Evangelion Video Game Designs

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

gruntyguy
Embryo

Evangelion Video Game Designs

•      
  •      

Postby gruntyguy » Thu May 23, 2013 1:00 am

Since this is my first post, I'll quickly say that I am an artist, and sometimes I like to fantasize about game ideas that would probably never become reality. I put A LOT of thought and effort into making these drawings look as official as I can, to what a final product would look like. So with that, I, and my obsession with Evangelion, bring you Evangelion - Cruel Angel Thesis. This is what I envision to be the perfect Evangelion next-gen video game. (Cruel Angel Thesis is a placeholder name for the actual title, but I quite like it.)

I haven't figured out how everything would work out (especially a singleplayer story), but I have enough drawn that I'd like to show you.
First are three selling bullet points that would be on the back of the game's box:

EVANGELION - CRUEL ANGEL THESIS
-Re-live every epic moment from the series, movie, and all 4 Rebuilds. Pilot trademark Evangelions or create your own.

-Annihilate mankind, and achieve Third Impact as the fearsome and deadly Angels, in Angel Attack.

-Fight against other pilots online and show that you're the best Eva pilot there is.

I'm currently working on the pictures that would go with these bullet points. The first one is done:
SPOILER: Show

This picture is meant to be a visual representation of an in-game screenshot, UI HUD, effects, and everything.
I'll be working on the next two soon. The HUD design can be subject to change, as I'll be trying out different designs. This was the first idea I had.
The top left corner is a radar. The bottom left shows HP and the AT Field Bar. The bottom right shows what weapon would be equipped. The crosshair has two bars on each side indicating heat a weapon lets out. Since actual weapons aren't used often, I figure it's be better to let weapons such as the Pallet Rifle have infinite ammo, but be subject to overheating.

Next picture that I have in a presentable state (though still not complete) refers to "creating your own eva unit". Much like Halo with customizing your Spartan soldier, this game will allow you to customize your own Evangelion unit with different armor variations.

(I would like to point out that I did trace the main Eva, as I wanted this to look as official as possible. I do not usually trace.) (Also the chest Type A and Type B, as well as shoulders Devil and Twin Type, are my own designs.)

I bet some of you will be thinking "what is the main point of all this?" Heh, there isn't really one. This is my way of visualizing my fantasy. This will never become a reality. But hey, it's really fun to draw it all out. So Ill continue working on things like more screenshots, controls, gameplay mechanics, game modes, singleplayer, multiplayer, etc.
If you have any ideas, suggestions, criticism about anything feel free to let me know. I hope you enjoy what I've shown now, and what I'll show in the future.
Last edited by gruntyguy on Fri May 24, 2013 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu May 23, 2013 1:11 am

Psst, do you do sprite work? Character designs? Mech designs are fine too, anything is something. I've got this budding game studio, see, and we're lacking an artist, even for such basics as stand-in artwork for a 2D metroidvania type thing. If you can do asset creation, that'd be neat.

We can sit here and dream all day, but if you want to make something a reality, I'll be awaiting your response.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Thu May 23, 2013 7:45 am

Wow, that looks like fun! I would totally play that if it really existed! For even further customization options, it might be interesting to include extracanonical Evas such as Unit-β, and maybe even stuff from Anima. That might be too much work, though, especially Anima. Anyway, I love what you've done so far! :love:
The Happy Red Planet (my Evangelion fan fic)

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Catamari » Thu May 23, 2013 8:53 am

This is an ambitious project. Drop me a PM if you need a programmer, I'm sure a lot of people here would be willing to help.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

Agentomega
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Agentomega » Thu May 23, 2013 11:26 am

Same here - I'd love to help out with programming/gameplay/testing aspects. In addition, I plan on getting into Blender this summer to do up some of the custom Evas from the current Rebuild RP, so hopefully if it's good enough I can contribute some in the way of Eva/Angel models.
Avatar: Rhoe Amariyo (© 2010-2014 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved. FINAL FANTASY X|V)
Karigane Shirou in LoL's RP - Rebuild of Evangelion: We Are (Not) Together
"'I was a nerd before it was cool' ~Agent" ~Lance of LoL

gruntyguy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby gruntyguy » Thu May 23, 2013 3:23 pm

I haven't seen much from Anima. Mostly just character pictures.
I thank you for the kind responses, but unfortunately I haven't the slightest clue on actual game developing. I'm not trying to shoot people down, its just I know nothing about game design. I wouldn't know how to start something like this up, and if it would even be possible.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Thu May 23, 2013 3:33 pm

(re)Read Monk Ed's post. He's got work for you, if you're up for it.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu May 23, 2013 5:34 pm

View Original PostCatamari wrote:This is an ambitious project. Drop me a PM if you need a programmer, I'm sure a lot of people here would be willing to help.

View Original PostAgentomega wrote:Same here - I'd love to help out with programming/gameplay/testing aspects. In addition, I plan on getting into Blender this summer to do up some of the custom Evas from the current Rebuild RP, so hopefully if it's good enough I can contribute some in the way of Eva/Angel models.

Are either of you familiar with any engines/environments such as Unity 3D or UDK? Any familiarity with game programming in particular? AgentOmega, good to see someone with Blender enthusiasm, but what's your modeling/art experience (not that you can't learn, I'm just curious)? If you can get good at making 3D models from orthographic pictures, maybe gruntyguy could draw you some blueprints to work off of.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Agentomega
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Agentomega » Thu May 23, 2013 6:00 pm

Sadly, I'm a complete noob to Blender/UDK/Unity/Modeling, but I learn quickly (and will have too much time on my hands this summer). I have little game programming experience, but I am a computer science (BS/MS)/cognitive science (BS) graduate. Give me a direction, and I'll dive in enthusiastically XD I've also taken a course in usability, so I can help out a bit on the UI/HUD with regards to intuitivity, ease of use, etc.
Avatar: Rhoe Amariyo (© 2010-2014 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved. FINAL FANTASY X|V)

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu May 23, 2013 9:17 pm

View Original PostStryker wrote:(re)Read Monk Ed's post. He's got work for you, if you're up for it.

"Are you a bad enough dude to save teh Monk?!"

AgentOmega wrote:Sadly, I'm a complete noob to Blender/UDK/Unity/Modeling, but I learn quickly (and will have too much time on my hands this summer).

When does your summer start? And if you don't mind sharing, what exactly is your situation that will give you so much time on your hands?

I have little game programming experience, but I am a computer science (BS/MS)/cognitive science (BS) graduate.

You have a master's in computer science? Well look at this fancy pants over here. What kinda stuff did you learn? Any AI? Ever done an A* algorithm? And just for curiosity's sake, what did you learn in cognitive science?

This talk by Jonathan Blow includes some advice for the differences between The Programming You Know and indie game programming: http://the-witness.net/news/2011/06/how-to-program-independent-games/ Complete with amusing anecdotes from his own past! Not a comprehensive lesson by any means, of course, just some neat examples of what's different about game programming (at least in the indies).

Give me a direction, and I'll dive in enthusiastically XD

I created an animated model even as a noob and that was with a pretty severe (and continuing!) general enthusiasm deficiency so I believe every word of this.

As far as engines/environments, I think Unity's a great way to get started, but of course I'm biased because it's what I know. It also works with Blender -- you can just drag and drop the Blender files right into a game world. Unity is a lot of fun to just play around with. Not so good for 2D stuff though, and that's the most realistic kind of project unless you have a modeler, but seeing as you're willing to model.

Your Blender enthusiasm is valuable. Work that shit. Make practice models, rig them, animate them, be proud of your work. I know far too many programmers and not enough modelers/artists or at least people willing to put the effort into that side of things.

I've also taken a course in usability, so I can help out a bit on the UI/HUD with regards to intuitivity, ease of use, etc.

Great! Any little gems you can think to share offhand?
System Administrator

Agentomega
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Agentomega » Thu May 23, 2013 10:12 pm

I return home this Sunday - since I'm graduating this year, I've got a sizeable gap between graduation and my job. I'll basically be stuck at home since I still need to get my license, but that means when I'm not driving, I have plenty of time to develop more skills.

Although I do not (currently) know much in the way of AI beyond pattern classification techniques (neural network, nearest neighbor, etc.) and automated theorem provers, I'm sure I can teach myself whatever I need to know for this project. I've attempted some stuff with min/max algorithms for currently existing board games, but I'm not sure how much that applies here. I can also work in pretty much any programming language. You name it, I can pick it up quickly. With Cognitive Science, I mostly learned about logic and other decision making processes, so that will lend itself to AI and UI design.

About that course in Usability, a decent portion was reviewing scenarios from "The Atomic Chef," picking apart the flaws, and figuring out how it could be applied to application design. Furthermore, we also learned strategies for testing interfaces and user feedback. The general thing I took away from the class is "Put yourself in the user's shoes. What is their goal, and is there a problem with the interface that interferes with that particular task? What is the purpose of the interface?" Stuff like task orientation, and rigidity of interface vs. flexibility of use, etc. I still have the notes from that class, so I'll review them more in detail and post a couple o' tidbits shortly.

I'll also be sure to check out that link.

Hehe, I'm getting fired up about this! It's been some time since a project has sounded so fun to me.

EDIT:

I forgot to mention those sketches in the OP are brilliant, grunty!

gruntyguy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby gruntyguy » Fri May 24, 2013 5:06 am

I've just finished a Main Menu design. One of several ideas I have. This menu goes for a more interactive and visual style, much like the new Metro Last Light, (only example off the top of my head), rather than what a lot of games do these days; a simple background with a list of options.
I'm very pleased with how this turned out.

As you can see I went a little nuts on the details for something that is supposed to be simple groundwork. I worked on this for a few hours straight. I just couldn't stop. That goes for adding in all this detail. The menu would be very animated. The main screen displaying an Angel approaching for attack. For this moment I chose to use Sahaquiel approaching. Emergency hexagons would be flashing on the sides. Multiple displays would be flashing, especially the "Pattern Blue" next to the Angel Attack option. The Cage option leads to the Eva Unit customization section. Also very important, from the first moment I thought of the menu the perfect music for it would be The Longest Day. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONStCG_5Zx0

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri May 24, 2013 6:07 pm

Are you thinking this menu should be a 3D space? If so, you could make textures for those consoles. All you'd need to do is draw the same pictures but flat, as they would appear if you were looking directly at the console, then that could be used as a texture for the console screen. You'll need to draw several frames to make it animated, of course.

Maybe Agentomega could get to work on the 3D models of the consoles starting this Sunday. Simple shapes like that should be a good first step into Blender.
System Administrator

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Fri May 24, 2013 7:57 pm

That's a cool menu design, gruntyguy! I adore spiffy menus. Sure, fancy graphics and animation are not essential for a menu, but I think it's awesome to see someone going the extra mile like that. It shows that you really care about what you're doing. Please keep up the good work!
The Happy Red Planet (my Evangelion fan fic)

Agentomega
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Agentomega » Fri May 24, 2013 10:54 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Maybe Agentomega could get to work on the 3D models of the consoles starting this Sunday. Simple shapes like that should be a good first step into Blender.

I like this idea, though I'll likely start on Monday since Sunday will be packing, unpacking, and setup XD

gruntyguy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby gruntyguy » Sat May 25, 2013 10:52 pm

View Original PostLiterary Eagle wrote:That's a cool menu design, gruntyguy! I adore spiffy menus. Sure, fancy graphics and animation are not essential for a menu, but I think it's awesome to see someone going the extra mile like that. It shows that you really care about what you're doing. Please keep up the good work!

Thanks Eagle. Appreciate it. x3

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Sun May 26, 2013 7:24 pm

I am not entirely sure of what you guys are planning here, but since i've been learning illustration for some time (and started learning animation recently), i could help you here and there on the visual front/aspects if you would want that. Due to my lack of confidence in my skills i can't promise you anything though.

This is certainly an ambitious project, to say the least.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sun May 26, 2013 7:29 pm

What do you think you'd draw?
System Administrator

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Sun May 26, 2013 7:37 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:What do you think you'd draw?

What you would ask me/an assistant to, basically. I don't have any experience making anything for a game so i would have to learn some of the things (like textures, modeling, that sort of thing) as i go.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

gruntyguy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby gruntyguy » Sun May 26, 2013 10:40 pm

Okay, as I've said previously, I'm not meaning to shoot down anyone's enthusiasm. But this isn't a project in which I'm looking for people to help me make it. For one I dont think it's really possible for a small indie team to make what I'm envisioning. For two I wouldn't want anyone at the helm of this project other than Studio Khara themselves. If anything, once I finish drawing out everything for this project, I'll send it to Khara and see if they're interested in making something like this a reality. Other than that, I am thrilled that you guys like what I'm doing enough to want to try and make it. I just dont think it's possible.

Return to “Fan Works”