Maya Ibuki

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
fadingreminder
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby fadingreminder » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:25 pm

I'd like to play Devil's Advocate on this!

In regards to Maya being straight:
If Maya saw Ritsuko before she tanged and that is grounds to believe that she is a lesbian, then since Aoba saw an army of naked Reis, does that mean he is a pedarist(sp?)?

That being said... I agree that Maya was gay. What a twist!

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:29 pm

fadingreminder wrote:pedarist(sp?)?

pederast. But since Rei is very definitely nubile in appearance, only by arbitrary convention.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

CitizenGeek
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby CitizenGeek » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:29 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:CitizenGeek: Yes, Gendo & Yui married. Hence, Fuyutsuki was in an unrequited love with his former student (Yui).

I know, I was just being sarcastic :p

(I think I'll leave the sarcasm out in the future, doesn't seem to translate so well from my mind to the internets!)

She IS a lesbian, I don't know what more proof you need.

I didn't think we'd ever agree on anything, but it seems we just have! ;p

V wrote:So just as Smithers is a "Burns-sexual", I think Maya is a "Ritsuko-sexual" (Ritsusexual)

Hah, nice explanation but I'm not all that sure I buy it 100%. Yes, Maya doesn't show an interest in any other woman, but she doesn't show an interest in any men either and the fact she was clearly uncomfortable when Kaji (a man) flirted with her would seem to indicate that she is, indeed, a lesbian.

fadingreminder wrote:In regards to Maya being straight:
If Maya saw Ritsuko before she tanged and that is grounds to believe that she is a lesbian, then since Aoba saw an army of naked Reis, does that mean he is a pedarist(sp?)?

That's a tough one, I think. Aoba seemed to be taking the end of the world the hardest of all the three 'bridge bunnies', so it's likely that Lilith just figured he was beyond help or maybe he 'cracked' before the Rei figure could morph into Aoba's true love?

However, I would think it's probably more to do with the fact that Aoba's romantic life is never even remotely hinted at in the series and Anno simply didn't know who to put as his 'guide'.
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf mutes.

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:47 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:She IS a lesbian, I don't know what more proof you need.

A steamy makeout session would be nice.

And just a reminder kids, I'm ON RECORD as saying that she probably is a lesbian . All I'm saying is that nothing is written in stone, and when you see something one way, someone else can see the complete opposite.

KTHXBUHBAI
Last edited by TriLink on Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:47 pm

CitizenGeek wrote:
However, I would think it's probably more to do with the fact that Aoba's romantic life is never even remotely hinted at in the series and Anno simply didn't know who to put as his 'guide'.

He should have a giant guitar-Rei then and not screwing with our minds for that too.
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:47 pm

fadingreminder wrote:I'd like to play Devil's Advocate on this!

In regards to Maya being straight:

That being said... I agree that Maya was gay. What a twist!

No you see the point is Aoba didn't care about anyone, so instead of seeing someone he loved and willingly giving in, an army of naked Rei's had to confront him as he cowered in fear....frankly I hope Rebuild takes this up a notch by having his spray bullets at the Rei-avatars using his submachine gun, but in vain.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

fadingreminder
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby fadingreminder » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:48 pm

All I'm saying is if it turns into your one, true desire then why didn't Eric Clapton or a 12-string Schecter tang Aoba?

My answer to this mystery though? I love what the Evapedia says about the matter. The idea that he didn't love/trust anyone enough to see anyone "special."

EDIT: Awesome, Before I finished posting there was a guitar post AND a post talking about Aoba's trust issues, ironic!
Last edited by fadingreminder on Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:50 pm

CitizenGeek wrote:Hah, nice explanation but I'm not all that sure I buy it 100%. Yes, Maya doesn't show an interest in any other woman, but she doesn't show an interest in any men either and the fact she was clearly uncomfortable when Kaji (a man) flirted with her would seem to indicate that she is, indeed, a lesbian.

So we can now safely say that a woman not overtly interested in A man is unconditionally interested only in women. :wink:
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:51 pm

fadingreminder wrote:All I'm saying is if it turns into your one, true desire then why didn't Eric Clapton or a 12-string Schecter tang Aoba?

My answer to this mystery though? I love what the Evapedia says about the matter. The idea that he didn't love/trust anyone enough to see anyone "special."

That section of the Evapedia is actually one of the more unfinished sections, please check back later
Who is "Codename V"?....

CitizenGeek
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby CitizenGeek » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:02 pm

TriLink12 wrote:A steamy makeout session would be nice.

That would be mindless fanservice and would completely devalue any meaning of acceptance that Maya is meant to convey. So, no, I don't think that'd be 'nice' (note: I understand you said that in jest).

V wrote:So we can now safely say that a woman not overtly interested in A man is unconditionally interested only in women. :wink:

Again, this forum has an awful habit of trying far too hard to look "beyond" certain things when a) there's no need to, and b) you won't find anything there. Even if Maya had felt uncomfortable around 10 different men who tried to flirt with her, there'd still be those few that said "just because she wasn't interested those particular 10 men doesn't make her a lesbian".

Let me ask you this: What point is there in showing that Maya is uncomfortable around a man that flirts with her, even though Kaji and Maya share no meaningful relationship in the series?

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:31 pm

Stardust-chan wrote:<snip>

In this case, I guess Maya's a Senpaisexual! :mrgreen:
oh good God in heaven :x

this isn't meant to be an offense to SSD or V, but it is getting so annoying what with everything getting the "(insert word here)-sexual" treatment

with "metro-sexual" and "uber-sexual", ugh!

kind of reminds me of how everything was (and still kind of does) getting "extreme" or "x" hyphenated in with everything a few years ago
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:37 pm

V wrote:...frankly I hope Rebuild takes this up a notch by having his spray bullets at the Rei-avatars using his submachine gun, but in vain.

"C'mon! C'mon, you bastards! C'mon, you too! Oh, you want some of this? Fuck you!"

Sploosh!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:07 pm

CitizenGeek wrote:Again, this forum has an awful habit of trying far too hard to look "beyond" certain things <snip>

"Stick to the points, not the people" excludes generalized comments like this, too.

Oh yeah. On-topic, Shin-seiki wanted me to make something like this eons ago, and it's been lying around on my HD for months:

Whoa, watch where you're poking that thing!
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:30 pm

lol Leg-humping! Question about the gif: Was any of that slowed down, or is it all "real-time"; just with those exclaimation marks/arrows added in?

Smith's idea on what should happen is cool, I like it. ^_^

And Hal, I was half-joking when I said that. Note the emoticon. Personally, I find the term "meterosexual" to be stupid, but that's other issue altogether.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:46 pm

Stardust-chan wrote:<snip>

And Hal, I was half-joking when I said that. Note the emoticon. Personally, I find the term "meterosexual" to be stupid, but that's other issue altogether.
Yeah, I knew you were.

The never-ending supply of cliches and memes, though. AHH!! :roll:

Sig worthy quote (?):

If I were to become God, I would make everyone possess the compulsion to create something original.
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

CitizenGeek
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby CitizenGeek » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:52 pm

Well, I must say it's nice to agree with the majority, for a change :p

Maya Ibuki is a lesbian - is there any particular reason Anno would put a gay character in his anime? Gay characters are never, ever portrayed in a mature, real way in anime, so I wonder if Anno had any specific reason outside of a possible disdain for homophobia to put Maya in Eva?

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

I'm Hal's #1 Fanboy!

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:08 pm

THE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:Sig worthy quote (?):

If I were to become God, I would make everyone possess the compulsion to create something original.

Aww what the hell; SIGGED! :)
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:15 pm

Citizen Geek wrote:Gay characters are never, ever portrayed in a mature, real way in anime.

I can think of several: Zoisite in Sailor Moon, Haruka & Michiru in Sailor Moon S and Sailor Stars, Yuki and Shuichi in Gravitation, Maya in Eva, Tomha and Yukito (hey, Ogata again! ^_^) in Card Captor Sakura.....
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:17 pm

V at Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:50 pm wrote:

V at Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:51 pm wrote:

V... why don't ever just edit your posts?

CitizenGeek wrote:Well, I must say it's nice to agree with the majority, for a change :p

Maya Ibuki is a lesbian - is there any particular reason Anno would put a gay character in his anime? Gay characters are never, ever portrayed in a mature, real way in anime, so I wonder if Anno had any specific reason outside of a possible disdain for homophobia to put Maya in Eva?

A pairing of convenience perhaps? To feature her also being stormed by Reis would of been "over-doing it" (not to mention rather contrary to what we know of her as a person), and adding some other character in just for the sake of her trusting them instead would of been rather time-consuming and overall, a wasteful addition to the story. 8)
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:46 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Question about the gif: Was any of that slowed down, or is it all "real-time"; just with those exclaimation marks/arrows added in?

I played around with the timing liberally.

CitizenGeek wrote:Maya Ibuki is a lesbian

Or, at the very least, "Sempai"'s knee is a Maya-approved means of achieving LCLgasm. "<3 <3 <3"

But be careful who you call a "lesbian". Maya might have another term she likes better. ::p LGBT is a complicated world.

In case it wasn't already mentioned (yeah right), Maya stares fixedly at GNR's giant naked boobies as they rise from the depths. Seriously.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”