Forum Wackiness

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: Forum Wackiness

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:13 am

The Wiki has been fixed.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

imprimatur13
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby imprimatur13 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:33 am

Ah, thanks! Only thing is, for whatever reason, the Main Page itself is still broken. However, I can go directly to, say, the article on Rei from a google search without any problems.
My first fanfic: Neon Genesis Craig-Insertion
Kyoko's Melons: Currently being completely rewritten, so... if anyone liked it so far, great. I did too. But... not enough. ;)

EvaGeeks Discord server: https://discord.gg/MgA8Ev7

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:53 am

The main page and news is provided by different software - Wordpress rather than Mediawiki - so Ornette needs to look at that separately. You can get straight to the wiki's start page from the forum menu, remember.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:18 am

Now fixed also - you may need to refresh, as I did.

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:02 pm

View Original Postrobersora wrote:^
No... It's weird, if I chose to open Members in a separate tab, it works perfectly fine. If I stay in my tab, it goes right back to Board index.

Confirmed on the current version of Chrome. Middle-clicking (or right-click, open in new tab) any link in the top banner works as it should, left-clicking opens the link in a new tab and redirects the current one to the board index.

Also, I think I found the cause. The links are inside the <div> that is the white box, which is inside another <div> that is the site logo banner and has an inline Javascript onClick event to go to index.php. I fired up Chrome's Inspect function and breakpointed mouse click events, then clicked a link in the box. Chrome immediately stated that the banner <div>'s onClick event was fired, even though I didn't click on it but on a child element. I did some research on Stackoverflow and it seems that clicking in a child container propagates the event and fires the parent container's onClick regardless of whether the child has its own onClick or not unless the child's onClick explicitly calls stopPropagation().

I don't want to come across as a know-it-all (I'm a software dev but my area of expertise is C# webservices, not Javascript) but I hope this helps.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:20 pm

Thanks for that; I'll look into it. It's a clear change of behaviour in all browsers, and I think fairly recent; I assure you it would have been noticed when I added the wider area click target in response to a user request - I investigated the behaviour of overlapping click areas at that time.

Note that it only happens on some links (not the ones I use every day), which is presumably why I didn't take it seriously before; also that if you take those same links from the "Quick Links" dropdown, it then doesn't happen.

Anyway, as some links behave OK, it shouldn't be too hard for me to fix.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:28 pm

Hey guys, just so you know, the SSL on the wiki expired. It's made editing this evening a right pain.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:14 pm

It should have been renewed on Saturday, is this still happening?

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:31 pm

^ No, it's all set. It resolved itself by the 25th when I logged back into the wiki
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu May 03, 2018 4:14 pm

Weird issue with this post. The two posts of mine that I self-quoted are the only ones that link back to the original threads, but for some reason the link on the first Reichu quote decided to attach itself to the first DarkBluePhoenix quote instead. I have no idea why this would happen. Pretty damned strange.

Also, is it possible to fix the "add quotes to post from Topic Review" feature so that it includes the post number hashtag in the code? Right now all it does is furnish the author.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sat May 12, 2018 3:14 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Weird issue with this post. The two posts of mine that I self-quoted are the only ones that link back to the original threads, but for some reason the link on the first Reichu quote decided to attach itself to the first DarkBluePhoenix quote instead. I have no idea why this would happen. Pretty damned strange.

As long as this issue is some rare event, I can already tell that the effort it would take me to figure out the cause and fix it simply would not be worth it (at least in my current circumstances), considering we aren't going to be sticking with this version of the software forever and we're already overdue for a multi-step update.

Also, is it possible to fix the "add quotes to post from Topic Review" feature so that it includes the post number hashtag in the code? Right now all it does is furnish the author.

Yes. As best I remember, when I wrote the extension that performs that service elsewhere, I didn't even realize that feature (adding quotes from topic review) existed. But right now my income is $0 per month (and has been for the past 4 months) so I have to put all my coding time and energy into activities that promise to increase that number.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:01 pm

Main page has been down for the past couple of days. It might be related to claims that the wiki is down is well, but I'm no expert.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:08 pm

It is, if I recall correctly, the forum is on a different server than the rest of the site.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:10 pm

I see. Thanks for replying so damn fast.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:37 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:It is, if I recall correctly, the forum is on a different server than the rest of the site.

Yes -- mine. Everything else is still on Ornette's, so that means Ornette's server is down.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:40 pm

DNS and Email server got moved today (we moved to a new apartment) so there may be some sporadic outages. If you're not able to connect, your ISP may still have the old IP cached.

But I guess if you're reading this, you were able to connect.

imprimatur13
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby imprimatur13 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:47 pm

Hi; seems the wiki's security certificate is out of date or some such? Says it's not secure when I try to access it.
My first fanfic: Neon Genesis Craig-Insertion
Kyoko's Melons: Currently being completely rewritten, so... if anyone liked it so far, great. I did too. But... not enough. ;)

EvaGeeks Discord server: https://discord.gg/MgA8Ev7

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:17 am

This has been noted and is being checked out (that cert is in Ornette's hands, not mine).

EDIT: Ornette has now fixed the certificates concerned.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:15 pm

The forum database has crashed twice in the past 24 hours. I am not the person who maintains it (who has not yet responded to the message I've sent him), but I have just enough access to restart it. However, as it crashed again after only a few hours, I cannot be confident it will stay up for long. If it has crashed again when I check tomorrow, I'll try to find a log that gives me more information on why, and hope that the reason is something I can resolve...

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:44 pm

The forum is less reliable than Shinji in the wrong mood lately

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”