The IPEA and Wille

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Replicator
Adam

[Spoilers] The IPEA and Wille

•      
  •      

Postby Replicator » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:59 am

This is a split from the "Thoughts on Mari" thread, because I've been thinking about it ever since word about WILLE dropped. Could it be possible that WILLE is a successor to the IPEA, and that Kaji's true allegiance was with the IPEA all along? The IPEA seems to have the ability to operate independently from NERV, and may even have more authority over the Evangelions than NERV itself. But here's the kicker. What if the IPEA and NERV are both controlled by SEELE as a sort of "insurance" if one fails to achieve their ends. Tabgha Base on the Moon appears to be in direct control of SEELE, and there are possibly more SEELE facilities that we don't know about. Then could the Near-3I have been SEELE's plan after all, to 'reset' their Instrumentality agenda. Maybe SEELE was afraid Gendo had begun operating autonomously from their plans, and wanted another route for carrying out Instrumentality? Also, we don't know enough about why Misato would suddenly shift gears to form(?) her own organization to stop Gendo, when the NERV staff got carried over? Could WILLE also be trying to create their own version of Instrumentality? The fact is, not enough is known about the mechanics of Instrumentality or SEELE to make a clear judgement as of 3.0.

Discuss.

TB3
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby TB3 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:58 am

I always imagined IPEA (the International Project Evangelion Agency) to be an autonomous, extragovernmental body. It's clearly derived from the IAEA (International Atomic Energy Agency). From the laurel wreath incorporated into the logo it evidently (like IAEA) reports to the UN, thought it probably exists seperate from the UN as an independant body. They were probably intended to be an oversight group, with inspectors and monitors keeping an eye on various Evangelion production and deployment facilities around the world. It seems to preclude the possibility that Evas may become more than just 'anti angel' weapons, but the next stage in the evolution of warfare. It's not hard to imagine IPEA and the Vatican Treaty arising out of that.

Now, at this point I'd normally roll my eyes and assume that IPEA, like the Marduk Agency, is another dummy (pun intended) operation reporting to Gendo or SEELE. However, the fact that there are clearly a faction of people within NERV capable of launching Unit-02 independantly, with Mari as pilot, suggests this group actually has teeth and is not entirely cowed.

With that in mind, it's possible to see Wille emerging from IPEA, or perhaps developing alongside it as an 'independant' Evangelion-taskforce (sort of like UN Peacekeeper troops).

That said, the far more sinister possibility is that the German-derived name is not just a pun at NERV's expense, but a hint that Wille is itself a pawn in someone else's master plan.
Does the bus run through here!?

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:03 pm

I say Asuka was simply aware of the pun and suggested the names.

The IPEA might've been who Mari was once working for, but I don't think they were relevant beyond TI. Part of the setup (or in-universe, everyone's plans) being thrown out of the window by TI.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:53 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:37 pm

They may no longer be present in physical form, but we certainly haven't heard the last of them. All those programs activating, tramps over more traps - At the end, Fuyutsuki & Gendo seem to be shocked that SEELE's impact plan almost went off, considering all three factions to be at a stalemate right now, and the implication is pretty much that they arranged most the finale of Q.

Gendo does, however, say that Misato's actions were "within his predictions" or something like that
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”