Can an Evangelion have the soul of the pilot's father?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Grayfox5
Embryo

Can an Evangelion have the soul of the pilot's father?

•      
  •      

Postby Grayfox5 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:20 pm

I've been wondering if an Evangelion could even work if it used the soul of the pilot's father rather than the mother. Would it have limitations or was it simply never put into effect as mothers tend to have a greater bond with their children? (Or was it just for symbolization?) :chinscratch:
It felt like I was caught in the biggest lie in the world. Yes, it felt exactly like that.

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: Can an Evangelion have the soul of the pilot's father?

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:05 pm

It's only mothers; I'm a bit rusty on the precise dialogue, so I don't recall off the top of my head if it was stated outright or was written between the lines, but only the souls of the mothers are compatible.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:05 am

"Return to the womb" - which, let's face it, the entry plug full of warm sustaining fluid really symbolises - only really works with mothers.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:31 am

I think the “return to womb” symbolism is more of a narrative thing than an in-universe limitation of the technology. For one, we don’t know whose soul is in Unit-0 but it’s definitely not Rei’s mother because she either (a) doesn’t have one, or (b) Yui is technically her “mother” but she’s already in Unit-1.

I think in-universe, the technology probably works with any sufficiently-strong emotional bond, it’s just that through experimentation they determined that the inherent bond between mother and child had the highest success rate by a large margin and thus the only one worth seriously pursuing.

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:15 am

All of Shinji's classmates seem to have dead mothers, so I'd say it had to be the mother. Unless of course, my old theory is right. It's generally accepted that the Adam contact experiment that set off Second Impact was with professor Katsuragi. I always believed, I still do, that there must have been some nefarious reason for Misato's presence. You don't normally take children to Antarctica on classified and highly dangerous missions. So perhaps they were planning on turning Adam into an Eva with Katsuragi's soul and Misato as the pilot. Note that Adam is wearing shoulder restraints during 2I that are absent in the excavation.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Grayfox5
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Grayfox5 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:39 am

View Original PostArcher wrote:it’s just that through experimentation they determined that the inherent bond between mother and child had the highest success rate by a large margin and thus the only one worth seriously pursuing.

If they did experiment with the father's soul, how did it turn out in like a combat situation? I'm leaning toward the father's soul being much more aggressive in the Evangelion and along with being much more savage in the berserk state in comparison to the mother; fathers tend to have an almost god-given instinct to protect their children as they think they aren't capable of handling such a big threat like an angel so the berserk state would probably be activated much earlier like the dummy plug in Unit-01 doing a non-genuine berserk mode against Unit-03.

But that's just how I think it would be as I'm running off of two hours of sleep :sniffle:

shinryujimikihiko
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby shinryujimikihiko » Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:08 am

Let's not forget that Shinji is absorbed by Unit 01, and he's male. The storage of a male soul in an Eva is not an issue. The requirement of a mother-child bond to motivate the pilot is largely for thematic reasons, not a limitation of the fake technology.

sithsauron
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby sithsauron » Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:23 am

I got it! Unit-00 contains the soul of Yui's mother!

shinryujimikihiko
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby shinryujimikihiko » Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:03 am

View Original Postsithsauron wrote:I got it! Unit-00 contains the soul of Yui's mother!

I always liked the theory that is has Naoko inside it since that paralells and contrasts with Asuka's mother being in unit 02: Asuka's mother loved her in life but tried to kill her in a fit of madness before killing herself, and Naoko tried to at least be kind to Rei (and failed, as we see onscreen) and then murdered her, only to kill herself in remorse.

Asunji_Yuko
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Asunji_Yuko » Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:30 pm

View Original PostArcher wrote:I think the “return to womb” symbolism is more of a narrative thing than an in-universe limitation of the technology. For one, we don’t know whose soul is in Unit-0 but it’s definitely not Rei’s mother because she either (a) doesn’t have one, or (b) Yui is technically her “mother” but she’s already in Unit-1.

I think in-universe, the technology probably works with any sufficiently-strong emotional bond, it’s just that through experimentation they determined that the inherent bond between mother and child had the highest success rate by a large margin and thus the only one worth seriously pursuing.

That makes me think, if there were a father Evangelion, narratively speaking, wouldn't the pilot have to get into a a swinging pair of....you know what, nevermind.

Asunji_Yuko
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Asunji_Yuko » Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:32 pm

View Original Postshinryujimikihiko wrote:
View Original Postsithsauron#942463 wrote:I got it! Unit-00 contains the soul of Yui's mother!

I always liked the theory that is has Naoko inside it since that paralells and contrasts with Asuka's mother being in unit 02: Asuka's mother loved her in life but tried to kill her in a fit of madness before killing herself, and Naoko tried to at least be kind to Rei (and failed, as we see onscreen) and then murdered her, only to kill herself in remorse.

Yeah but doesn't make much sense when we look at units 1 and 2, more likely Rei I. Although if it were Naoko, it means Ritsuko could technically pilot it...

Cola-09
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Cola-09 » Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:03 pm

Just posting this for completeness:
https://wiki.evageeks.org/Theory_and_An ... 0%27s_Soul

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”