Why didn’t Midori try to hunt down Shinji after the end?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

Why didn’t Midori try to hunt down Shinji after the end?

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Fri May 26, 2023 7:24 pm

We know that Midori blames Shinji for the death of her family, and she wanted revenge for it. And she would have had her revenge if Misato didn’t take the bullet.

So Shinji resets the world, more or less fixes it. But that didn’t bring the victims of the Third Impact from the dead. After the end, I assumed that Midori would still want to kill Shinji to make him pay for his actions, so why didn’t she?
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

Re: Why didn’t Midori try to hunt down Shinji after the end?

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Fri May 26, 2023 8:00 pm

I think it’s straight up just not an option. I’m increasingly of the opinion that Shinji and Mari sacrificed themselves at the end and are trapped forever in the negative zone, because every explanation for how the final scene might take place in the reset “outside world” has a TON of holes and requires seriously questionable mental gymnastics.

MsenjaKagami
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MsenjaKagami » Fri May 26, 2023 8:36 pm

Well the overly literal answer is because the movie ended and because said conclusion ended the continuity before anything resembling the proposed sequence of events could happen.

For a diegetic answer though, which I assume is what you're actually asking for, Midori probably realized that killing Shinji out of revenge wasn't going to bring her family back, so the time and effort she'd have to put into hunting him down wouldn't be worth it (y'know, revenge bad and all that). Also, while I don't personally buy the interpretation that Shinji and Mari are trapped in the Anti-Universe (I agree that the train station scene is still in the Anti-Universe, but I don't think they're necessarily stuck there forever), there is a point to be made that as far as everyone else in the restored universe knows, Shinji died in the process of Neon Genesis-ing the world back to normal. The only people who might even be aware of what happened to him are Asuka and possibly Rei if she also returned to the original world, and neither of them were around to see Yui and Gendo sacrifice themselves in Shinji's place.

Personally if I were Midori, I'd've just let that sh*t go and moved one with my life after that point. But hey if you wanna come up with your own story where she does goes on a worldwide chase to exact her revenge, I'm not gonna stop you.
Avatar Source: https://twitter.com/AwakeningDog/status ... UW7kpedBvg

Software engineering degree haver, aspiring pretend storyteller

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat May 27, 2023 12:45 pm

I'm pretty sure she mainly wanted to kill him to stop him from causing more harm. So there would be no point anymore. She learned she was wrong too.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Sat May 27, 2023 1:48 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:I'm pretty sure she mainly wanted to kill him to stop him from causing more harm. So there would be no point anymore. She learned she was wrong too.

Exactly. Midori only tried to shoot Shinji, because she feel he would make the situation worse. She has resentment towards Shinji, but trying to kill him wasn't her original goal.

Also, although Midori doesn't forgive Shinji, it's pretty clear she decided to move on after the incident with Sakura.

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:24 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:I'm pretty sure she mainly wanted to kill him to stop him from causing more harm.

Yeah. I had the impression that WILLE considered him not only a destroyer, but also a savior of sorts. They know he saved the world several times before N3I. Sakura said herself. They just didn't want to risk using him as a pilot again and had some personal resentment of course. If they wanted him dead, they would've killed him. Even taking into account Misato's protection.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:46 am

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:Yeah. I had the impression that WILLE considered him not only a destroyer, but also a savior of sorts. They know he saved the world several times before N3I. Sakura said herself. They just didn't want to risk using him as a pilot again and had some personal resentment of course. If they wanted him dead, they would've killed him. Even taking into account Misato's protection.

As you said, WILLE's crew could have really killed Shinji at the start of 3.0. In fact, Shinji's punishment from WILLE is pretty soft if we consider that his crime is "destruction of the world".

I don't think WILLE consider Shinji as a savior (Sakura's perspective is likely influenced by Touji), but they couldn't really deny Shinji was saving the World before N3I. Also, they know the N3I wasn't intentionally caused by Shinji.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”