Shinji's Dark Secret

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Sun May 25, 2014 3:21 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:That's not exactly the truth : the chores in the apartment are shared at least between him and Asuka, you can see it in the famous scene where Toji taunt them that the "newly wed are arguing again" : Asuka was screaming at Shinji because it was his turn to make lunch but he didn't do it, leaving them both without lunch. (that scene is also present in Rebuild)

But it's true that when the show is showing someone doing the chores, it's always Shinji, the only exception is in 2.0 when Asuka is cooking (for Shinji)

Yep Shinji is doing most of the chores even thought it is implied that Asuka does it also sometimes (like cooking). I don't believe we can connect it with Shinji-quantum though because it doesn't hold much weight.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sun May 25, 2014 4:30 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Personally I never saw those Shinji's smiles as "happy", more like "creepy as fuck", it would be like saying that all those soulless and mindless Rei clones in the Reiquarium are genuinely happy because they're smiling.

I once read an interesting essay on a German fansite who tied this into the main themes.

Despite the wild orange-blue contrast between Rei's color palette and the closes in the LCL, we have them mindlessly smiling and the 'older' incarnations of Rei almost universaly melancholy/sad/pensive.

You might say that the ones in the tank who never experience anything bad, never understand their fucked-up situations have it better than activated!Rei who actually does understand/exprience and is a "bitterly unhappy young girl" as a result, but you could also say that despite her sadness, Rei with her deep ponderings of the world led a much richer, more valuable existence than the vapid, perhaps 'instrumentality like' existence of the clones. Their head contents should be identical, too, since all they "know" (but can't experience as empty shells) is what's loaded into them for the sake of whatever their role in the dummy plug system is.

As a further nuance, you could add how Rei III almost longingly stands infront of the tank with the dead clones, almost wishing she'd desintegrated with them, or could be back in there with them. In any case, the "mass Shinjis" are grinning because the Rei clones are. The picture also shifts to blue soon after the heads shift, forming another orange/blue contrast.

Consider the moment where this happens; Shinji/unit one was just absorbed into the GNR.
Another possibility is that they represent him becoming part of the 'unified entity' foor good.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue May 27, 2014 9:03 am

Y'know we probably wouldn't be having this conversation if Sadamato hadn't reappropriated a FEMALE character design for Shinji.

Anno, is a cruel, cruel God to his creations. . .

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue May 27, 2014 5:36 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Y'know we probably wouldn't be having this conversation if Sadamato hadn't reappropriated a FEMALE character design for Shinji.

It's simply called bishie-ness, a subtler variation perhaps, but it ties into the local beauty ideals

Apparently, Major Louis Armstrong was supposed to be the local variant of vaguely homoerotic.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Wed May 28, 2014 11:26 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:While I'm in general agreement here, note that he was not the only one doing chores. He did most of them, because Misato and Asuka could get away with forcing the issue, but he didn't do all of them. Asuka made lunches (when she yells at him about not making lunches for the day she notes that it was his turn, suggesting that there are times when it's her turn) and Misato . . . well, Misato likely didn't do much, and the kids likely didn't let her due to simple self-preservation. Sometimes you just don't want a housemate making the meals, even if that means they aren't technically contributing.

Didn't one episode have a calendar that showed how the chores were divided up, with Shinji holding the vast majority?

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu May 29, 2014 2:11 pm

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:Didn't one episode have a calendar that showed how the chores were divided up, with Shinji holding the vast majority?

That was episode 02, before Asuka moved in.

Misato & him played rock-paper-scissors over the distribution, and later episodes note that she has been slacking off even with what little she was supposed to do herself.

If that says anything about Shinji, it's that Lady Luck simply doesn't like him.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:00 pm

So the whole point of this thread is to discuss whether or not Shinji is confused about his gender?

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:24 pm

You've posted in it before, so you should know. If you want to talk about it offer a decent post to give people something to reply to.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”