Evangelion Video Game Designs

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

tzigi
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby tzigi » Mon May 27, 2013 3:06 pm

View Original Postgruntyguy wrote:I dont think it's really possible for a small indie team to make what I'm envisioning. (...) I just dont think it's possible.

Registered here just to answer this post though maybe I'll stay and post more :).
I disagree about the impossibility - have you seen the Dragon Ball fangame that Nostal/Treevax is working on alone? He does it all by himself and it seems to be going really well. So why should a motivated team prove unable to do the same?
I'd myself gladly help with some of the more tedious tasks - colouring boring parts (like backgrounds), spriting and so on. And yes, I have some experience :)
Quidquid agis, prudenter agas.

gruntyguy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby gruntyguy » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:32 am

I've got another picture to show. This one is more concepty and groundworky. I got lazy
SPOILER: Show

This one is showing off Angel Attack mode. I decided to use the Angel, Clockiel.
ANGEL ATTACK MECHANICS
Every Angel would have it's own starting point on the Tokyo 3 map, based on where their attack begins in the series.
Sachiel would start at sea, Ramiel somewhere off in the horizon of Tokyo 3, etc. Most would probably start off the coast of Tokyo 3 though, thinking about it.
Most Angels would also have at least 2 weapons: the iconic angel beam, and a second attack special to the Angel. For Clockiel, that is the black missle like projectiles.
Enemy attacks would also move through a heat system. The more damage you cause the more resistance is given out. At first it may start out with a squad of VTOLs and a battalion of tanks. (These wouldnt really be able to do damage. They are there for giving off the effect that you are unstoppable.) These JSSDF units would continue to multiply, eventually leaving them no choice but to drop N2 Bombs. These would be able to hurt you. I'm thinking there would be a way to deflect them with the AT Field. Maybe a quicktime event or a bar you have to fill by creating mass amounts of damage. Something like that.
The graphic around the VTOL indicate the target. The red outline around the VTOL indicates that you have a lock-on, and the homing projectile will hit it.
And finally as the last line of defense, an Evangelion unit would be sortied against you. This Eva unit would also have a chance to go berserk given the right circumstances.
Now of course your main goal would be uniting with Lilith and starting Third Impact. There would be a spot in Tokyo 3 you must reach that would allow you to break through into the geofront. How long this takes is based on the Angel's own strength. Sachiel could take a while, while Zuerel could break right through. Resistance hits maximum here. Once an Eva unit is destroyed another is launched, and so on. From here fight your way to Nerv HQ, destroy it, descend down Terminal Dogma, and complete your objective, giving you a nice chaotic cinematic of the impact destroying everything.

ShIiNjI
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ShIiNjI » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:51 pm

I think it’s a pretty amazing concept, better than a lot of officially licensed Eva games out there. I really hope that Khara will make it real, good luck!

By the way I have some game programming experience, so if you guys come up with the idea of a serious fan-made Evangelion game, count me in.

Yaywalter
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Yaywalter » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:45 pm

View Original Postgruntyguy wrote:Okay, as I've said previously, I'm not meaning to shoot down anyone's enthusiasm. But this isn't a project in which I'm looking for people to help me make it. For one I dont think it's really possible for a small indie team to make what I'm envisioning. For two I wouldn't want anyone at the helm of this project other than Studio Khara themselves. If anything, once I finish drawing out everything for this project, I'll send it to Khara and see if they're interested in making something like this a reality. Other than that, I am thrilled that you guys like what I'm doing enough to want to try and make it. I just dont think it's possible.

I think you're overestimating the difficulty of producing games nowadays. There's tons of powerful, free and/or relatively cheap tools out there... stuff like Unity.

Also... an animation studio at the helm of a videogame? Ehh... that probably wouldn't turn out too great. It might be a very attractive game visually, but it would almost certainly suck in the gameplay department. Actual game developers should be at the helm of the gameplay, with Khara helping out with the graphics and Hideaki Anno directing the story and making sure that everything is authentic Eva.

Anyway... interesting ideas. Though my ideal Eva game would be a mashup between the first-person mech combat of Hawken and the school/social aspect of the Persona series.

gruntyguy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby gruntyguy » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:23 pm

View Original PostShIiNjI wrote:I think it’s a pretty amazing concept, better than a lot of officially licensed Eva games out there. I really hope that Khara will make it real, good luck!

By the way I have some game programming experience, so if you guys come up with the idea of a serious fan-made Evangelion game, count me in.

Thank you!

View Original PostYaywalter wrote:I think you're overestimating the difficulty of producing games nowadays. There's tons of powerful, free and/or relatively cheap tools out there... stuff like Unity.

Also... an animation studio at the helm of a videogame? Ehh... that probably wouldn't turn out too great. It might be a very attractive game visually, but it would almost certainly suck in the gameplay department. Actual game developers should be at the helm of the gameplay, with Khara helping out with the graphics and Hideaki Anno directing the story and making sure that everything is authentic Eva.

Anyway... interesting ideas. Though my ideal Eva game would be a mashup between the first-person mech combat of Hawken and the school/social aspect of the Persona series.

Well that is what I meant by having Khara at the helm of the project. To make sure it's true and authentic to Eva. I know another company would probably have to develop it like Capcom or something, but not sure who would be good in that aspect.
Although after a bit of searching (though not extensive research) it seems this may truly be a pipe dream. There doesn't seem to be a way to protect my concept via copyright, since it's still under Khara's original copyright (in case they would try to steal or something). But even before that, it seems companies cant even risk reading letters such as this. People send developers game ideas all the time, but they are apparently too risky to read, in case the idea is already similarly in production. And they're probably not interested in reading a silly game idea letter from a random person.
Though I feel my case is a tad different. Like I said, I plan to flesh out everything for this project, and then put into a really nice pdf presentation or something. Work out every detail so they pretty much would have no questions.
But even before THAT, how the hell would I go about sending it to them? Would I have to get it translated into Japanese? How do I even go about doing that?
I dont know, it just seems really impossible. And I'd hate to go through all this effort to find out it really isnt possible, and be left with the biggest fake game screenshots compilation.

Caliburn
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Caliburn » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:47 pm

I hope what I'm about to say will ultimately be encouraging rather than discouraging... As someone who has worked in the U.S. game industry, I can confirm that companies will not read unsolicited game pitches for all the reasons you stated. So if the main reason you're toying with these ideas and concept art is because you want to submit it to Studio Khara, yeah, never say never, but it's extremely unlikely anything will ever come of it.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't work on it, though! There are three things you could do:

1) Keep working on the ideas and concept just because it's fun and good practice, but without any expectation that more will come from it except enjoyment and learning. Let me be clear that there's no shame or "waste of time" in this whatsoever! Almost every pro I know got their start by practicing on a project that ultimately had no commercial potential to get made. And hobby projects are awesome even if you don't ever want to do that as your job. You do it because it is rewarding and fun!

2) Scale down the size of the idea so that it can be built by a small indie team. Gather some people with the talent and interest and start making it as a non-commercial fan game. It seems like there's already some people on this forum interested in that, so maybe some of you can band together. If you want to use any of these skills professionally, like user interface design, this is even better than #1 because an idea often sounds easier in theory than it turns out to be when you try to actually make it, so you can learn a lot this way. Personally, I think it'd be super cool if an Eva fan game got its start on EvaGeeks. Just because you've never worked on a game before, doesn't mean this can't be the first time. :)

3) Save the idea for years, concentrate on getting a job either at a game company that might be interested in licensing Eva or at Studio Khara where you might influence someone who deals with licensing out to game companies, so that you can pitch it to them as an employee. That's the only scenario where you could pitch this idea and try to get a company to make it, and even then it's a long shot. Companies can only make so many games at a time, and most employees don't really have any influence over what games are made. But if you really insist the idea must be made by a professional game studio, this would be the only way I know of, and it's not like this never happens. I bet whoever decided Capcom should remake their Ducktales NES game was an employee who loved that game for years and was waiting for the chance to pitch a remake.

I'm curious to see more and hope you'll continue. :thumbsup:

gruntyguy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby gruntyguy » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:14 pm

I finished this last night. Its a simple concept of the Cage menu for unit customization.

The left side would show an active cage section with an Eva unit that would update in real time when new armor is chosen. People would be moving around, small vehicles driving along the bottom of the cage, all in preparation for the Eva's launch. The right hand side would hold the menu options. After selecting a piece to change, a new menu would expand. The preview window would show what the piece looks like.

Caliburn, what you say isn't discouraging, so thank you. It's simply discouraging that this is the way it is. The fact that they wouldn't even read it no matter how much effort is put in.

I also have low self esteem and am easily discouraged, so that doesn't make things easier on how I feel

I'm also a little stubborn because I dont think Id want to scale down the scope... I feel like Id never truly be happy with it. Also mentioning the people here interested in helping with this. I want to take this moment to apologize for my statement about not looking for help. I think it may have come off as arrogant/mean spirited and that was not my intention. Now that I understand how this system works, I realize that an indie team may be the only way this concept could see fruition. And the fact of the matter is I was arrogant. I dont really know what kind of things can be developed by indie teams. I just felt like it wouldnt be able to match this scope.
I dont really know how I feel right now. I guess for now I'll continue developing concepts because it is fun to do.

ShIiNjI
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ShIiNjI » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:38 am

I think that the "main" menu (top left) is ok, but probably an hexagonal grid system for the "detail" menu, with the image of each object in a cell instead of the bare name, would look better and be more eva-style.

If I were you, I would create a web site or a blog to show the concept to the world. If it generates a lot of interest, attracting a lot of fans, maybe Khara will notice it too and make your concept real.
Actually, the same thing could happen with a fan-made game. Almost certainly it will not stand up to your expectations and to what a game studio like Capcom would be capable to achieve, but if it generates enough buzz maybe Khara will want to make it big.

gruntyguy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby gruntyguy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:55 pm

View Original PostShIiNjI wrote:I think that the "main" menu (top left) is ok, but probably an hexagonal grid system for the "detail" menu, with the image of each object in a cell instead of the bare name, would look better and be more eva-style.

If I were you, I would create a web site or a blog to show the concept to the world. If it generates a lot of interest, attracting a lot of fans, maybe Khara will notice it too and make your concept real.
Actually, the same thing could happen with a fan-made game. Almost certainly it will not stand up to your expectations and to what a game studio like Capcom would be capable to achieve, but if it generates enough buzz maybe Khara will want to make it big.

I was actually thinking about that as well lol. I'll draw up a quick concept of that type too. And I'll think of where a good place to put this all up would be. Another Blogger like my portfolio site?

gruntyguy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby gruntyguy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:57 pm

Sorry for double post. I dont know if there is a thing against it, but I had the revised cage menu to show.

This menu turns the customizable piece options into symbols, rather than plain words in a box.
Personally I do like this a lot better.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:19 pm

Have you given any more thought about other people getting involved? Agentomega's on summer break now, I'm pretty sure.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:32 pm

The revised cage menu looks great, gruntyguy! It looks more slick and more Evangelion-ish that way. :asuka_thumbsup:
The Happy Red Planet (my Evangelion fan fic)

Agentomega
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Agentomega » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:41 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Have you given any more thought about other people getting involved? Agentomega's on summer break now, I'm pretty sure.

It's true haha. I'm free and looking for stuff to do XD
Avatar: Rhoe Amariyo (© 2010-2014 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved. FINAL FANTASY X|V)
Karigane Shirou in LoL's RP - Rebuild of Evangelion: We Are (Not) Together
"'I was a nerd before it was cool' ~Agent" ~Lance of LoL

endikac
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby endikac » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:28 am

i cant wait to play the game so when its done post the link bellow pls.

ty!!

gruntyguy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby gruntyguy » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:03 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Have you given any more thought about other people getting involved? Agentomega's on summer break now, I'm pretty sure.

I'm still decided what I want to do with this based on those three choices from Caliburn. I think I'd like to develop it a lot more first if anything.

View Original PostLiterary Eagle wrote:The revised cage menu looks great, gruntyguy! It looks more slick and more Evangelion-ish that way. :asuka_thumbsup:

Thank you :3

LeoXiao
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby LeoXiao » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:36 am

View Original Postgruntyguy wrote:Sorry for double post. I dont know if there is a thing against it, but I had the revised cage menu to show.

I'm digging that menu.

The NERV of Some People
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby The NERV of Some People » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:51 pm

hey just a heads up

if you need any evangelion sound effects for the game, I ripped a bunch of them from Evangelion 64.
EVERY SINGLE MISSILE HIT THE TARGET

gruntyguy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby gruntyguy » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:09 am

Hey all. Sorry I haven't posted any new work lately. Ive been busy and I've been fighting through a creative slump for a long time. I'll have bursts where I finally feel like drawing. So I decided to do something simple that doesnt require a lot of artsy effort, but its still important. Heres a work in progress of the control scheme for the Eva.

I haven't figured out what all the buttons can be because I personally dont know what all of the player's capabilities are. So this is pretty bare bones.
Explanation:
Barely pushing foward lets the Eva walk slowly. That very lanky looking walk that Eva 01 does after going berserk for the first time, and Unit 03 after going berserk.
Pressing and holding the jump button would visually and audibly indicate building power for a very high jump. This allows the player to have the same kind of momentum and movements Evas can perform on a whim. Visual would be a bar of some kind and audible would be a sort of Vrrrrrrrrrrr sound getting louder until reaching maximum output.
Dodge shoulder buttons would be a quick dodge method. Jump button and forward or backwards would probably create the same effective method of dodging.

Definitely open to suggestions for control schemes. Some ideas I'm playing with:
O button being a hold for dodge in direction you're pressing.
Dpad for weapon switching instead of Triangle button.
And on that note of weapon switching. Evas never holster weapons. Say you have a pallet rifle and switch to progressive knife. The Eva would toss the progressive knife would it not?
Would it be better to replicate that, or make some kind of method of holstering weapons, strictly for gameplay purposes? I think the former is better and more authentic.

iihieiii
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby iihieiii » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:02 am

OMG Amazing work bro! Nice concepts and drawning skills!

The main problem by making a game with Eva series is the concept behind it...i mean...i believe that the only possible way to make any Eva game should be "Angels vs Eva's" fight kinda style....and also past games also tryied doing that before (like 64 and some PC games)...and they were not successful =/

So...i don't really now if is possible to make good Eva game....idk..the concept of Eva is hard to make a game about it...but hey...your ideas are nice anyway :D

but even so....maybe one day we may have a good Eva game :tongue:

PainXIII12
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby PainXIII12 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:02 pm

i would make r2 and L2 the dodge buttons

Return to “Fan Works”