Shin Eva General: Reborn

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Shin Eva General: Reborn

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:59 pm

The joy of creation is also the fate of destruction. In this case, the creation of a new thread because the other one got too long. Fire away, folks.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Tajai
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: Shin Eva General: Reborn

•      
  •      

Postby Tajai » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:53 pm

A curious thing I found in the Google Play page for 3.0+1.0;

Most of the original Funimation rebuild cast is present, with the exception of Spike Spencer, him having been replaced by Hannes Maurer, which I assume is the german VA for Shinji in the rebuilds.
Could this be the confirmed cast for the movie or is this just a placeholder?
God's in his heaven, all's right with the world.

Slowpokeking
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Slowpokeking » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:55 pm

Based on current info, what I'm pleased and what I'm not.

Good:
Most of Q's problem and questions were handled while it shouldn't have happened.
Gendo was given more characterization while it could have been done even better.
We got to see Kensuke and Toji in a nice way.
Nice interaction between Asuka and Shinji.
A happy ending.

Bad:
Misato's son was entirely unnecessary and caused problem to her. She has been played down to a supporting role rather than one of the leading female.
Kaiji simply died years ago.
Ritsuko is still a nobody compare to her old character.
The matchup, Mari and Shinji has no chemistry. That Kaworu/Rei scene was also a bit weird because they got little interaction before, more of a fanservice.
The happy ending could have been handled in a better way without resetting/creating the world. What's done is done, the characters are awesome because of their experience.

Overall I think Q was a bad move to set everything into 14 years later without enough screen time to tell all the changes, especially when the Rebuild series already had less time to build up the characters. This one also had to fill the holes, some were done well some weren't.

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:13 pm

Virtually all creation myths begin with the sacrifice of a deity whose body becomes the basis of the new world: the Babylonian Marduk killed Tiamat and used her body to create the world and Odin did the same thing with the giant Ymir. Interestingly, always are primitive and gigantic deities (like the Evas!) That are sacrificed. Curious coincidences, isn't it?

@one-eyed Yes, I remembered an article by a conational of mine where I talk about all the religious references he had found both in EOE and in the Rebuilds.

Regarding the Ymir you ha mentioned I tell you that a Youtuber from my country who mainly deals with Pokemon in the period in which the appearance and lore of Eternatus was not yet known, he made a video in which he said that Eternartus and the Gigantamax phenomenon could have really found inspiration from the legends of the Giants of Norse mythology

I am not only a fan of Pokemon and Evangelion but also of the beautiful Supernatural TV series, if you haven't seen it yet I suggest you start seeing it, it is composed of 15 fucking seasons but the splatter, the various religious characters involved, the humor , the citations to other series and the development of the relationship between the characters are really worth it, believe me.

The most defensive / intimidating position that Asuka can take. She practically didn't even look at him!

When she was on that beach and Shinji confesses to her, Asuka turns and hugs herself: I don't remember seeing Asuka so fragile in my life! That's when I understood: she never forgot, not even something as trivial as the bentos he did for her.

But it was really cool to see 28-year-old Asuka react so Tsundere to Shinji's confession. It's really amazing that he showed her her most vulnerable side, but that was part of the end of her relationship with Shinji in the last movie, so I just say OK an era is really over.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:35 pm

View Original PostTajai wrote:A curious thing I found in the Google Play page for 3.0+1.0;

Most of the original Funimation rebuild cast is present, with the exception of Spike Spencer, him having been replaced by Hannes Maurer, which I assume is the german VA for Shinji in the rebuilds.
Could this be the confirmed cast for the movie or is this just a placeholder?

My understanding is Google Play just pulls from wikipedia and is not a good source of information.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

one-eyed
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby one-eyed » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:43 pm

FXArmaros98 wrote: I am not only a fan of Pokemon and Evangelion but also of the beautiful Supernatural TV series, if you haven't seen it yet I suggest you start seeing it, it is composed of 15 fucking seasons but the splatter, the various religious characters involved, the humor , the citations to other series and the development of the relationship between the characters are really worth it, believe me.

I know and I am also a fan of the series!

FXArmaros98 wrote: But it was really cool to see 28-year-old Asuka react so Tsundere to Shinji's confession. It's really amazing that he showed her her most vulnerable side, but that was part of the end of her relationship with Shinji in the last movie, so I just say OK an era is really over.

True. And I was never very attached to this shipping! Anno hit me right in the heart! I found Shinji mature to accept her choice, even though I think she wasn't entirely sure of everything herself. First love never really dies, life is not always what we want and the "what if" will always live in our head haunting us.

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:32 pm

View Original Postone-eyed wrote:I know and I am also a fan of the series!

Well have you seen all the seasons? But I am still at the tenth because I'm seeing it with the dubbing of my country.

View Original Postone-eyed wrote:True. And I was never very attached to this shipping! Anno hit me right in the heart! I found Shinji mature to accept her choice, even though I think she wasn't entirely sure of everything herself. First love never really dies, life is not always what we want and the "what if" will always live in our head haunting us.

For me it is right that Shinji's story ended even without ending up in relationship with Asuka, now he can be free to find happiness elsewhere without getting too attached to his past.

If some multi-ending spin-off video game will come out in the future, maybe the player can decide to make Shinji develop a more relationship with other characters, for Asuka fans something like this would be a reward of consolation.

Slowpokeking
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Slowpokeking » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:46 pm

But what's wrong with the past? These characters are cool because they have experienced such past, got to know each other and fight to break their own demon and for their future.

Without the past they are not themselves anymore, nor does the relationship have attachment.

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:59 pm

@ Slowpokeking I think you misunderstood what I realy want to meant. By letting go of the past I didn't mean that Shinji should to start giving a damn about Asuka, Misato and the others as if they no longer existed for him and together with Mari starting for looking for new friends. I meant to say that Shinji and Asuka have to learn to move on and not get emotionally attached to one person forever without having more chances of being able to relate to other people

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:00 pm

Ogata in the 3.0+1.0 booklet:

- When Asuka said, "I grew up first," what did you think Shinji was thinking when you played the part?

Megumi Ogata: I can understand Asuka's feelings. I've lived for 14 years.

I've lived my life for 14 years, but if the boy I loved back then was still a junior high school student in appearance and content, and hadn't grown up at all as an adult, I wouldn't love him the same way I used to.

Shinji thinks it's the same, even though he's talking to Asuka.
Last edited by FelipeFritschF on Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slowpokeking
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Slowpokeking » Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:05 pm

View Original PostFXArmaros98 wrote:@ Slowpokeking I think you misunderstood what I realy want to meant. By letting go of the past I didn't mean that Shinji should to start giving a damn about Asuka, Misato and the others as if they no longer existed for him and together with Mari starting for looking for new friends. I meant to say that Shinji and Asuka have to learn to move on and not get emotionally attached to one person forever without having more chances of being able to relate to other people

But this is the problem.

Shinji and Mari had nearly ZERO interaction with each other before, they got no chemistry at all. Shinji had much deeper relationship and bond with others throughout his most difficult time.

The past is beautiful because of his experience with these people. To let him break it to go with Mari you need to build everything up for these two, but there is way too little to let their relationship feel convincing at all.

Xenoblade
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Xenoblade » Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:20 pm

It's hard to deny that Shinji and Mari don't really get a reason to be paired off.

Could have done without the epilogue, really. It was reminiscent of the final Harry Potter book/film.
Don't be.

Slowpokeking
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Slowpokeking » Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:23 pm

Same with Kaworu/Rei scene, how interaction did they have? It's like pairing them simply for their popularity.

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:29 pm

View Original PostSlowpokeking wrote:Shinji and Mari had nearly ZERO interaction with each other before, they got no chemistry at all.

Yes I know what you mean, I myself say that Shinji and Mari should have spent a lot more time together in the previous films.

View Original PostSlowpokeking wrote:Shinji had much deeper relationship and bond with others throughout his most difficult time.

OK but man remember that Shinji has been away from the world for 14 very long damn years! and what did he find when he woke up? A welcome suitable for those who saved the world from different Angels? No, people who look at him with coolness and Misato who seems to want to blow his head off if he pilots the Evangelions again without him even knowing why, and then the discovery that he himself almost destroyed the world and confirms that his father is a mad scientist genocidal.Yes OK the fact that Toji and Kensuke are kind to him was what could have helped him find the strength to be able to redeem himself and he make peace with Asuka and Misato, but for me the number of negative interactions he had is slightly higher than the moments he had to forge strong bonds.

View Original PostSlowpokeking wrote:The past is beautiful because of his experience with these people. To let him break it to go with Mari you need to build everything up for these two, but there is way too little to let their relationship feel convincing at all.

Unfortunately we don't know if other characters besides Mari and Shinji remember what happened in 3.0 + 1.0, the fact that Kaworu, Rei and Asuka were on the other side of the station without interacting with Shinji from my personal point of view means that maybe even Misato, Kaji, Gendo and Yui are reborn in the new world but none of them remember what happened, so if Shinji and Mari are the only ones who remember it means that Shinji probably couldn't relate to his old friends because his bond with them was canceled and therefore Shinji had to start a new life with Mari from scratch. I know this is really REALLY AWFUL, but I don't think we'll ever really know what's left of the relationship with Shinji and the others after the new world is created.

I am afraid that even this ending like that of EOE may have been made to leave it open for interpretation, I sincerely hope that Shinji may have kept his old friendships in the new one but of course we will no ever know the true answer. So I would like that when this film finally gets an English dub they can several fan fiction sequels will be made. After reading and becoming fond of Eva 303 I realized that reading the journey in the imagination of other people is not so bad.
Last edited by FXArmaros98 on Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:31 pm

View Original PostSlowpokeking wrote:Same with Kaworu/Rei scene, how interaction did they have? It's like pairing them simply for their popularity.

See, Adam and Lilith hooking up makes sense to me, especially if it's the same Adam and Lilith in every universe.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Slowpokeking
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Slowpokeking » Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:41 pm

View Original PostFXArmaros98 wrote:OK but man remember that Shinji has been away from the world for 14 very long damn years! and what did he find when he woke up? A welcome suitable for those who saved the world from different Angels? No, people who look at him with coolness and Misato who seems to want to blow his head off if he pilots the Evangelions again without him even knowing why, and then the discovery that he himself almost destroyed the world and confirms that his father is a mad scientist genocidal.Yes OK the fact that Toji and Kensuke are kind to him was what could have helped him find the strength to be able to redeem himself and he make peace with Asuka and Misato, but for me the number of negative interactions he had is slightly higher than the moments he had to forge strong bonds.

That plot was just utterly stupid while later tried to fill up and a huge mistreatment to Misato's character.

But still in this one, they worked together to resolve the problem. Even a gay relationship with Kensuke makes more sense than Mari because they indeed were very good friends and understood each other.

Even if we take a step back, ok Shinji was too hurt to be with any of these ppl, it doesn't mean you have to insert someone to pair with him to give a "good ending" without proper buildup.

Unfortunately we don't know if other characters besides Mari and Shinji remember what happened in 3.0 + 1.0, the fact that Kaworu, Rei and Asuka were on the other side of the station without interacting with Shinji from my personal point of view means that maybe even Misato, Kaji, Gendo and Yui are reborn in the new world but none of them remember what happened, so if Shinji and Mari are the only ones who remember it means that Shinji probably couldn't relate to his old friends because his bond with them was canceled and therefore Shinji had to start a new life with Mari from scratch. I know this is really REALLY AWFUL, but I don't think we'll ever really know what's left of the relationship with Shinji and the others after the new world is created.

They can't make such excuse, they are making a movie, they need to show the audience all the relationship and changes if they want to develop any(which is why Q's 14 years past was a bad idea). Toji's marriage makes sense because the relationship was shown before in the TV series.

To the audience, these characters are still them, they obviously didn't want to be cruel to show that "we all forgot those memories". And even if that's true, Shinji and Mari and no convincing buildup, why should they be together as a couple at all? It's still far from enough.

If they can't build convincing interaction, don't pair anyone, just leave freedom for ppl to imagine. This franchise was known for its good characterization without afraid to break them up. So it's not a good idea to do such pairing.

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:46 pm

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:See, Adam and Lilith hooking up makes sense to me, especially if it's the same Adam and Lilith in every universe.

ChaddyManPrime the thing you just wrote makes me laugh because from my personal point of view Anno should have paired Kaworu and Rei already in the NGE ending, I mean it was really necessary that to conclude the original TV series both characters had to die? In one of the PS2 game endings if I remember correctly Kaworu took the Angels and Evangelions with him and went to live on another planet, so why me Kaworu and Rei in the Anime couldn't just leave together? Ok I understand that what I'm writing is simply my delusional idea for what the NGE ending could be but I am convinced that some people would not have completely despised this scenario if it really happened.
Last edited by FXArmaros98 on Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Slowpokeking
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Slowpokeking » Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:49 pm

Also another problem with Mari is that she is a brand new character, so everything has to be built up from ground.

Many of the audience put NGE's view into Rebuild, so even if there was not enough relationship development in Rebuild, as long as there was in NGE it would not be odd to ppl.

And the manga showed that she was around the same age as Yui, even had some attachment to her, that just felt quite weird.

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:59 pm

View Original PostSlowpokeking wrote: This franchise was known for its good characterization without afraid to break them up. So it's not a good idea to do such pairing.

Unfortunately, nothing can exist without flaws, even NGE was criticized for the ambiguity of Shinji's relationship with Kaworu and Misato. Anno is truly a huge genius but just like all humans he can be wrong, Evangelion is a series that talks a lot about human relationships so I doubt that the ships as terrible as they may seem can simply be used in fan service spin-offs. I understand that Shinji X Mari for some people may seem like something capable of ruining the entire franchise and the legacy of the anime but now the game is done. We can continue to discuss this indefinitely but certainly the ending will not change thanks to us.

Slowpokeking
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Slowpokeking » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:05 pm

View Original PostFXArmaros98 wrote:
Unfortunately, nothing can exist without flaws, even NGE was criticized for the ambiguity of Shinji's relationship with Kaworu and Misato. Anno is truly a huge genius but just like all humans he can be wrong, Evangelion is a series that talks a lot about human relationships so I doubt that the ships as terrible as they may seem can simply be used in fan service spin-offs. I understand that Shinji X Mari for some people may seem like something capable of ruining the entire franchise and the legacy of the anime but now the game is done. We can continue to discuss this indefinitely but certainly the ending will not change thanks to us.

Wut? Shinji's relationship with Misato was very well written, especially how Mistao develops through her interaction with Shinji.

Kaworu was also understandable.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”