Stryker Rewatches Evangelion (SRE)

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:44 am

Isn't it the whole point of Evangelion to show depressed people a mirror image of themselves, make them realize how coward they are, and then bitchslap them in the face yelling "Go face the world you moron!"?

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:40 pm

Here, I will provide the pictures I took when I watched the episode. No comments though, because I don't remember them, and I'm not going to watch something I already did. That wasn't their greatest episode, anyways.

SPOILER: Show

Deduct your own notes from them.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:46 pm

The film buff in me loves Episode 7 a lot. Anno's trademark how-does-I-ripoff-Okamoto directing/storyboarding style is probably in its strongest, most straightforward way of expression seen in that episode and it's pretty amazingly fun and delightful in terms of framings, editing, how scene transitions work etc.

Storywise it of course isn't one of the strongest episodes but due to above I've always had fondness on it. You can tell Anno did the storyboards for it.

Plus it was the first NGE episode I saw. I had read the manga up to that episode when I got into anime and I figured "why go over same stuff again" (I did end up starting from beginning pretty soon though)

hahhhaaha, come to think of it Misato's beer drinking habits raped my ears and were pretty traumatic first impression. "That cool woman from manga is not supposed to sound like that with retardedly high pitched voice nnnoooo D:"

(yes, I wasn't used to Japanese voices yet)

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:08 pm

Episodes 7 - 12 are the best buffalo wing episodes of the whole show! Last time I did a marathon of this show with a friend, we stopped before watching 7 and ordered pizza, wings, and beer. We didn't get drunk and we didn't over eat, but eating and drinking anything before the last half of the series is always a bad idea. The dry heaving was awful. It was the only time I saw the show from Maya Ibuki's perspective.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:19 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:You can tell Anno did the storyboards for it.

Can you also tell that Enokido wrote it? Honestly it's been too much time since I watched it, maybe I should really join in and watch it again too.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:26 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Can you also tell that Enokido wrote it? Honestly it's been too much time since I watched it, maybe I should really join in and watch it again too.

Nope, because it's Anno's voice as a writer who really comes through in that episode (remember Anno ALWAYS called back the script for each episode after the script was "finished" to go through it once more and add whatever unrevokable changes he wanted) - Enokido's part in Eva eps he wrote never seemes very influential. Just another name to add alongside many other contributors to singular Eva episodes who left little to no mark.

This is pretty much the case with all Eva episodes sans ep 13 that's clearly based on Mitsuo Iso's idea.

ReiAyanami25
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby ReiAyanami25 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:25 pm

View Original PostDream wrote:Actually, that kind of brings to something i've been thinking for quite a while, namely, wondering if both Shinji's fans and Shinji himself haven't gotten a bit too focused on his past and using it as a justification for Shinji's flaws a bit more than it should be done. I think i can see where the people who call him whiny or a jerk are coming from and up to some point i have to agree. I wouldn't use words like "whiny" but there are certainly a lot of things to criticize in Shinji, his past shouldn't be used as an excuse for him to hide from his flaws or cowardice. One thing that has always been quite interesting to me is that his final self-deprecating lines in EoTV ("I'm cowardly, weak, sneaky, wicked, and-") Are very true to some degree.

I mean, i still like Shinji, he's one of my favorite fictional characters and i consider him as an almost heroic person, but i can also see why so many people dislike him, and i think there is something behind the accusations of him being a whiny faggot or a wicked, selfish jerk.

I can agree with you somewhat. At times, Shinji's behavior can be easily and reasonably justified. However, on plenty of other moments where his more cowardly tendencies begin to show themselves, I do agree that the vexing sessions that he fabricates in his own head can be very self indulgent, bordering on self-pitying. There have been times when I, and probably many others have found ourselves sitting before our computer or television screens saying "why, Shinji? Why did you do that?" On occasions such as those, Shinji's actions and behavior are not at all deserving of our sympathy or compassion, and I, possibly due to the fact that I categorize myself as an individual who is not particularly a fan of Shinji, I do not attempt to utilize Shinji's troubled past, difficult surroundings and situation as an excuse for his more selfish and indulgent behaviors. This is not to say that I do not like Shinji as a character, because I do, but I simply mean that his mental condition cannot fully justify some of his choices.
生は、死の始まり。そして再生は、夢の終わり。
"I write only because there is a voice within me that will not be still." - SP

Rei Ayanami's beauty comes from the truth that she has feelings...the struggle to draw your feelings forth, the reconciliation between your surface and your death - that, I believe, is where we truly become alive, truly become human beings." -Hayashibara Megumi

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:57 pm

Sorry if I've been disappointing. I've been going through a lot lately, so notes have been slow. Next week is Christmas, so don't expect anything. I'll see if I can get some Ep. 8 notes up tomorrow. No promises.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:57 pm

You got yourself into this Stryker. Remember, you musn't run away. I'm just kidding, you can stop if you want.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:22 pm

I don't want to be the person who can never finish what I start. Never Forget.
The Moats of Quotes

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:09 pm

View Original PostCJD wrote:You got yourself into this Stryker. Remember, you musn't run away. I'm just kidding, you can stop if you want.

First you were like Misato then you became Rei, who are you CJD?
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:30 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:First you were like Misato then you became Rei, who are you CJD?

You ever see The Thing?
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:52 pm

View Original PostCJD wrote:You ever see The Thing?

So, you are also pen-pen?
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:57 pm

View Original PostCJD wrote:You ever see The Thing?

Should I ready my flamethrower?
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:52 pm

The Thing is such a shitty film. Not a single cute girl, damnit.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:57 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Should I ready my flamethrower?

:sly:

View Original PostJustacrazyguy wrote:So, you are also pen-pen?

Squawk squawk.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:03 pm

Note Set Eight:

(1.37):
Gendou: The cargo left from Sasebo port yesterday. . .
Sasebo port started out historically as a poor fishing village that turned into a major naval base during World War Two. What makes this place interesting, especially from the perspective of NGE, is that a point of interest in that port is a large, Gothic church, built in the 1930s. Source

(1.45):
Kensuke: A MIG-55 D Transport Helicopter!
Not an actual helicopter. Just letting you know.

(2.33):
Kensuke: That's the pride of the U.N., the glorious regular carrier, "Over the Rainbow"!"

How Kensuke says, "Over the Rainbow," Is hilarious.

(2.55): Important light imagery feat. Asuka Langley Sorhyu.

(3.15): The faces of the midshipmen are priceless. That, with the look of Misato in the second featured pic makes it look like the crew is ready to do some terrible things. rape

(3.55): Asuka made slapping noises when she hit the guys. This is amusing, because Kensuke's lens is broken and he has a black eye. Also, Shinji does really seem to give the slightest damn that he got hit in the face. He's more like, "why," rather than, "damn it, you hit me!"

(4.20): Misato's personal information. Interesting.

(5.21): Dayum Misato beez attractive.

(6.04): Someone needs to caption Kensuke's face.

(6.38): A classic scene. Be jelly of Shinji. Be jelly. Also, Kaji reminds me of Goofy for some reason.

(6.57): The beauty of the subtitles I have is that not only do they have the main track, but they also get the background chatter too. Not only do I know that Kaji thinks about how good Misato is in bed, but that someone's heart out there has too much air conditioning.

(7.46): Wow Asuka. That is really safe. I mean like, its not like your the Second Child or anything.

(9.08): In the Japanese audio, Asuka says, and I shit you not, "Chyyyaaanss"

(9.39): Is it just me, or does Misato look really butch in this cut?

(10.59): If your into the Shinjiko stuff, you now know that Shinji is pear shaped.

(11.59): MAKE IT STOOOP! MAKE IT STOOOOOP! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

(12.35): This shouldn't remind me of Poppy Brother Junior from Kirby, but it does. She has the face, and it looks like she's ready to lay a bomb like a chicken lays an egg.

(13.21): It looks like a bat. Batmangelion! Oh, and by the way, you could hear death curdles from the crew when the Evangelion landed on the ship. Asuka just crushed a shitton of people.

(14.07): My face when there is shitposting.

(14.57): The Annotated version of this picture sums up my thoughts.

Annotated: Image

(15.36): Shots showing the submerged cities really show how Japan's landmass really shrank. That bridge is a very interesting touch.

(16.14):
My God! A Yak-38 Custom!

Although there are no custom versions, there is more information on the vehicle here.

(16.38): Had her eyes been connected, she could've looked exactly like Sonic the Hedgehog.Image

(17.00): I don't think one would see that expression off of Asuka often. Also, tits.

(19.54): That's a pretty badass pose there, Eva 02.
The Moats of Quotes

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:21 pm

Stryker wrote:

I miss Gaghi. :(

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:34 pm

Stryker wrote:(4.20): Misato's personal information. Interesting.

I'm actually about 10cm taller than Misato. Go figure. I never realized she was that short. Then again, she does wear heels often.

Stryker wrote:(9.08): In the Japanese audio, Asuka says, and I shit you not, "Chyyyaaanss"

This is among the more memorable lines of the entire series for me.

Stryker wrote:(11.59): MAKE IT STOOOP! MAKE IT STOOOOOP! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

You'd think that being raised in Germany would cause her Japanese to have a German accent, not the other way around. I guess they couldn't get a German voice actress to do those lines and/or have her Japanese voice actress add a bit of an accent into her lines.

Stryker wrote:(13.21): It looks like a bat. Batmangelion! Oh, and by the way, you could hear death curdles from the crew when the Evangelion landed on the ship. Asuka just crushed a shitton of people.

I don't remember noticing that when I first watched the series. Made me cringe when I went back and watched it again just now.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:43 pm

View Original PostStryker wrote:(9.08): In the Japanese audio, Asuka says, and I shit you not, "Chyyyaaanss"

Oh man, wait till you get to the mindrape episode. When Asuka flashes through her various scenes that one is one of them, so you hear it like 15 times.

Fuck, just seeing the images for this episode reminded me how upbeat this part of the series was. Damn you to hell Anno.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”