A silly question about the Antarctic…

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Zuggy
Banned

A silly question about the Antarctic…

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:18 pm

The location of the White Moon in the Evangelion Universe, where the Angels were created from the sacred shape(s) of Adam's DNA code, otherwise known as the Dead Sea Scrolls etc. A massive amount of the backstory to Evangelion stems from this area. The one thing that has puzzled me thus far is:

Why is the sea in that area bright pink?

Yeah, it's a silly question (I did warn you with the title) but it bothers me. Here's four of my thoughts in annoying list format:

1) The Katsuragi team brought loads of canisters of pink paint to liven up their base but never got around to using it. The Second Impact burst open these canisters of paint, thus the ocean was turned indefinably pink.

2) The pink stuff is Adam's variant on LCL.

3) When the Second Impact occurred Adam destroyed the White Moon which was filled with His pink LCL or other random pink substance (Angel babies?).

4) It's simply used to create a strong graphic effect on the audience and to make the place seem otherworldly (boring answer).

What is also odd is the reflection of this concept here:

Hmmm, any thoughts?

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:31 pm

There's an idea floating around that Adam was actually destroyed by the energy released, and that the Adam embyro is more or less a clone. The sea would be read with his blood and remains. I wouldn't however put much stock in that.

SEELE 08
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE 08 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:40 pm

I've heard the theory that is the sould of the expidition team (aka those litte red dots) that turned the ocean red. I don't believe it though, because it doesn't really make much sense either, there weren't that many people in antarctica to turn entire ocean red. I think its just done for effect, though it could have some relation to the red earth ceremony non-sense.
I heart Encyclopedia Dramatica!
THAT WIKI/Aspergers

Archon Divinus
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Archon Divinus » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:00 pm

I always assumed it was a trick of the light, that it was supposed to be the sun shining on to the water.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:02 pm

The latest theory is that it is an ecosystem designed to support Angels, and is thus toxic to regular life, as is seen in episode #21'. It was created by Adam to sustain its offspring, but only encompasses the south pole as most of Adam's energy was either contained somehow by the last actions of the Katsurugi team, or possibly Adam could not in fact encompass the entire globe in this manner to begin with.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

poetic_assassin
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby poetic_assassin » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:04 pm

Maybe it's the hole in the o-zone. When Adam exploded, it may have widened.

SEELE 08
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE 08 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:17 pm

Gendo said Antarctica had been cleansed, the Red Earth Purification Ceremony would have occured in Antarctia as well in order for the data to match to match from 2I to 3I. I think its just the results of the REPC (which turned the land red, and later the sea red at the end of EoE.
THAT WIKI/Aspergers

C.W.Robson46290
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby C.W.Robson46290 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:25 pm

I don't think the water was actually pink in the physical sense. NGE takes a lot of liberties with stretching reality. I think that the water appears pink on the screen symbolically because of all the blood caused there by humans. You know, similar to the "blood on his/her hands" expression. Particularly since Gendo, a main player in the cause of all those deaths, was present. I think it is a symbolic use of imagery stating that Gendo has so much blood on his hands that it could fill an entire ocean. The major reason i think this is because the ocean is never pictured as pink anywhere else, and eventually whatever was making the antarctic water pink would have diluted to at least hue the rest of the world's oceans.
The difference between intelligence and wisdom is knowing when to stop giving advice.

If you continually focus on what makes someone different from you, you'll never realize how truly similar you are.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:06 am

Aside from the chanting done by Seele, what else do we know about this "Red Earth Purification Ceremony"?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:08 pm

Ornette wrote:Aside from the chanting done by Seele, what else do we know about this "Red Earth Purification Ceremony"?

Google doesn't show up any non-NGE references to that exact phrase.

Red Earth - ochre - is widely used in ceremonial circumstances; and the name Adam means Red Earth. So those leads get lost in the infosphere.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

SEELE 08
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE 08 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:30 pm

Who knows where the REPC comes from. Maybe Vlad was smoking too much weed and came up with notion.

Vlad: Doooods, I totally just got this awesome idea. Like what if we totally made this huge Tree of Life and like, blew Japan up!
Pierre: Vlad did you get into Teddy's speciel stash again?
Nigel: Sounds like a good idea to me!
Pierre: Getting into Teddy's stash or Vlad's idea?
Nigel: Both!
THAT WIKI/Aspergers

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:03 pm

Or their were getting rid of all life that came from adam
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”