Your Favorite FF Styles

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

EvaBrothers
Sachiel
Sachiel

Your Favorite FF Styles

•      
  •      

Postby EvaBrothers » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:29 am

What kind of fanfiction do you read? :)

Do you prefer FFs that refer strictly to canon, or do you appreciate the diversity of fan views, crossovers, alternative universes and OCs?

NGE Fanfiction sites: how many do you know?
~ Luana Spinetti ~ [email protected] (Email)
Note: I'm no longer the author of the fanfiction "Eva Brothers from Cybertron". I passed authorship to a friend (Lia Dospetti) who's turning it into her own work, while still maintaining homages to NGE and Transformers, as well as Star Trek. I still draw the artworks, though, and I have some fragments of the old fanfic here.

Xavierla
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Xavierla » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:28 pm

I am actually a fan of crossovers. While I like alternate universe fanfics I like sticking to canon because if my fanfics match up with the story line enough that it could one day be animated in canon to the rest of the work. I'll usually do this as an episode in between the beginning of one season in the series and the end of a previous season.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:47 pm

I might as well put a data point in here, even though I've not actually read a significant amount of fanfic since TToR404 stopped appearing here, and even then Dirty Pair was the only other title I looked out fics of.

Most of the fics I can remember that I liked are in some way or other, variations on the material of the series; fusions, what-ifs, extreme alternate worlds, ventures into the absurd or alternate takes on Instrumentality -- you can find some specific titles early on in the recommendations thread.

After the obvious technical matter of writing skill, then, if it's meant to be humorous, the gags have to be reasonably witty and arise naturally from the characters; if it's played straight, then the author has to have something reasonably novel to say using the setting and characters; and if it's smut, it has to appeal to my personal set of kinks.

I tended to find fics via Google, which unearthed many sites, personal or group, now long lost to the internet, except where the Wayback Machine still has them.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:50 pm

Crossovers are fun, but I really like alternate universe ones. It's always fun seeing the characters tweaked in some way, or the original characters thrown into new situations (extreme or mundane). Truth be told, I'll read anything as long as it's good - though to be fair, what I think is good is very subjective. There are some fics I've read that are very well written, but I just didn't enjoy. Then there are some that are poorly written, but the author has such a good grasp of storytelling or sheer joy at what their writing, I can't help but fall into it.

So...it varies.

Agentomega
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Agentomega » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:02 am

I appreciate all types of fanfiction as long as the premise and writing is somewhat decent. I can list favorites from just about every category. I think I'm more partial to writing crossovers myself just because I like finding connections between series and coming up with wacky ideas (but that is a topic for another thread).
Avatar: Rhoe Amariyo (© 2010-2014 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved. FINAL FANTASY X|V)
Karigane Shirou in LoL's RP - Rebuild of Evangelion: We Are (Not) Together
"'I was a nerd before it was cool' ~Agent" ~Lance of LoL

Tribblepoo
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Tribblepoo » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:58 am

View Original PostAgentomega wrote:I appreciate all types of fanfiction as long as the premise and writing is somewhat decent.

This 100%. I have my own views on different types of fanfics, but to grab my interest, they must well written with a decent premise. If I were to read any one type over others, it would have to be crossovers, with a close second being "mild" AUs (Due to Chance is a great example of one of those).
"Having sex with extreme gas must be how the Scots came up with the idea for bagpipes."

moonwolf2024
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby moonwolf2024 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:33 pm

LEMONSSSSSS :mwahaha:

But no...seriously. I prefer Alt. Universe. It's intersting to see how others view the characters and to see the characters doing somthing other than what we're used to. Crossovers dont really do it for me.
Maybe if you shut up and stop over analyzing everything you just might get it........

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:38 pm

On a principle, I think that anything can be good if there's a good enough writer behind it.

I've read very good AUs, but that were those written by the rare people who understood that an AU is supposed to "translate" the characters into the new setting, not just tell a random highshool story with the character's names tacked on...
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby driftking18594 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:21 pm

Yuri lemon. *awaits flames*

Agentomega
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Agentomega » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:35 pm

View Original Postdriftking18594 wrote:Yuri lemon. *awaits flames*

What are you talking about, that's the best kind of lemon!
Avatar: Rhoe Amariyo (© 2010-2014 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved. FINAL FANTASY X|V)
Karigane Shirou in LoL's RP - Rebuild of Evangelion: We Are (Not) Together
"'I was a nerd before it was cool' ~Agent" ~Lance of LoL

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:42 pm

Put down your lemons, marine! That's an order!

In the past I've landed up starting with fics that seemed normal and then turned into puke material. Damned lemons don't work for me.

I like straight in-universe fics more than crossovers since getting the tone of a crossover right can be very difficult. But there are a lot of really good crossovers out there that I do like.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Clover » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:00 pm

I've never read a good one, but continuation.
Extreme re-imagining would be second.

Rommel
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Rommel » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:01 pm

View Original PostAgentomega wrote:What are you talking about, that's the best kind of lemon!

Maybe.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:14 am

View Original PostAgentomega wrote:What are you talking about, that's the best kind of lemon!

You've clearly never tried lemon lube.

And on topic, i don't read NGE fanfics, which is probably not a good idea. Never seen anyone that moved me i guess.

SPOILER: Show
Although The One I Love Is was pretty enjoyable a bunch of years ago...

And i guess there was also one titled "Pariah" that involved Shinji with a Rei-sih OC, had a generally dark tone. My teenage self considered it good stuff
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:32 am

I look for anything with an interesting execution, regardless of the "quality" of the idea behind it. I maintain that ideas themselves can't really be judged on quality, since a silly premise can produce a well written story and the best idea in the world can lead to utter dreck in the wrong hands (which happens a lot in the Eva fandom and fanfic in general).

I generally avoid crossovers without some kind of a recommendation since they usually don't bother putting deep thought into the fusion of the elements.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

gorgeousshutin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby gorgeousshutin » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:52 pm

Being that NGE + EoE is a well-written story unlikely to be rivaled by fanfiction, I can only see myself reading post-series fics expanding on the existing story. I am also allergic to obnoxious non-NGE OCs (Mari-included), so I prefer fics where their parts are kept to bacterial sizes.
The Gorgeous Shut-in
Current fics:
(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018)
(PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Nov, 2017)
(NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016)
(Banana Fish)Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 01, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works
or
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

Atropos
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Atropos » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:55 pm

Script format should be used more often.

That's all I'm saying.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:55 pm

Anything and everything, so as long as it's written with style, taste, and proper grammar.

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:39 pm

I don't really have preferences. What that means is that I read mostly everything.

Only "mostly" because I make it a point not to read self-inserts or OC-centric stories. They tend to be bad, dead, or both.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:14 am

• Post-3I fics that don't just handwave that whole 'we broke the world' thing.
  • Fics centered on less popular charecters.
  • "What If"s that aren't crossovers, self insert nonsense or just plain stupid.
  • Slice of life stuff that fits into the existing storyline.
  • Shinji/Rei fics that actually address the squick factor.
  • Serious attempts at drama, not melodrama.

Script format should be used more often.

Just... no. :shinchair:
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Return to “Fanfiction”