Old Acquaintances...

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Old Acquaintances...

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:51 pm

As I was watching episode #21' again, something once again caught my eye. When Gendou takes Fuyutsuki down into the Geofront, and they meet the elder Dr Akagi.

There's an unusual look of surprise on Fuyutsuki's face. But what occurred to me as well was Gendou's sly sideways glance at Fuyutsuki's reaction. And all this in the context of Gendou trying to... persuade, Fuyutsuki to join Gerhin.

Is there something between the lines here?
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:00 pm

Since Fuyutsuki knew Naoko:
ep21' wrote:AKAGI (OFF):
Oh, Professor Fuyutsuki.

FUYUTSUKI (OFF):
Akagi, you too?

AKAGI:
Yes, this is the best place to research
the fundamental theories for the bio-computers of the future.

FUYUTSUKI:
I see.

It looks like maybe Gendo is playing one of his how-to-convince-fuyu-into-joining-the-evil-empire cards.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:09 pm

"The truth is... Vice-Commander Fuyutsuki is your father!"
"...... Liar."

I never read anything into this scene beyond the two having known one another at Kyoto University or something. [EDIT: And what Ornette said.] I've been kinda partial to Shin-seiki's suggestion that Ritsuko's father was sperm in a syringe, myself.

But I suppose it would work with the "it's a small world"* cliche, which demands that the cast include "old acquaintances/lovers reunited" (see: Misato, Kaji, Ritsuko) and characters (especially those of unknown or dubious parentage) either having received or sharing their genes with (an)other character(s). Image

I remember opposition to this trope being one of Dr. Nick's beefs with a Misato/Kaworu half-sibling relationship. Kekeke.

* Or insert official name.

Ornette wrote:It looks like maybe Gendo is playing one of his how-to-convince-fuyu-into-joining-the-evil-empire cards.

"Even the great computer nerd Naoko Akagi has joined our leagues. So what are you waiting for? Sell your soul to Gehirn today!"
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:20 pm

Reichu wrote:I've been kinda partial to Shin-seiki's suggestion that Ritsuko's father was sperm in a syringe, myself.

It would amuse me if this man were her father. It would explain a lot about both women. Even if it is only in the realms of fanboy fantasy.

Reichu wrote:"Even the great computer nerd Naoko Akagi has joined our leagues. So what are you waiting for? Sell your soul to Gehirn today!"

Lots of things to appeal to the budget-strapped academic, especially in the lean years post-3I

- All the exciting stuff is being worked on here
- All the good people are working here
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:43 pm

Reichu wrote:"The truth is... Vice-Commander Fuyutsuki is your father!"
"...... Liar."

I would actually be against taking Fuyutsuki's look this far. However, I think he does show a certain awkwardness on seeing Akagi again. Maybe she was an old flame of some description. Gendou's look also seems to hint at something. Like he was looking for a reaction.

Then again, it's a very minor insert, never followed up on. Perhaps it's nothing. Looking at Fuyutsuki's words in what Ornette posted,"Akagi, you too?", maybe we're seeing an "Et tu, Brute" moment from Fuyutsuki, when he sees that not only Yui, but now another former collegue is up to their necks in whatever shady dealings are going on. So perhaps it is all part of Gendou's seduction* of Fuyutsuki throughout the flashbacks. Showing him how no scrupulous person can surive in such an age.

*I couldn't resist.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:03 pm

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:I would actually be against taking Fuyutsuki's look this far.

"It's a joke, da ne?"

(Although I had honestly been wondering if that was your tacit proposal.)

So perhaps it is all part of Gendou's seduction* of Fuyutsuki <snip>

*I couldn't resist.

Neither could I.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:17 pm

Why Reichu, WHY?
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:37 pm

You people will all think I'm nuts, but strangely enough, I like that fanart. :shock:

Reichu wrote:"Even the great computer nerd Naoko Akagi has joined our leagues. So what are you waiting for? Sell your soul to Gehirn today!"

:lol:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Katayoku no Tenshi
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Katayoku no Tenshi » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:11 pm

O course that would mean that Gendo and Fuyutsuki had slept with or wanted to sleep with two of the same people.

ImageMaybe the very things he didn't like in Ikari we're things he saw in himself

FUYUTSUKI:
Yes, my first impression of you was of distaste Ikari.

IKARI:
Because we're so alike?

FUYUTSUKI:
:oops:

... destroy that fan art! It's causing mental contamination!
+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:17 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:You people will all think I'm nuts, but strangely enough, I like that fanart. :shock:

Well I certainly do!

Katayoku no Tenshi wrote:... destroy that fan art! It's causing mental contamination!

That's nothing! Just wait till Reichu asks you for suggestions for one of her "unspeakable fanfic attempts", that's when the REAL mental contamination begins!
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:23 pm

@ KnT: If I had any photoshopping Skillage, I would SO copy and paste Gendo and Fuytsuki's heads onto this scene:

FUYUTSUKI: Yes, my first impression of you was of distaste Ikari.

IKARI: Because we're so alike?

But such things would be wrong. Wrong indeed... :twisted:
*coughs* AEF is right. Any more of this and we'll go mad. MAD I TELLS YA!
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:27 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:You people will all think I'm nuts, but strangely enough, I like that fanart. :shock:

So do I.

Katayoku no Tenshi wrote:ImageMaybe the very things he didn't like in Ikari we're things he saw in himself <snip>

lulz

Although, put into a more serious context, I wonder if that may have been the case at all.

... destroy that fan art! It's causing mental contamination!

There are far worse G/K pictures I could have legally gotten away with posting.

AEF wrote:Well I certainly [think you're nuts]!

Uh oh. I smell projection! Kekekeke.

Just wait till Reichu asks you for suggestions for one of her "unspeakable fanfic attempts", that's when the REAL mental contamination begins!

To exist in a world with other people is to be mentally contaminated. The nature or extent of the various pollutants is an irrelevant side detail.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:37 pm

Reichu wrote:
AEF wrote:Well I certainly [think you're nuts]!

Uh oh. I smell projection! Kekekeke.

I've said I'm nuts for awhile now! Though not as nuts as you.

To exist in a world with other people is to be mentally contaminated. The nature or extent of the various pollutants is an irrelevant side detail.

What total BS! For example, is there supposed to be anything special in Dr. K's hand or is he just sticking it... Okay I'll stop there and spare everyone. But really, does this sound like something you want running through your head? I certainly could've done without it! And had I not met you I never would've had to deal with it Image.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:58 pm

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:I've said I'm nuts for awhile now! Though not as nuts as you.

Now, now, now. Let's not bicker and argue over who is the most nuts. We need only be joyous, that we were so blessed as to evade the blight of Pink-dom.

What total BS! For example, is there supposed to be anything special in Dr. K's hand or is he just sticking it...

:points to 2I thread at ANF:

If this thread has any hope of getting back on-topic, it would be best to start the reclamation proceedings now.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”