Can Kaworu be female at all?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Kjesta
Embryo

Can Kaworu be female at all?

Postby Kjesta » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:20 pm

Hi there!

This is something that really got me thinking for some time, so please no one hit me for asking this.

Can Kaworu be female?

I mean, I personally always saw him as a boy - until I came across the theory that Adam must be female ("our mother" or something along the lines) and, since Kaworu has Adam's soul, he/she/whatever must be female as well. (I'll call Kaworu "him" out of convenience, too lazy to type the .../she/etc every time.)

Sounds pretty logical at first, and even though I don't like the thought of Kaworu being female, it's convincing.

But I ended up asking myself if, just because he has Adam's soul, he has to be of his/her gender. I mean, does a soul itself even have a gender? That's the point where I'm always getting a knot in my brain. Does a soul have a gender? A soul is, in my views, your very basic self, your innermost emotions and feelings, the core of your being. But are any of those feelings (a certain kindness, joy of life, strong selfishness, whatever) male or female? That's what I'm getting at.

You're told what's male and what's female by the community, by the people around you. Let's imagine there weren't those stereotypes, let's just imagine there are no differences made between male and female except the bodily diversity. A soul has no genitalia = it has no gender. So far, so good.

I don't think Adam was a being that had a concept of being female. It (I'm saying it, out of convenienve again) just existed. Thus, its soul would also be untouched by people's views of genders.

If said soul, unaffected by the concepts of male and female, came to be put into a human body (and I am of the opinion that Kaworu has always been a boy, I personally don't think he has another form as well) and was raised as a male - doesn't that make it male in way? Maybe Kaworu hasn't seen much of the world (we don't know how he spent his earlier life before he was sent to NERV, after all), but he's most certainly been treated as a male being. He's wearing male clothes ('course, what else), his whole posture is rather male (I don't see many girls standing around like that, hands always in his pockets and such) and so on. He has a male voice, a male body. (And I'm sure Shinji would've reacted quite strongly if he hadn't - he'd been showering with him, he'd have freaked if Kaworu didn't have a male body.) All the things around him told him he was a male being.

Thus, even if Adam was female, (which I'm not too sure of - I see "mother" as more of a title, as a thing you call what everything comes from [as it is in certain cultures], not necessarily a definition of gender) this doesn't necessarily make Kaworu female.

Just thought I'd share my thoughts about it. What's your opinion on this?

And I'm very sorry for my English - it's not my mother tongue and I feel like I've been repeating myself quite often because I don't know enough words :oops:

~*Kjesta*~
King Richard, in one of his rages,
Forsook his good lady for ages,
And rested in bed
With a good book instead,
Or, preferably, one of the pages.

"Wenn der Finger zum Himmel zeigt, schaut nur ein Dummkopf den Finger an." - "When the finger points at the sky, only a dumbhead looks at the finger."

Res Novae
Embryo

Postby Res Novae » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:53 pm

In my opinion, Kaworu is male. Generally, a soul does not have reproductive organs, so even if we assume Adam is a female, Kaworu's body is not Adam's body. They may be the same person on a spiritual level, but it's as simple as that.
"There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself."

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:59 pm

One of us! One of us!

You appear to be the third independent case of coming to this idea.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Kjesta
Embryo

Postby Kjesta » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:10 pm

In my opinion, Kaworu is male. Generally, a soul does not have reproductive organs, so even if we assume Adam is a female, Kaworu's body is not Adam's body. They may be the same person on a spiritual level, but it's as simple as that.

That's what I said :D They may share the soul but that doesn't make them the same gender. A person is not divided into body and soul, they are linked closely. If I didn't look like I do look, I wouldn't be the same either. If I was a boy, with all the views and opinion and things in me I have now, I'd still be male. An untypical boy, maybe, but a boy.

One of us! One of us!

You appear to be the third independent case of coming to this idea.

Three is company! Yay!

But, hey, I had no idea I'm not the only one. Who's the third one, if I may ask?

By the way, seeing as how homophobic some people are, I think they might try to justify Kaworu's obvious affection for Shinji by saying he's female anyway. I don't want to say all people who think Kaworu's female are homophobic or something, but I suspect there could be a few who think this way. I see something very flirtous in Kaworu's behaviour, just listen to how he asks if he and Shinji will go to bed together - people tend to make him some kind of ethereal, higher being (that he no doubt is) without any knowledge of sexuality or even with a lack thereof. A human body gives him a sexuality. Whether he was much in touch with it (oh, how dirty that sounds) or not is not relevant, I can't imagine he doesn't have the slightest clue about sex and love. He is, just as Rei, as much a human as he is an angel. So I can't see why he shouldn't be able to love and feel like a human as well. (Rei does, she just doesn't show it/doesn't understand it.)
Last edited by Kjesta on Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
King Richard, in one of his rages,
Forsook his good lady for ages,
And rested in bed
With a good book instead,
Or, preferably, one of the pages.

"Wenn der Finger zum Himmel zeigt, schaut nur ein Dummkopf den Finger an." - "When the finger points at the sky, only a dumbhead looks at the finger."

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:18 pm

Kjesta wrote:But, hey, I had no idea I'm not the only one. Who's the third one, if I may ask?

Reichu had the idea first that I know of; and a guy called Jink on THAT BOARD (the one whose name is not spoken here) is the third.

I am but a disciple, having listened to Reichu's argument and thought - well, the Evangelions are female, but have a body form more like male humans (flat chest, wide shoulders) - and realised that it made sense.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:50 pm

Tines or Reichu, please direct this topic to the most relevent thread. I don't care enough about this topic to look. :P

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:02 pm

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:42 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:The obvious thread

http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1894

is locked.

*laugh*

So controversial, this subject!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus