Rebuild's Purpose and Prediction for 3.0+1.0 Plot

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Tabby-chan
Adam

Rebuild's Purpose and Prediction for 3.0+1.0 Plot

•      
  •      

Postby Tabby-chan » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:28 pm

So I just posted this to Facebook to get whatever opinions I'd get there, and I thought I'd put it up here, where the readers may be more inclined to respond and give their thoughts. Hideaki Anno​-sama recently joked that 3.0+1.0 might happen four or even six years down the road.

However, what if this was news about the plot, not the release of the film?

Think about the impending questions--fourteen years passed between the events of 2.0 and 3.0. Nearly all specific details of what happened in between are up to fan speculation. What if :Final will take place during this time?

I'm very sure that Evangelion: Final​ will not pick up where 3.0 left off, or at least not in the opening sequence. The necessity of 3.0 was to establish a new story that would keep the plot going--one that would keep both old and new fans on track. After all, what really changed between the films? The only missing characters are Kaji and the side cast. The only real new character is Sakura, whom I'm still not sure is even important yet. If we jumped into it and took Shinji out of the story, as we discovered he was between 2.0 and 3.0, both kinds of fans might be confused or put off. An Evangelion without Shinji, after all, is an Evangelion without the central character. The fourth film will likely see less Shinji and more of the other characters, and then bring Shinji back for a more direct role, similar to EoTV.

How do I know this? On what basis do I make these claims?

Think about what Rebuild is about. Its purpose can't be itself. Rebuild is a story about a Shinji that finds himself having hope and losing it. Each time he loses it, things get worse. 3.0 left us with the impression that Shinji might never have hope again, calling back to the theme at the beginning of the film, "you'll never do anything again", said by Misato of all people, a character seen almost as an adoptive mother to Shinji in the first two films. Carrying the same attitude but having more screen time is Asuka, who was almost like a sister to Shinji in 2.0, yet is just as cold to him in the next film. Rei, with whom Shinji was starting to bond in 2.0, has been reborn (or "reset", rather) and has no idea who he even is. All of these things are consequences of Shinji's initiation of Third Impact, an event that, in NGE, was supposed to end mankind. We know as fans of NGE that if anyone were to survive Third Impact, their unending hatred would be directed at the one who caused it, Shinji. You might say that the final line in EoE was a hint at 3.0's theme.

3.0 ended with a Shinji that seems to have no ambition whatsoever. Emotionally, spiritually and physically drained, he can't even stand up on his own. It's at the end of the film that we see Asuka's old side come out a little, and also the first time she and the new Rei meet. For the first time in the film, the three of them are back together. They walk off into the red desert, "to where the Lilim are".

It's obvious in 3.0 that the "Lilim" (a term used by Kaworu to refer to mankind, distinguishing himself apart from them, and then used by Asuka in this sequence) are somewhere they can go to. In other words, they're walking now, which is curious, because it reminds me a lot about the episode of NGE where the three of them had to work together without the EVAs when Matarael attacked. They're traveling on their own feet for the first time. Unit-13 is shut down. Unit-01 is being used as a battery. Unit-Mark.09 was destroyed in the battle. Unit-02' was left too damaged for use. You almost begin to feel sorry for these giants that, when Rebuild started, seemed inhuman and indestructible. Now, they're very animalistic and very much alive. 3.0 left us with EVAs that you could feel for. But this aside, Shinji, Asuka and Rei are traveling on their own feet. This implies for the first time in the entirety of Evangelion that they can do something without the EVAs, and that the people who seemed completely absent in 3.0 exist in a physical place. It took the EVAs to open the Door of Guf, but it seems that humanity exists in a real place now. Be it a graveyard or hidden away, Third Impact didn't destroy their bodies, unless Asuka's taking the three of them to the ocean, where the point will be made.

Whether :Final answers our questions about what happened to Kaji and the gang or not, it will almost undoubtedly show us WHERE humanity is.

Asuka also implies that someone will be coming to pick them up. I see this playing out this way--Asuka will show Shinji the graveyard for humanity, be it the ocean or a literal graveyard. Coming to terms with what he's done, Shinji will ponder this to himself. Kaworu will speak to him like Rei spoke to him before her physical appearance in 3.0. As they're being picked up by Wille, Shinji will escape and fight his own way out. A common motif in Evangelion is Shinji's clenched hand. I predict that he'll stand up for himself for the first time without the EVAs and fight his own way out of Wille, wanting to be free, even if it means he'll have to live with the consequences of his actions. At least he won't have to die for them. This will show that at a certain point, Shinji will do something he's never done in the entire Evangelion franchise--stand up for himself without the EVA.

What would happen from here, I don't know. I'd like to see Shinji and Gendou bond for real, and for Kaworu to return as he said he would, and also for a bit of background as to the events between 2.0 and 3.0.

Tell me, people. What do you guys think? How likely is this?

ccc-p.bandcamp.com
soundcloud.com/ccc-p
"When the going gets rough, the fighters fight harder." -KSL

"Perpetual change is stasis." -KSL

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:54 pm

^I doubt FINAL will happen as long as 6 years in the future, although it would explain how Neo-Nerv produced so many MP Evas (I'm assuming here that the 3.0 preview for FINAL depicts events that will appear in the film, although it could be completely off the mark).

I would like to see Shinji stand up for himself but I highly doubt he could fight his way past all the Wille goons and their guns by himself in his current speechless near-helpless state. Even if he did fight his way out then he'd probably die of thirst in the desert. At the end of 3.0 Shinji is pretty much dependent on Asuka and Rei Q to survive, so without a long timeskip (and their transport probably won't take years to arrive) I think he will be in the same state as the end of 3.0 and will improve over the course of the film. This will give time for the film to focus on the past and the other characters. There might even be a flashback story segment from Asuka and Misato (similar to the different perspectives of the past from Episode 21).

Then again, IIRC you did see Eva 08+02 coming so I am forced to view all your statements in an oracular light.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Tabby-chan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Tabby-chan » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:06 pm

I'd actually written a more complete version of this prediction before, which I'll post separately, in which that happens. In regards to Unit-08+02, I personally believe Kaworu and Mari might pilot it, assuming it's double-entry. An inspection of the back view would indicate as much, as Unit-13's back has entry plug ports on the shoulders, while single-pilot EVAs have only one in the spine.

You make a good point, though. Shinji would have to go through a 25-26-like mindfuck before he could come to terms with his actions. That would have to happen later in the film, so unless Shinji can suddenly make an A.T. Field (given to him by Kaworu at some point in 3.0?) to use against Wille, such an event couldn't happen in the beginning unless something even better than non-pussy Shinji takes place after. Like, say, the battle for the Black Moon.

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:08 pm

^^ I think he means the release of 3.0+1.0 could happen up to 6 years after 3.0, which as of now we know it's atleast 4 because Anno will start working on it after the 2016 Godzilla movie. I really hope the 4th movie doesn't take another 6 year time gap. Also they have had time to make those MPEs to, who knows how long Gendo and Fuyu have been at it?

I do agree with Tabby-chan's statement about Shinji walking on his own. While he is dependent on Asuka and Rei until they get to the Wunder. Then maybe if he is lucky enough to get past Wille soldiers, and hell Asuka may be the most dangerous one. I really really like the concept of Shinji standing without Wille or the Eva, that may play into the 4th movie I don't know.

I also really like how you said Asuka would take him to a mass grave of Impact victims. Maybe it would be the same one from 2.0 but filled even more.

As for what I think with plot... I really don't know.

Edit - DOESN'T take 6 year time gap! Oh god the context is ruined.
Fixed in my paragraph.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:12 pm

View Original PostTabby-chan wrote:I'd actually written a more complete version of this prediction before, which I'll post separately, in which that happens. In regards to Unit-08+02, I personally believe Kaworu and Mari might pilot it, assuming it's double-entry. An inspection of the back view would indicate as much, as Unit-13's back has entry plug ports on the shoulders, while single-pilot EVAs have only one in the spine.

I did take a quick peek to check, so I can say it's not double-entry from what can be seen in the preview:

SPOILER: Show

There's one big port over the spine, none of the shoulders. I have pointed out before that it seems that 08+02 is nothing more than a repainted Eva-08 with the surviving bits of 02's head stuck on, which would also imply that it's either Mari or Asuka piloting that thing solo. I favour the idea that it's Mari, since it's originally her Eva, as well as the possibility of Asuka and Shinji receiving more development during or after the battle. The whole preview is staged in a manner similar to Asuka's last stand from EoE.
Last edited by Shinoyami65 on Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

And I'm nothing like you

Tabby-chan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Tabby-chan » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:13 pm

Thanks, friend. :) There's no telling how many MP-EVAs have been built already. We assume because Unit-13 and Unit-Mark.09 are the only Nerv EVAs in 3.0 that Nerv was only able to build two in 14 years without its staff that now exist as Wille (or that Wille destroyed the rest?). Nerv has a habit of breaking the rules, however, and I wouldn't be surprised if they'd built the MP-EVAs before 3.0 was over. It IS 14 years, after all. Why does the entirety of Wille exist on an airship and on aircraft carriers? It could be that they need to stay on the move, as you never know what might come out of the ground,
SPOILER: Show
like, say, an MP-EVA

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:15 pm

^True. We do see a lot of pallet rifles and armor bits during 3.0 which implies that Neo-Nerv is at the very least prepared to supply the army of Evas shown in the preview. It is very likely that they were already constructed in 3.0, in the same way that the original MP Evas were already being built as the TV series was taking place.

And I'm nothing like you

Tabby-chan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Tabby-chan » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:15 pm

There's one big port over the spine, none of the shoulders. I have pointed out before that it seems that 08+02 is nothing more than a repainted Eva-08 with the surviving bits of 02's head stuck on, which would also imply that it's either Mari or Asuka piloting that thing solo. I favour the idea that it's Mari, since it's originally her Eva, as well as the possibility of Asuka and Shinji receiving more development during or after the battle. The whole preview is staged in a manner similar to Asuka's last stand from EoE.

You may be right. Not only that, but Wille has a thing for recycling parts. As I think about it, it becomes less realistic that Wille would be ABLE to build a double-entry EVA. Hmm, good point.[/quote]

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:24 pm

Actually the one thing I want to see happen in 3.0+1.0 is that Eva-01 burst out of the Wunder with the Wings of Light like how it does that end EOE. Dispite the fact that 3.0 takes a very alternate approach to Eva there are still some very similar plot points. Like how Kaworu dying causing Shinji to go into a near-unresponsive or in this case unresponsive state. It would go against standing alone without Eva but personally I would like to see it, not saying I am expecting it.

With 08+02, for all we know the context of the said to come final battle can be changed, this movie is coming in 2016 so we really shouldn't expect anything. But I could imagine that they change that Eva to have Mari and Asuka in it. Allthough the point about Wille being an organization jury rigged together does ground that.

I really do wonder if Shinji will become responsive durning the movie.

FunFact- Shinji actually had lines durning that part of 3.0, but his VA was so distraught by the script she couldn't come to say them. (Old news to a bunch of you I know).
Imagine how diffrent our predictions could be if Shinji had said something at the end of the film. Most people may not be jumping to the conclusion he is in an EOE like state- such as me.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Tabby-chan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Tabby-chan » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:30 pm

View Original PostSicarius VI wrote:Actually the one thing I want to see happen in 3.0+1.0 is that Eva-01 burst out of the Wunder with the Wings of Light like how it does that end EOE. Dispite the fact that 3.0 takes a very alternate approach to Eva there are still some very similar plot points. Like how Kaworu dying causing Shinji to go into a near-unresponsive or in this case unresponsive state. It would go against standing alone without Eva but personally I would like to see it, not saying I am expecting it.

With 08+02, for all we know the context of the said to come final battle can be changed, this movie is coming in 2016 so we really shouldn't expect anything. But I could imagine that they change that Eva to have Mari and Asuka in it. Allthough the point about Wille being an organization jury rigged together does ground that.

I really do wonder if Shinji will become responsive durning the movie.

FunFact- Shinji actually had lines durning that part of 3.0, but his VA was so distraught by the script she couldn't come to say them. (Old news to a bunch of you I know).
Imagine how diffrent our predictions could be if Shinji had said something at the end of the film. Most people may not be jumping to the conclusion he is in an EOE like state- such as me.

Well shit, friend, what were the lines?

The part about Unit-01 coming back to life was in my own plot prediction as well. :D

I think he'd have to become responsive, so as not to lose the audience. However, that has me wondering whether or not he'll literally "have" to grow up in the film as well. In the series, Shinji had to become stronger on his own to face personal issues. I wonder if he'll hit a similar wall in :Final. In Episodes 25 and 26, Shinji goes through a psychological dilemma and comes out of it proud of himself despite the various consequences of his actions. I wonder if this will happen in :Final as well, with him coming back to reality to live out that resolution, and, hence, the resolution of Rebuild.

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:52 pm

I would have posted the lines if I knew what they were. I guess Anno just had to cut it out of the script. Once the 3.0 Complete Record Collection comes out we should know.

Also I do think Shinji should come out of his shell even if it takes the entire film. But again the gap between the 2 movies is look at around 4 years and maybe more if we somehow get a 2017 release. Within a 4-5 year gap between the movies, entire scripts can get chucked out the window making it kinda unpredictable from what the third movie foreshadowed. Also Anno did hit his depression again, and I think got out of it again(?) but I could feel some depressive elements from 3.0 start to come in. Who knows that could very well effect Shinji's entire role in 3.0+1.0.

Tabby-chan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Tabby-chan » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:02 pm

I think he mentioned that Ghibli's head director (I forget his name and am too lazy to look it up) had helped him get through his depression, but whether that means he was through it by the time he announced the Godzilla (Gojira?) project or not, I can't say.

It's also important that we remember what Shinji's purpose in Rebuild is. In NGE, Shinji was a character who had many psychological issues that went unresolved until the end of the series, when things came to a head (literally) and he had to deal with them directly. In Rebuild, however, Shinji is more of the leading character, which all our attention is centered on, and his personal place in the series is more of one that goes with the flow and tends to face negative consequences whenever he acts independently. For Shinji to act on his own, he'd have to first accept that he can do so in ways that don't always have negative consequences. I think the fear of failing again might actually inhibit his growth in :Final, especially given the revelation of the fate of mankind, if everyone really did die in Third Impact.

How will the brilliant mind of Anno-sama get Shinji through this? I'm kind of scared that he won't. It's not that I don't have faith in Anno--I just can't help but wonder if Shinji will make it out alive in this ordeal.

(Now, mind you, in my own plot theory (I should really post this sooner rather than later), the Shinji we met in 3.0 is actually BM-03, an Angel, while the real Shinji has been in Unit-01 with Rei this whole time. It's possible that "Shinji" might still die, with the real Shinji returning to the story. In this plot theory, however, we literally had Asuka, Rei and Shinji Q (baby, I love you, Shinji Q! Dadadadadadadada!) walk to the beach, arriving at night, where they came across Shinji and Asuka at the end of EoE, so.)

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:21 pm

Another six year skip? While it would give Shinji time to recover, I don't really think it'll happen.

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:38 pm

@ Tabby-Chan

Have you been reading my theories?
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:40 pm

@Ray - Yea I agree with that. I still think it was suppose to be that Anno jokes that Shin might take 4-6 years to release after 3.0, which is true as it will take atleast 4 now with the way things are going.

@Tabby-chan- Well there is one way to confirm sequel theory. Also you aren't the first person to think NGE Shinji will meet Rebuild Shinji.

Tabby-chan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Tabby-chan » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:40 pm

I've been around the Forums a few times and may have run across them. Link me to them?

>Sicarius VI, I'm curious to see other takes on what might happen. Links to such theories would be much appreciated. :D

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:03 pm

[url]http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/6022/A-remake-or-a-sequel/800/[/url]
[url]http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/6022/A-remake-or-a-sequel/780/?[/url]
[url]http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/6022/A-remake-or-a-sequel/700/?[/url]
[url]http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/6022/A-remake-or-a-sequel/680/?[/url]
[url]http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/6022/A-remake-or-a-sequel/660/?[/url]
[url]http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/6022/A-remake-or-a-sequel/620/?[/url]
[url]http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/6022/A-remake-or-a-sequel/600/?[/url]
[url]http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/6022/A-remake-or-a-sequel/580/?[/url]
[url]http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/13488/Thoughts-about-Mari/340/?[/url]

I have more but I can't remember which threads they were on.

Tabby-chan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Tabby-chan » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:15 pm

It was on this one, I think: http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/6022/A-remake-or-a-sequel/780/?

Damn, the people on the Forums really CAN be over-sensitive (or insensitive, in some cases).

@ChaddyManPrime, my own theories are gathered from my own opinions and from various things I've picked up here and there over time. It's not unlikely that I read one of your posts somewhere and read something I thought might be valid.

Mind you, dear readers, that nothing here is "valid" because none of it is official. There are no right or wrongs here. There are also no wrong or rights here.

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:34 pm

^
I was just happy that someone had the same ideas as I do.

The Cruel
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby The Cruel » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:16 am

@Tabby-chan your ideas for FINAL are fun. Shinji escaping from captivity by WILLE and going a route similar like Oldboy (which is also a philosophical film) would be something while step by step coming to terms and making his last stand.

And some quotes from Oldboy do relate very well with Evangelion and the themes of 3.0 and possibly Final:

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

"Even though I'm no more than a monster - don't I, too, have the right to live?"

"If they had told me it was going to be fifteen years, would it have been easier to endure?"

"Your gravest mistake wasn't failing to find the answer. You can't find the right answer if you ask the wrong questions."

"You need not worry about the future, Imagine nothing."

"And now... now, what joy will I have left to live for?"

"Revenge is good for your health, but pain will find you again."

"I thought I'd lived a simple life. But I've sinned too much."
I carry out things right to the end. No. Matter. What.

Avatar: I declare myself as WILLEs deserved enemy and Asukas and Shinjis punisher

You can (not) hope

„Unfortunately, those other fools and idiots gave you the most worthless feeling. And that feeling is hope. The unicorn alive shitting a magic rainbow is but an illusion.“
-Doom Head, Rob Zombie's 31

„If you were a better person, you wouldn't be here.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two conflicting ideas simultaneously.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„It takes a strong man to deny what's in front of him. And if the truth is undeniable, you create your own.“
-Colonel John Konrad, Spec Ops: The Line

„Through the darkness of future past,
the magician longs to see,
one chance out between two worlds.
Fire walk with me!“

-Bob, Twin Peaks

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”