ADV Sues GAINAX for Live Action Movie Rights

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.

Moderator: Board Staff

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Re: I want this to happen, with WETA. Bl

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:54 am

Films of four are called "tetralogy". I don't know why "tetra" is picked over "quad". Maybe it's because scientific and mechanical terminology in English cultures like to use the word "quad" for mobile features, so someone might expect a "quadrology" to have four legs or something.

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:Do not want, to be produced in Japan would mean wooden acting, and something only well known in Japan, as Eva already is.

That's a horrible generalization of Japanese film, which leads me to believe that the only Japanese live-action cinema you've seen is the Godzilla franchise.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:53 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:That's a horrible generalization of Japanese film, which leads me to believe that the only Japanese live-action cinema you've seen is the Godzilla franchise.

Well, a lot of Japanese live drama and movies that have been adapted from anime/manga tend to be that way eventhough the source material is very good (Death Note, Kaiji, Nodame Cantabile, Train Man, 20th Century Boys, etc).

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Postby Alaska Slim » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:28 pm

View Original Postshaneva002 wrote:I hear that BS all the time, SHOW ME officially where they "signed on" to do a trilogy.

ADV announced it in 2006.

Go to Trivialbeing.net, I'm sure it's still archived in there somewhere, or hell, look up virtually any Matt Greenfield interview from 2006-2009 when he was constantly advertising the fact.

View Original Postshaneva002 wrote:Plus ADV was doing the movie,

No, ADV was helping to broker the deal and seemed to have gotten distribution rights, they weren't the ones to make it, they never had the resources.

View Original Postshaneva002 wrote:Yes maybe if PJ signed on as directer

Or Richard Taylor, you know, Co-founder of WETA, who took Hideaki Anno out for a spin on his model train in his back yard?

He's not a director in name, but he's done much of the work of one, and Peter Jackson is far from being the only "named" director at the company either.

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:That's a horrible generalization of Japanese film, which leads me to believe that the only Japanese live-action cinema you've seen is the Godzilla franchise.

I've also seen G-Savior and the first Death Note film. Japan is just as likely to screw their own sh*t up, having it produced there does not promise integrity to the work.

On the other hand, from the way WETA talks it seems they would, hence part of why I'm interested to see what they can do.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

shaneva002
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby shaneva002 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:44 pm

lol "took him for a spin" that doesn't mean squat all rumors nothin official cept your dream team ADV going belly up along with any chance of a movie being made.Matt Greenfield said a lot of stuff and NOTHING came to fruition,deal with it.I can't dig anything up but its ok cause neither can you.I'll leave it at that and be the first one to step down before this turns into some stupid argument over somthing thats never gonna be made and if it does will most likly bomb and just drag the franchise into ground.Sorry for the "almost %$#storm" and cya have a nice day ^^
Internet elitists suck,ya you know who you are.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

I gots the links. B/

Postby Alaska Slim » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:31 pm

View Original Postshaneva002 wrote:lol "took him for a spin" that doesn't mean squat all rumors nothin official cept your dream team ADV going belly up along with any chance of a movie being made

Doubt that, ADV may be gone, but Richard Taylor is still a fan with a plan about it.

Like I said, WETA went to GAINAX, ADV just helped introduce them. And with the box office results Transformers has been giving, it wouldn't be too hard to justify this film.

View Original Postshaneva002 wrote:Matt Greenfield said a lot of stuff and NOTHING came to fruition,deal with it

Fine, but the contract was signed, that's part of what this thread is about.

View Original Postshaneva002 wrote:I can't dig anything up but its ok cause neither can you.

Actually, I can, I was a Trivial Being forum member for two years, the entire purpose there was to watch for developments on this very project.

Here you go. It gets mentioned I believe a little more than halfway in.

It seems something odd is going on with the Trivial Being domain name, so just go here for future reference.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Gecko state
Embryo

Postby Gecko state » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:12 pm

Hollywood ruins everything STAY AWAY from Japanese Animation PLEASE?

gwern
Ireul
Ireul

Postby gwern » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:57 pm

Incidentally, if anyone is wondering what sort of perspective Gainax takes on ADV and its live-action movie-rights (and in particular, what perspective its president takes); Gualtiero 'Shito' Cannarsi* http://eva.onegeek.org/pipermail/evangelion/2005-February/002438.html offers an interesting anecdote:

Actually during a private businnes dinner with Gainax, good old Yamaga
re-interpreted the point with something that suonded much as "they gave us a
lot of money, we gave 'em the franchise. We're very happy with the money,
and we don't give a shit anyway'.

I don't know who to root for anymore.

* I was very surprised to google him and see from his Wikipedia article that, as I thought, he was involved in the Italian Eva releases - and much much more

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

Re: I gots the links. B/

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:03 pm

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:Here you go. It gets mentioned I believe a little more than halfway in.

nice find ! Gotta admit went I first saw the concept art about a year ago I was excited, but know it seems like a far of dream. The film is still in development hell, I was thinking if not wes anderson maybe Guillermo del Toro would be good choices for directors but an unknown would be even better .
here's another greenfield interview if anyone else asks he mentions it in part four or five. [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FompFClU7ww[/url]
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:02 pm

View Original Postgwern wrote:Incidentally, if anyone is wondering what sort of perspective Gainax takes on ADV and its live-action movie-rights (and in particular, what perspective its president takes); Gualtiero 'Shito' Cannarsi* http://eva.onegeek.org/pipermail/evangelion/2005-February/002438.html offers an interesting anecdote:

This Cannarsi guy has real problem with a lot of people:

"The one thing I can't stand even more than an otaku (which is a Japanese personA by definition), is a western nerd calling himself an otaku, possibly as some kind of way to boast his retarded ego."

I am not sure how much to trust his memory of Yamaga's saying ""they gave us a lot of money, we gave 'em the franchise. We're very happy with the money, and we don't give a shit anyway'." At the very least, colorful exaggeration and distortion from what Yamaga actually said is quite possible.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby drinian » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:09 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Films of four are called "tetralogy". I don't know why "tetra" is picked over "quad". Maybe it's because scientific and mechanical terminology in English cultures like to use the word "quad" for mobile features, so someone might expect a "quadrology" to have four legs or something.

AFAIK it's for consistency: both parts of the pormanteau are taken from ancient Greek.
[Became an administrator on July 1st, 2006.]

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Evangelion can be done by the West, in other words. B)

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:55 pm

View Original Postgwern wrote:Incidentally, if anyone is wondering what sort of perspective Gainax takes on ADV and its live-action movie-rights

About what I was expecting really, no different from how they approach their other licenses.

The only part of that which concerns me is Hideaki Anno giving his blessing, and, if its alright with him, it's alright with me.

I'm not saying the man's infallible, only observing that he feels westerners doing the adaptation in-of-itself isn't an offensive thing.

Fireand'chutes77
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Re: Evangelion can be done by the West, in other words. B)

Postby Fireand'chutes77 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:01 pm

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:About what I was expecting really, no different from how they approach their other licenses.

The only part of that which concerns me is Hideaki Anno giving his blessing, and, if its alright with him, it's alright with me.

I'm not saying the man's infallible, only observing that he feels westerners doing the adaptation in-of-itself isn't an offensive thing.

True...

And apparently Spielberg's looking to do a live-action movie of "Ghost in the Shell." I'm looking forward to it with a mix of excitement and trepidation*. If it does well, it might kick off a wave of "adapted from anime" films much in the way the X-Men movie kicked off the last decade's superhero trend. One would hope they would then try to do the "upper 10%" of notable anime series - and Eva is right up there. If it doesn't... Well, I guess we can wait until the superhero trend runs its course.

*IMDb gives a tentative release date of 2011, but I haven't seen any teaser trailers and most of the press releases for it are for 2008/2010. I think it's probably going to come out in 2012, if it doesn't get locked deeper into Development Hell.
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. JSDF attack ships on fire during Operation Yashima. I watched particle beams glitter in the dark near the Geofront. All these moments will be lost in time. Like LCL in rain. Time to die." ~ ANT Pogo
Asuka: founder of

Angel of Will
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Angel of Will » Wed May 23, 2012 1:34 pm

Couldn't get this out of my head so I binged it and it looks like I'm not the only one.

"Reality exists in a place unknown, and dreams exist within reality. And Truth lies in your heart."

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed May 23, 2012 3:53 pm

ADV's a dump. Matt Greenfield is a nobody. Richard Taylor is an effects guy, not a movie producer.

Besides, there's no point for Live Action Evangelion now that Del Toro's PACIFIC RIM is coming out next year.

http://badassdigest.com/2012/05/23/giant-monsters-giant-robots-the-pacific-rim-synopsis-is-here/

Angel of Will
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Angel of Will » Wed May 23, 2012 9:54 pm

GASP!

Evangelion is more than just aliens and mechs! (Though I'll give that Pacific Rim does have some pilot angst in there).

Anyway, my stance is that as long as it's done faithfully to the original show's themes, there's a point to ANYTHING Evangelion.
"Reality exists in a place unknown, and dreams exist within reality. And Truth lies in your heart."

SenorSquiid
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby SenorSquiid » Fri May 25, 2012 7:03 am

So like, isn't merchandising the hell out of Evangelion like the only sound and non-sketchy financial decision Gainax ever made?
fnord

---
I will never stop trashing Magma Diver.
Ever.

CORE
Embryo

We have found Rei for Live action

Postby CORE » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:41 am

http://youtu.be/ncBIu9sESwE

Must be cast as Rei!

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: We have found Rei for Live action

Postby drinian » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:36 pm

View Original PostCORE wrote:http://youtu.be/ncBIu9sESwE

Must be cast as Rei!

Not the right thread for this. Do some searching, I'm pretty sure there's a live-action cast thread out there.

Inspector
Embryo

ADV sues Funimation

Postby Inspector » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:29 pm

[url]http://www.capsulecomputers.com.au/2012/06/adv-sues-funimation-for-illegal-monopolization/[/url] An article dated June 12, 2012. This drama might be the nail in the coffin for the live action flick. More details here too: [url]http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-06-11/adv-files-3rd-party-claim-in-funimation-lawsuit[/url]

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby drinian » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:38 pm

Well, to be fair, Funi was able to survive the industry collapse mostly because it was a subsidiary of the Navarre Corporation, which had other profitable divisions at the time. (They've since changed hands).

But, seriously, considering how Sentai seems to be the only other thriving R1 licensor (except Crunchyroll, who they often share licenses with), why are they even pursuing this? Or is this all part of ADV's obligations to try and recover as much money for their creditors as possible?

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”