Ritsuko knew Kaworu was an Angel (probably)

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
jeffythedragonslayer
Embryo

Ritsuko knew Kaworu was an Angel (probably)

•      
  •      

Postby jeffythedragonslayer » Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:48 pm

15 minutes into episode 24, Misato has a recorded conversation with Ritsuko where she asks who the fifth children is. Ritsuko replies, "He's probably the final messenger."

The greek word "angelos" άγγελος means "messenger."

It looks like Ritsuko knew that Kaworu was an angel before he even activated Unit 02 without an entry plug, but she's saying it in a cryptic way that Misato doesn't understand. Misato doesn't put the puzzle pieces together until Hyuuga informs her that a pattern blue A.T. Field has been detected in the Central Dogma.

What motive did Ritsuko have for witholding this information? It kind of sounds to me like she doesn't know whether to be loyal to NERV or not anymore after struggling with Gendo's similar interrogation over the dummy system, but can't seem to make up her mind. She still is trying to do her job at the same time, by answering questions. Maybe she was just unaware Misato wouldn't understand the term "messenger." What do you guys think?

LucAAAs
Embryo

Re: Ritsuko knew Kaworu was an Angel (probably)

•      
  •      

Postby LucAAAs » Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:24 pm

Ritsuko has always been more involved in the mysteries of NERV and SEELE, so her knowing this is plausible, and by ep.24 she is already pretty disillusioned with everything, so maybe she just gave up trying to resist the unfolding chaos. If she knew Kaworu was the 17th angel she probably also knew he was sent by Seele, for reasons I dont understand :???: (if anyone knows please tell me), who have already intimidated her and by that point actively oppose Gendo, who she now despises and probably wants to fail in dodging SEELE.

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:40 am

That line very much means that Ritsuko knew. As for why she didn't do anything - she knew he'd been sent by Seele, and probably had a suspicion that they knew as well, and since she didn't want to be found having commited suicide by two shots to the back of the head, she kept her mouth shut, because if your bosses send the double agent infiltrating you, your options are rather limited to begin with
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:26 pm

I mean, uh, Messenger is just a more literal translation of the term used in Japanese. FWIW, I remember ADV dub had it as it as "He's probably the last Angel". I checked Netflix and that isn't the case there. You might or might not know how ADV actually butted heads with Gainax over whether to translate it as Messenger or Angel, despite Gainax using Angel in their English-language text and merchandising.

jeffythedragonslayer
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby jeffythedragonslayer » Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:56 pm

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:I mean, uh, Messenger is just a more literal translation of the term used in Japanese. FWIW, I remember ADV dub had it as it as "He's probably the last Angel". I checked Netflix and that isn't the case there. You might or might not know how ADV actually butted heads with Gainax over whether to translate it as Messenger or Angel, despite Gainax using Angel in their English-language text and merchandising.

You remember correctly. In ADV, after Hyuuga informs Misato she says "that means that Ritsuko was..." so there it sounds more like she was reluctant to believe her, as was Shinji.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”