[MANGA] [NGE] Okay, which was first: EVA anime or EVA manga?

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Fearthebait
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Fearthebait » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:52 pm

Between her legs.

ewww she has cooties (AIDS)
You can't spell slaughter without laughter!

MDWigs
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MDWigs » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:52 pm

Reichu wrote:
Sailor Star Dust wrote:Case in point: Rachel-chan, Steve, AEF, Evamonkey, Shin Seiki, MD Wigs (although I guess I can't count him since I've never actually spoken with the guy T_T) do NOT give off an arrogant air of superioity to me. Far from it, in fact.

Oh, I most certainly have made a significant ass of myself in times past, and the potential always exists.

Wigs always seemed to be a superhuman entity of sorts, but the rest of us have had our "special" moments here and there.

As for the EML -- damned if I know.

If only posting once every six months constitutes an arrogant air of superiority than guilty I am.

I decided to take a little trip down memory lane because I am sure I have been an arrogant ass (to quote Andrei Bonovia from The Hunt for Red October) in the past. In doing so I came across the following post archived in google groups from the Japan.anime.evangelion Usenet newsgroup:

http://groups.google.com/group/Japan.anime.evangelion/msg/[email protected]

The thread is coincidently titled Anime vs Manga, and back in February 2000 I was trying to educate the masses on posting etiquette. If I haven't had the chance to converse with you personally please don't take this post as representative of what I am really like.

As for the Evangelion Mailing List; there are some really good guys who frequent the list, and if you go back through the archives some exceedingly good discussion has taken place there. Rivalries abound between communities such as ours. There was a long standing cold war of sorts years ago where myself, Olivier Hagué and other J.A.E stalwarts faced off with the cohorts of the Eva ML, including Brendan (EvaOtaku) Jamieson, Bochan_Bird and others. Like many intellectual debates, there were theories that we both agreed with, and others we were in vehement opposition of. The concurrent nature of the endings being one particular issue which was debated back and forward for months. In the end both communities benefited as the overall level of knowledge and discussion grew to greater heights. We are all Eva fans, so lets rejoice in that.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen- year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time." --Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:14 pm

WOAH! A rare MD Wigs post!
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Fearthebait
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Fearthebait » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:31 pm

I am a witness of this event. And staying with the trend. I must say I am proud to be a EM member!
You can't spell slaughter without laughter!

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:40 pm

MDWigs!! Is the moon blue?

As a matter of fact, I'm currently trying to go through the j.a.e archives on google to complie a shortened list of likely looking threads. There was a lot of great discussion back in the day.

Before you disappear again, give Reichu a PM. She may have something for you. Though, this replay is probably too late.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:26 pm

FGC OP wrote:Image
MDWigs: This is an unconfirmed tidbit that Olivier Hague presented in some trivia questions he posted on Japan.anime.evangelion years ago:

The cut showing a young Ikari Gendou during the opening credits is based on a similar shot of Straker, the commander of SHADO, in the UFO TV series …

This can now be confirmed, since we now are certain that Gendo and Fuyutsuki were patterned after characters from UFO.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

Re: [NGE] Okay, which was first: EVA anime or EVA manga?

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:12 am

Sailor Star Dust wrote: Our mutual love of Eva keeps us together! ^_^ I love you guys! Image

Awww, how sweet.

To go back on topic- just how far do you suppose Anno's otakuism goes? Now we have a UFO reference as well in NGE. What next?

And what else lurks undiscovered?
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: [NGE] Okay, which was first: EVA anime or EVA manga?

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:17 pm

UrsusArctos wrote:just how far do you suppose Anno's otakuism goes?

As I keep on reminding people, GAINAX started out as a group of fen who did short animations for Daicon. They would have been well exposed to English language SF with that sort of background.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:51 pm

Holy shit, Wigs actually posted here! ;_;

Wigs-sama wrote:We are all Eva fans, so lets rejoice in that.

Here-here!

Anyway... Apparently, if memory serves correctly, Anno is a military otaku, I think? But perhaps he is just an otaku all around?
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:33 pm

Reading the Sadamoto interview reminded me of a quote I read somewhere about the Anno teaches school video

KID: What are your favorite parts of Evangelion?

ANNO: The parts I didn't make.

lol
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”