Different Recordings of Komm, Susser Tod?

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Rocko52
Embryo

Different Recordings of Komm, Susser Tod?

•      
  •      

Postby Rocko52 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:17 pm

Hey all. I've got a weird little question:

So I own the End of Evangelion CD from 1997. I was listening to it recently and realized it sounded somewhat different. The track ended just a moment after the final piano note. I looked on youtube, and an upload of the version to be on the recent "Evangelion Finally" album titled "KOMM, SUSSER TOD (M-10 Director's Edit Version)" also finished just right that. A total of 7:46 length, tho no more sound emits after 7:39. That's exactly how it is on my CD, which also lists "Director's Edit Version". Though I haven't listened to it, the S^2 Works CD Collection also lists a "Director's Edit Version."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQiHzcdUPAU&ab_channel=Arianne-Topic

So here's my trouble, this isn't how I remember the song going. And in fact, I was able to find the version I do remember also on youtube. I only recently got the physical CD, but online for years have listened to a version that sounds like this. The recording is at least 10 more seconds long, if not more. This version is 7:56. The instruments kind of break down, and give way to incoherent and strange shouts and cheering. People in the ensemble make strange noises and start to call out phrases. It's glorious. I'm not sure if there are any other differences, probably, but this sticks out so much to me because I am SO used to hearing the way the song kind of disintegrates and splinters. Not a piano note cleanly finishing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qzcgLdvUKg&ab_channel=hulkenstein_

Is this a remix or a different version, with that stuff cut out in the "Director's Edit"? I am very confused haha.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: Different Recordings of Komm, Susser Tod?

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:51 am

S² Works disc 6:

track 16 - M-10, Komm susser Tod (single version) 7:57
track 17 - M-10, Komm susser Tod (director's version) 7:47

Track 16 is the one you speak of.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Rocko52
Embryo

Re: Different Recordings of Komm, Susser Tod?

•      
  •      

Postby Rocko52 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:53 am

Thank you very much!!

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”