Hideaki Anno interview 14/07/2012

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:17 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:She got all these scenes where she's alone in the darkness of her room or her entry plug, deliberating things about human comunication.

Heh, that's a good point. What's Asuka's scene with her doll if not a de facto internal monologue?

I think we're mistaking differences in movie/TV storytelling devices for something more significant here.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Na7e » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:01 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Heh, that's a good point. What's Asuka's scene with her doll if not a de facto internal monologue?

I think we're mistaking differences in movie/TV storytelling devices for something more significant here.

Her interactions with the doll aren't something I would consider positive, even using it as a slur against Rei. The fact it's in a shot of focus in her final conversation with Misato paints the entire scene in a disingenuous light.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:06 am

View Original PostNa7e wrote:Her interactions with the doll aren't something I would consider positive, even using it as a slur against Rei. The fact it's in a shot of focus in her final conversation with Misato paints the entire scene in a disingenuous light.

Wait, who said anything about it being positive? That has no bearing on the question of whether or not it's a storytelling device, which is what I thought we were talking about here. And I'm talking about her conversation with her doll, not Misato. It's a different scene.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Na7e » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:13 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Wait, who said anything about it being positive? That has no bearing on the question of whether or not it's a storytelling device, which is what I thought we were talking about here. And I'm talking about her conversation with her doll, not Misato. It's a different scene.

Sorry, my bad. I'm rather tired at the moment. Yes, your right about it being an internal monologue though considering Shikinami is projecting onto the doll.

JoeD80
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby JoeD80 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:22 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:He didn't get to do that much casanova-ing in rebuild, baring the introduction scene with Ritsuko.

Well he did do his little come-on routine to Shinji by the soda machine.

Venez
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Venez » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:11 pm

I find it slightly sad he wants to get rid of some of the great concepts in the show, but he is most likely in a different state mentally since NGE was created. Oh well, if you don't like the rebuild, just watch the series over, cry manly tears, and pretend it never happened.
Truth is Subjective

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Na7e » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:22 pm

^Except...he doesn't say that. He remarks that Shinji becoming a hero who fights desperately to save a girl...is probably a perception of the times. He states he can't change his essential nature, even reminding the interviewer that he hasnt changed much. So I really doubt Shinji becoming a stereotypical shōnen character is in his plans.
Last edited by Na7e on Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Joe » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:27 pm

View Original PostNa7e wrote:^Except...he doesn't say that. He remarks that Shinji becoming a hero who fights desperately to save a girl...is probably a perception of the times. He states he can't change his essential nature, even reminding the interviewer that he hasnt changed much. So I really doubt Shinji becoming a stereotypical shōnen character isn't in his plans.

Sure ! Wait for 3.0, I'm pretty sure that Anno will troll all of us with a turnaround.
Don't forget that the moe potential of Asuka is totally screwed up in 3.0, so everything can happen.

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Na7e » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:36 pm

^Suffering builds character. Especially in Asuka's case quite literally.

Joe
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Joe » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:38 pm

Kaji said something similar. (subtitles in French anyway)

Venez
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Venez » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:27 pm

View Original PostNa7e wrote:^Except...he doesn't say that. He remarks that Shinji becoming a hero who fights desperately to save a girl...is probably a perception of the times. He states he can't change his essential nature, even reminding the interviewer that he hasnt changed much. So I really doubt Shinji becoming a stereotypical shōnen character is in his plans.

I just mean by making it more for entertainment, the chances of losing some of the meaning is almost imminent.
Truth is Subjective

Joe
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Joe » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:46 pm

I just mean by making it more for entertainment, the chances of losing some of the meaning is almost imminent.

As said before, it can be willed by Anno, in order to do something unexpected in 3.0
"Reculer pour mieux sauter".

Anno is too good, he can not do an shonen-Shinji without any purpose in mind.

Venez
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Venez » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:57 pm

View Original PostJoe wrote:As said before, it can be willed by Anno, in order to do something unexpected in 3.0
"Reculer pour mieux sauter".

Anno is too good, he can not do an shonen-Shinji without any purpose in mind.

Agreed, I just hope it comes out without any delays, and no one is disappointing, I don't see how I could be at least.
Truth is Subjective

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:07 pm

I gotta say, I'm beginning to hate the endless anime sub-genres and character types. We can discuss The Dark Knight Rises without going into the Moe-ness of Catwoman. No such luck were it an anime.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:34 am

I find the "can't change my essential nature" comment to be a good/promising sign.

Good on you Anno!
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:58 pm

View Original PostVenez wrote:I just mean by making it more for entertainment, the chances of losing some of the meaning is almost imminent.

Does this mean that shows that do have subtle meanings and/or artistic influence have little to no chance of being entertaining?

[Tosses Koyaanisqatsi, 2001: A Space Odyssey, and The End of Evangelion for suddenly realizing that they're not entertaining movies.]

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby driftking18594 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:59 pm

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:We can discuss The Dark Knight Rises without going into the Moe-ness of Catwoman.

Am I kawaii, Wayne-kun? :rofl:

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:50 am

That's from the scene with her in the maid's outfit, right?

I find this interesting:

"However, the new Eva fans are different in character from the old ones, though I can't specifically say what the difference is."

I'm sure there are non-Japanese fans who jumped onboard because of Rebuild, but as far as this forum goes, most seem to be holdovers from the old series. Is there a more prominent contingent of n00bz in the homeland? Anno seems to think so.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:53 am

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:I'm sure there are non-Japanese fans who jumped onboard because of Rebuild, but as far as this forum goes, most seem to be holdovers from the old series. Is there a more prominent contingent of n00bz in the homeland? Anno seems to think so.

Well, unlike America, Japan doesn't have this divide between the younger anime fans and the older group of anime fans that have been watching anime since the late 80's where all they had was undubbed/unsubbed AKIRA on 18th generation VHS tape and were happy with it even though they couldn't understand the language. I guess it also bleeds over into Evangelion fandom.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:42 pm

Some clarification on NME's movie production/tie-ins, this thread is mentioned in the article: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2012-09-14
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”