shinji NOT only almost instantly makes the "Rei=Girl in the Street connection" (as well as the Yui=Rei connections about Rei, and wondering why the fsck the entry plug smells like "blood" lol LCL), but HE'S the one who came up with how to defeat that Angel in the "Magma".
Although Asuka did her part by discussing that with him to begin with. ;)

LOL MOTHER IS THE FIRST OTHER (BYE-BYE), SO SIGINFCANT OTHER INSTEAD! LOL

(Don't ask, I was reading some very good & S/A points Reichu made apparently ages ago on ANF over the weekend.)

As an aside...AEF, what would 13th grade Math be?? Is that like AP College Level Math or some such thing? Where I'm from in the States, its Elementary School K-5, Middle School 6-8, and High School 9-12. Afterwards of course is College and or University. (or Vocational Schools, I think.)
And an FYI for what it's like in Japan, though this isn't the topic at hand (wonder what the school system is in Germany?) Elementary School: K(?)-6 Junior High/Middle School: 7-9, and High School: 10-12.

Edit: Many, many typos due to my ramblings. ^^;
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Wed May 30, 2007 7:34 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:As an aside...AEF, what would 13th grade Math be?? Is that like AP College Level Math or some such thing?

Freshman year of College. What can I say, numbers are easier on placement tests. I actually placed 12.5 grade in science. LOL, how do you get a decimal on a grade level?

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”