Fun with graphs

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

Fun with graphs

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:36 am

One of the most annoying things about NGE is all that background scientific crap. This graph being one of those instances:

It looks like a Cartesian coordinate system graph if anyone feels brave enough to tackle this beast cause I sure as hell didn't enjoy my attempt. Which failed quite miserably I might add.

It clearly has something to do with the mind. I've speculated it's the psychograph we hear about every so often since it's got psychic essence threshold signal on it.

ep #22 wrote:Ibuki (OFF):
Her psychograph readings are at their limit!

EoE wrote:Shigeru:
Psychograph signal down!

ep #14 wrote:Hyuga (OFF):
Self psycho-graph is stable.

Maya called it Shinji's ego border.

ep #20 wrote:Ibuki:
It's no good. The ego border is frozen in a loop.

You can clearly see the loop on the graph and ZOMG is says abnormal loop on it. So it seems to have something to do with ATFs. Recently I was skimming through the Platinum transcripts and found this:

ep #22 wrote:Ibuki:
She's in danger! The mental contamination has entered Y!

For those such as myself that are utterly clueless in this area Y is the vertical line on the graph. What Asuka said next REALLY jumped out at me as it helps make some sense of the damn thing:

ep #22 wrote:Asuka:
No!
Don't... Don't come inside me!
It hurts!
It hurts!
No!
No!
Don't look inside my mind!
Please! Don't dig deeper into my heart!

I was like WTF mental contamination has entered Y followed by that? Okay WTF is X then? Gotta admit there I'm still lost but ZOMG! Can ANYONE make sense of this monster?

typo
Last edited by Anonymous_Evafan on Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:47 am

We know from the Reiquarium destruction that Destrudo, in Eva, means either absence or annulation of ATF. So I suspect that "Libido" is the opposite, ATF at its full strength. Let us not forget that they don't talk about ATF on humans until #24. And that the CI equates what they called "ego" to ATF. So this graph might just show in values the "power" of an ATF. If it's on the Libido side, it mantains form. If it's on the Destrudo one, form is lost.
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:02 am

Yeah I had thoughts of Destrudo weakening ATFs and Libido strengthening them.

I think I figured out just what X and Y are!!!!!
X (horizontal line)=conscious mind
Y (vertical line)=subconscious mind
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:36 am

Well, that one was solved rather quickly...
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:55 am

Was it really? I still don't know how they use the system to monitor whatever it is they monitor, or why for that matter. The exact details on how it works are still unknown so there's still plenty of room for major fanwanking here.

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Szmitten » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:53 am

Plus in Freud psychology, Libido is the wish to live and reproduce, whereas Destrudo is the wish to die and/or destroy. Similar to Eros and Thanatos.

Don't take it as a literal wish to live/die every time though, it's just the general feeling in most cases.

In terms of Evangelion, Shinji was in the Destrudo state when he apparently wasn't ready to return to a physical form yet. Also, one could interpret the "meeting-someone-before-you-tang" during 3I as a metaphysical representation of Libido (what with all of the feelings of euphoric ecstacy, and Aoba REALLY wanting to keep his physical form/life).

Rommel
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Rommel » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:26 pm

Initiate fanwaking!

A graph is a simple way to illustrate data. It also allows for predictions based on whatever formula/equation aproaches the graph. For example, you'd be able to determine safe levels of stuff like mental contamination by knowing what the curve of the graph looks like and what it's values are when it approaches dangerous levels. And that's even without using derivatives and integrals.

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:41 pm

Szmitten wrote: Also, one could interpret the "meeting-someone-before-you-tang" during 3I as a metaphysical representation of Libido (what with all of the feelings of euphoric ecstacy, and Aoba REALLY wanting to keep his physical form/life).

How do you figure that? They lost their physical forms.
Psychograph signal down!

Makoto:
Destrudo materializing!

Fuyutsuki:
Surely the pilot's ego can't take much more...

Shortly there-after
Solenoid graph inverting! ego barrier weakening!

And finally
EoE wrote:]Yui (voice):
This Rei is your heart... Your very hopes and dreams...

Rei (voice):
What do you wish for?

Does that really sound like Libido is invloved?

Rommel wrote:A graph is a simple way to illustrate data.

Simple? This graph? Image

Rommel
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Rommel » Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:52 pm

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:

Rommel wrote:A graph is a simple way to illustrate data.

Simple? This graph? Image

Imagine if they had to do it with stick figures.

Besides, graphs get a lot worse than that and engineers use them to built, you know, everything. 8)

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”