Help!

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Isadora
Embryo

Help!

•      
  •      

Postby Isadora » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:18 am

Hi, everyone!

I'm new here, but I'm already fascinated by all the discussions I've perused! It's comforting to know that some subtler aspects of the show have piqued the curiousity of others in the same way as it has my own.

On to business ...... -_~

Watching through the series (Platinum edition), it just seemed obvious to me that the souls of the pilots' mothers were somehow in the Evas. (With the exception of Eva 00, which is a more complicated matter.) Therefore, I was shocked to find two separate groups of friends practically laugh at me when I mentioned it. *sob* I'm glad to see others conclude the same on these forums and was hoping to gain some aid from my mother hypothesis allies. Since I simply intuit my conclusions on the matter and took it forgranted while watching, I sheepishly shut my mouth. If it wouldn't trouble you folk, would someone mind citing specific episodes or lines that support these conclusions so I may confidently retort next time this comes up in conversation? I feel I must redeem myself. :oops:

Also:
I found the matter concerning the Script and the Dead Sea Scrolls rather confusing. Why did people feel that eminent doom would occur if an angel came in contact with Lillith and why would certain organizations encourage it? (If either circumstance is true, anyhow) What exactly is the Script? Is it something the committee wrote out or was it already established in the Scrolls? So confused .....

Lleonard Pler
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Lleonard Pler » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:32 am

You are right. The mothers' souls are inside the EVAs. Some reasons/hints you can tell your friends:

-Their mothers' souls being inside the EVA Units is the only reason why Shinji has a better Synchro with EVA-01 and Asuka with EVA-02.

-EVA-01 is always protecting Shinji from harm.

-Shinji "communicates" with his mother while being inside the EVA-01.

-Asuka "communicates" with her mother while being inside the EVA-02. She even gets to hear her voice.

-Yui didn't die in the EVA-01 launch, she rather became "sucked up" into it, in a similar way to Shinji in one of the chapters.

In the manga version, this is much more evident.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:16 pm

It's also worth noting that

Kensuke has no mother (episode 4 - talking to Shinji in the tent)
Touji talks about his father and grandfather, but not his mother (episode 3 - talking about visiting his injured little sister)
Hikari does the housework for her sisters (episode 17 - talking about having leftovers for lunch)
All the class are pilot candidates (episode somewhere between 17 and 23, when Misato finds this out and tells Shinji)

Also, if you haven't already seen End of Evangelion, there Kyoko's presence in EVA-02 is made explicit and Yui's shown outright (if not put into words as such).
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

kaos
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby kaos » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:55 am

Of course this always comes in handy:

[URL=http://animenation.net/forums/showthread.php?t=188682&highlight=NGE2+CI]See here for the rest[/URL].

NGE2: CI wrote:1. The Development of Eva (Eva no Kouzou)

A. Publicly Released Information

The multipurpose humanoid decisive battle weapons developed by Nerv for use in combat against the Angels. They operate on electric power supplied via cable. The internal battery is only good for 5 minutes.

B. Generally Recognized Information

Clonally regenerated from the First Angel, who was discovered at the South Pole in the year 2000. The significance of this is that Evas have features in common with the Angels. One example is the A.T. Field, which can manipulate a physical domain. Evas differ from Angels in that they lack both S2 Engines and souls.*

C. Confidential Information

An Eva is a vessel for a soul that has abandoned human form, and a magnification of the self, i.e., the embodiment of a large human being. Attempts were made to operate Evas, but souls were not placed within them, and the entry of a soul was essential. The soul that enters an Eva is called a pilot. However, it takes more than a pilot to make Eva move. Perhaps the pilot cannot properly utilize the Eva's capabilities.*

D. In-Depth Information

An Eva combines the body of a god and the soul of a human being. To bridge the gap between the two, a unit called a "core" is utilized. The soul of the pilot's mother, which is contained within the core, acts as a medium and makes piloting possible.

Due to difficulties encountered in the development of EVA-00, the core's system is poorly constructed, and she falls behind in performance capacity as a result. Another reason for her inferiority is that EVA-00's pilot, Rei, does not have a mother.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”