Forum Wackiness

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Re: Forum Wackiness

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:16 pm

View Original Postcyharding wrote:I recently signed up for me to be notified by e-mail when I receive a message. I did get a message, but there was no corresponding e-mail. I double checked my user control panel, which has the correct mark and I checked through the spam section of my e-mail, and there was nothing. What's going on?

Could be a side-effect of the hardware failure that happened on the machine running my Linode back on September 15. We're investigating now.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:31 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Could be a side-effect of the hardware failure that happened on the machine running my Linode back on September 15. We're investigating now.

Just got my first e-mail from the notification system, so whatever you guys have been doing seems to have worked.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:53 pm

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:Just got my first e-mail from the notification system, so whatever you guys have been doing seems to have worked.

YYYESSS.

Credit goes to Paul for the solution.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:29 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:YYYESSS.

Must have been one hell of a problem to get a reaction like that
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:30 pm

I hope we’ve fixed it; I discovered that under some (unidentified) circumstances PHP mail would fail when talking IPv6. We have forced IPv4 now, but I’ll want more confirmation before I’m totally convinced that that’s the only issue.

We are working towards a major update of PHP, in which I would expect this not to remain a problem, but the present solution (specifying the mail server by IP address rather than domain name, which returns both addresses) is not in any way a compromise.

Why PHP changed its behaviour last month remains a mystery, though, but I feel it could be related to the hardware failure - it was the same day I think.
Last edited by pwhodges on Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:38 pm

Sounds more like a very duct tape and paperclip workaround, and I thank you for it.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:45 pm

Too much software has been slow to support IPv6 properly. But then, it was only first specified as little as twenty years ago!

I reported IPv6 problems on some Tumblr servers for over a year before they fixed them.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:56 pm

Well, how long did it take for computers to be updated to deal with the Y2K problem? They must have known about that for the same amount of time

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:28 pm

In 1978 I wrote the clock routines for my own operating system, and I took account of y2k even then. Actually, plenty of people did; not all programmers are idiots. But equally, given the pace of change, not all were arrogant enough to think their code would last over twenty years - that's what caught people out, the fact that old code just kept running because the effort went into additional systems rather than continuing to replace the existing ones

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:58 pm

Chrome on my android phone acts like my ram is full (extremely unresponsive, the keyboard gets terminated, app manager very slow) everytime I try to write a post on the forum. It started a few days ago and it only happens with this forum, but maybe it's my phone.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:03 pm

It's not just your phone. When I click "Post Reply" the phone reloads the page before I can click it again and post. Sometimes it hangs up too when trying to post, which is why I avoid using my phone to reply on the site. I always assumed it phone too.

I don't have he problem with keyboard however, I have a Blackberry PRIV (runs on Android), which has its own keyboard.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:17 pm

There’s been no recent change to the software on the server in that time-scale. I’ll check on my Android device shortly.

Kamon-san
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Kamon-san » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:29 am

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:Just got my first e-mail from the notification system, so whatever you guys have been doing seems to have worked.

I'm so glad that issue was fixed! =) I had just started hanging out on the forum again and wanted to update my email address, and I couldn't log on since.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:00 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:There’s been no recent change to the software on the server in that time-scale. I’ll check on my Android device shortly.

My Android device shows no difference, except that Chrome is a bit slower using https. This might be related to the fact that the certificate is self-signed, which I expect to change in the next week or so.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:01 pm

Further to this, the forum is now using a proper certificate for https connections. You should now see a green padlock on the main pages if you are using an https connection. Note that you will still see a warning on the image threads and other odd threads that have embedded images, because most of these have been (and still are) added using http rather than https.

If you do not see a green padlock (or equivalent) then your browser has cached the old certificate. It should sort itself out in a while, but some systems are not as fast as others. If necessary you could try deleting the old certificate from the certificate store.

In a while, the forum will be set to switch to https automatically if you connect using http.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:30 am

Hey I put my most recent post on the related discussion forum by accident. Can a mod move it to the anime section pleasE?

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:31 am

Been using win7 so far, bought a new laptop with win10 earlier this week. Fresh install of Chrome doesn't show the site properly.

Namely, all the non-avatar images are missing: no icons, no background images, not even the banner at the top is shown. I looked into the pages' HTML code, delved into the CSS that loads these images and copypasted the image paths into Chrome's address bar and they appear properly. They just aren't loaded into the site itself.

Also, not only the site insists on appending session IDs to every link and URL even though Chrome says the site hasn't stored any cookies on my computer and thus shouldn't be able to identify me, logging in does not persist between tabs even with "remember me" ticked. That is, I open one tab, log in. Then I open another tab, it says I'm not logged in and throws up the login interface if I try to do something login-only, while the first tab still says I'm logged in.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:11 am

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:Been using win7 so far, bought a new laptop with win10 earlier this week. Fresh install of Chrome doesn't show the site properly.

Namely, all the non-avatar images are missing: no icons, no background images, not even the banner at the top is shown. I looked into the pages' HTML code, delved into the CSS that loads these images and copypasted the image paths into Chrome's address bar and they appear properly. They just aren't loaded into the site itself.

Paul's the one who handles styles, so this is me letting you know I'm not ignoring this, rather it's outside my immediate duty.

Also, not only the site insists on appending session IDs to every link and URL even though Chrome says the site hasn't stored any cookies on my computer and thus shouldn't be able to identify me, logging in does not persist between tabs even with "remember me" ticked. That is, I open one tab, log in. Then I open another tab, it says I'm not logged in and throws up the login interface if I try to do something login-only, while the first tab still says I'm logged in.

The session ID is how the site makes your login persist from page to page without using cookies. It's appending session IDs not "even though" it's not storing any cookies on your computer, it's appending session IDs because it's not storing any cookies on your computer. If you're opening new tabs by some means other than right-click --> "open link in new tab" and therefore not getting the session ID copied to the address in the new tab, I'm not surprised it's losing your login -- but if you are doing it that way, then I am.
System Administrator

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:06 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:The session ID is how the site makes your login persist from page to page without using cookies. It's appending session IDs not "even though" it's not storing any cookies on your computer, it's appending session IDs because it's not storing any cookies on your computer. If you're opening new tabs by some means other than right-click --> "open link in new tab" and therefore not getting the session ID copied to the address in the new tab, I'm not surprised it's losing your login -- but if you are doing it that way, then I am.

If the session ID is used to preserve logins, why do I get one on my new laptop even without being logged in and not on my old one even while logged in?
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:09 pm

Update: fter I wrote my above post and pressed Submit, the site logged me out. Also, every time I opened the thread afterwards, my login state was lost, thus I'm forced to doublepost because I can't get to the edit post button.

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”