Anno Fireside Chat on Amazon

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Anno Fireside Chat on Amazon

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:49 am

I personally don't know who Hitoshi Matsumoto is (I'll educate myself on that) but there's a two part conversation running 82 minutes total between him & Hideaki Anno about their respective approaches to art on Amazon Prime in the US with english subtitles.

I'll watch this later. Should have some interesting insight.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: Anno Fireside Chat on Amazon

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:02 pm

Mastumoto is one of the biggest comedians in Japan and has been active since the 80’s. He’s part of the Manzi team Downtown and is probably best known for the show Gaki no Tsuki and it’s segment “Silent Library”. There’s also the annual Batsu games they have every New Year’s Eve.

I actually knew about him before Anno, but that’s because I’m a massive weeb. Looking forward to seeing this after work.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:15 pm

If you wanna make family movie night really weird watch Matsumoto's R100
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

ProcopiousJones
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ProcopiousJones » Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:18 pm

Matsumoto also did a couple of shows for Prime, Documental and FREEZE!, both of which are evolutions of formats that first appeared on Gaki No Tsukai.

I would highly recommend watching Documental, especially if you're a fan of "no-holds barred" comedy.
What is Shin but just a bone in our bodies.

It might have broken a few times...

evaunit13
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby evaunit13 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:34 am

This was a good watch, some of the highlights what will go into my Anno quote wall:
- "I'm fine being alone."
- "The movie doesn't change. People do."
- On why he's a director: "I'm unfit for society."
- "Those who provide the money have the ultimate authority. My top priority for a project is to recover the investment."
- "If it was boxing, I'd definitely put GoPros on the gloves. I'd want the referee's perspective too. A GoPro here on his head."
- "It comes down to camera position and focal length."
i want rebuild

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:56 am

I also liked, "Expect a lot of awkward silence "

"Being a producer forced me to become an adult "

Also, the way Anno has not seen any recent television and then really gets into it when talking about vintage Ultraman and Kamen Rider is a lot me talking to my normie friends.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

evaunit13
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby evaunit13 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:32 pm

I particularly liked his sentiment on even documentaries not being reality due to being edited. Adds another leg on his ontological hobby horse on what is reality.

His admittance to not watching a lot of movies or shows, preferring depth in his favorites over breadth, is in line with a lot of other artists who seemingly draw inspiration from outside their respective mediums.
i want rebuild

TomsonPRD
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TomsonPRD » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:18 am

What really interested me was Anno's forthright answer regarding how much he (doesn't) value the success of his works abroad, during the first minutes of Ep. 2 (taken from Amazon subtitles)

It's close to zero for me. Even Shin Godzilla was for a domestic audience. I create with Japanese speakers in Japan in mind.

I'm really thrilled that people in other countries enjoy it but a global audience wasn't my aim. It can't be. I don't get English. Unless you get English you can't make something fit for English-speaking countries. The way of thinking is different, I studied some English but I just don't get it. My brain just doesn't work that way, so I can only make things that align with a Japanese way of thinking. Japanese only.

I'm really happy that my work can be translated to English and other languages and shared with people in other countries, but I don't create with that in mind. Is it OK to say this on Amazon? Is it? (laughs)

[Though] The fact that it's available and they can understand and enjoy it really makes me happy.
Last edited by TomsonPRD on Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:05 pm

Weird flex from the guy who seems to have spent 8 years flipping out about precisely how and by whom his work is translated into English.

Though I don’t think he’s necessarily saying there that he doesn’t care how his works are received abroad, so much as that he doesn’t consciously target an international audience in the process of creation - which is a bit different.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:14 am

Watched this and I love how much of an absolute nerd Anno is!! Getting answers from him in part 1 was a lot of awkward pauses and short responses. He answered the questions but he wasn't overly personable. But then in Part 2 the conversation turns to "What do you like about Ultraman?" and Anno just rambles on for like 7 minutes straight on nerdy little things about the original show he loves!

That was perfection!

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”