Spear of Destiny

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
zephyr72
Lilith

Spear of Destiny

Postby zephyr72 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:50 pm

What are the origins of the spear of destiny in the context of Evangelion. Is it a product of science or was it found with the dead sea scrolls or what. I know that the spear of destiny was, historically, the lance that pierced Jesus.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:47 pm

There is no "Spear of Destiny" of NGE.

There is, however, a Spear of Longinus that has virtually nothing in common with the thing it's named after...

</nitpick>
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

zephyr72
Lilith

Postby zephyr72 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:58 pm

According to legend, the Holy Lance (also known as the Spear of Destiny, Holy Spear, Lance of Longinus, or Spear of Longinus) is the lance that pierced Jesus while he was on the cross. The Biblical account itself does not give a name to the spear, nor does it otherwise support the legends surrounding this artifact. - From a google search

anyway, is there anything on the origin of the thing in the show?

Master
Adam

Postby Master » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:38 pm

zephyr72 wrote:According to legend, the Holy Lance (also known as the Spear of Destiny, Holy Spear, Lance of Longinus, or Spear of Longinus) is the lance that pierced Jesus while he was on the cross. The Biblical account itself does not give a name to the spear, nor does it otherwise support the legends surrounding this artifact. - From a google search

I've read that all the great near rulers of the world (ex. Hitler) had the Lance at one time, but once you have the lance and you part with it you die somehow. They have it in the Keneu Reeves movie "Constintine" I know its spelled wrong. Sue me.
There is always more than one side to every story.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:42 pm

zephyr72 wrote:According to legend, the Holy Lance (also known as the Spear of Destiny, Holy Spear, Lance of Longinus, or Spear of Longinus) is the lance that pierced Jesus while he was on the cross. The Biblical account itself does not give a name to the spear, nor does it otherwise support the legends surrounding this artifact. - From a google search

The thing in the show is not the Christian artifact -- it is just named after it. Thus, identifying NGE's Spear of Longinus by any of its namesakes' other monikers is highly erroneous. This would be like calling NGE's Lilith "the Queen of Demons".

Adam was exhumated with the Spear impaling her (through the chest a la Lilith later). The Spear can change forms, be "copied" (read: cloned), and has been known to roar on one occasion, and the copies explode into orangey glop. It seems quite alive, and of the same unearthly origins as Adam and Lilith -- which, although not spoonfed to the audience in the show, is colorfully confirmed in a certain infamous extratextual source.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Master
Adam

Postby Master » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:54 pm

I swear that I heard a refrence to it being the spear that peirced crist side in the show, or I was high. Which was probilty the case.

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:57 pm

Master wrote:I swear that I heard a refrence to it being the spear that peirced crist side in the show, or I was high. Which was probilty the case.

You were high, which probably isn't something you want to go around telling people.THERE IS NO CHRISTIAN MEANING TO NGE!
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

zephyr72
Lilith

Postby zephyr72 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:59 pm

i could have sworn i saw "spear of destiny" as one of the subtitles while watching the show.

edit: not that it matters, i was just asking if there is an origin to the lance in the show.
Last edited by zephyr72 on Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Master
Adam

Postby Master » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:01 pm

See I am not alone. It had to be between episods 1-23 to narrow it down more would ruin the fun and cause me to think.

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:04 pm

Dude WTF? Where did you get your sub and HAVE YOU BEEN PAYING ATTENTION TO THIS FORUM AT ALL? Here I'll help you just because.
http://www.evaotaku.com/html/evafaq.html wrote:at the Otakon anime convention held in 2001, assistant director Kazuya Tsurumaki (who was the director of The End of Evangelion: Episode 25' Air - while Anno personally undetook The End of Evangelion: Episode 26' Sincerely Yours and acted as Chief Director) was asked directly what relvance Christianity had to Evangelion. This was his reply:

Tsurumaki: There are a lot of giant robot shows in Japan, and we did want our story to have a religious theme to help distinguish us. Because Christianity is an uncommon religion in Japan we thought it would be mysterious. None of the staff who worked on Eva are Christians. There is no actual Christian meaning to the show, we just thought the visual symbols of Christianity look cool. If we had known the show would get distributed in the US and Europe we might have rethought that choice.

NGE2 CI wrote:22. The Spear of Longinus

A. Publicly Released Information

Data unavailable.

B. Generally Recognized Information

It was found in the White Moon with Adam at the South Pole. In essence, the Spear of Longinus is a security device that comes as a set with a Seed of Life.

C. Confidential Information

It is a spear which has a will and is a type of lifeform capable of moving by itself. This is an item close to a god and thus able to put a Seed of Life
(Progenitor Entity), who holds the power of eternal life, into suspended
animation, and this is the reason why the Seed of Life (Progenitor Entity) does not reach god-status. The First Ancestral Race prepared this as a counter-measure in the event that a Seed of Life (Progenitor Entity) did not follow their own goals.

It is thought that a Spear acting as Lilith's counterpart was separated from
her by the shock at the time of First Impact. This Spear has yet to be found. There is a chance that it may have been destroyed.

D. In-Depth Information

For the purpose of opening the Path to Divinity, Gendo and Seele brought
Lilith's growth to a point just before the final stage, and to temporarily
delay this they are having Nerv transport the Spear of Longinus that was paired with Adam.
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

zephyr72
Lilith

Postby zephyr72 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:16 pm

i know that the damn show isn't a Christian show; i just didn't know where the lance in the show came from. Yes, i have been paying attention to the forum and i received my answers already. I just was trying to clear up whatever misunderstandings my statements may have caused. In the meantime, you don't have to be a dick about the whole thing.

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:22 pm

All of this has been posted I don't know how many times. I know you've been around and should have seen it all. Forums have a search functions to look things up. Try that next time instead of rehashing something as constant rehashes get really annoying. All I can tell you is sarcasm used by others has rubbed off on me and this is the after effect, don't take it entirely serious.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:24 pm

I think this thread has served its purpose.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”