Rei has Aspergers / High Functioning Autism / NLD

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Ricky O
Embryo

Rei has Aspergers / High Functioning Autism / NLD

•      
  •      

Postby Ricky O » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:23 pm

Just THROWING THIS OUT THERE.

Bland affect.

Unable to relate to others.

Difficulty with personal space.

Difficulties understanding non-verbal cues.

Lack of perspective on "the big picture."

Seemingly emotionless, emotions at the wrong times.

Sweet and caring deep down (this one's mine).

Okay, so, DISCUSS.

SaVaGe
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby SaVaGe » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:33 pm

A lot of that actually sounds like the manga Kaworu to me.

I've never really considered a legitimate reason for Rei deattachment, other than her being a clone/lack of normality. She was raised for all the wrong reasons..but when you lay it out like that it certainly does add up.
I'm SaVaGe and I am an Evaholic

Ricky O
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ricky O » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:42 pm

She's most definitely not normal, and probably could have endured any number of developmental disabilities. I think it makes sense.

I think EVA would be one of the only animes to actually acknowledge Autism and its forms in any way.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:17 pm

She doesn't have Asperger's. Her autism is far worse/better then that.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Yue
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Yue » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:26 pm

I doubt Rei's psychological state could be defined in terms that mostly refer to Lilin illnesses. She's screwed up because Gendo is the closest she had to a father, she only has half a soul, and oh right that soul belongs to a seed of life.
When I say you are a monster,
When I set fire to your name,
It does not matter where they hear it from,
Whether truth or lies, it gets said all the same!

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:55 pm

I say the way she acts is really because of the living environment she was raised in(?), as well as whatever Gendo was doing to her according to what's her in bathroom cabinet
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:05 pm

Hang on to your hats folks, here we go again.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:55 pm

Oh boy!

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:59 pm

We actually did have a discussion about this here.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Vegeta 20XX
XX0↊ ɐʇǝƃǝɅ

Re: Rei has Aspergers / High Functioning Autism / NLD

•      
  •      

Postby Vegeta 20XX » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:03 am

View Original PostRicky O wrote:Just THROWING THIS OUT THERE.

Bland affect.

Unable to relate to others.

Difficulty with personal space.

Difficulties understanding non-verbal cues.

Lack of perspective on "the big picture."

Seemingly emotionless, emotions at the wrong times.

This really sounds more like my brother than anyone else (though to be fair, he has textbook Asperger's Syndrome). A lot if (if not all) of Rei's psychological dysfunctions could be environmentally based (as opposed to the more or less hardwired dysfunctions of ASDs, a "nurture dysfunction" as opposed to a "natural" one, if you will), or both could occur simutaneously (i.e., her problems could be hardwired, but the environment she was raised in didn't help at all and/or makes this determination ambiguous and difficult).
Avatar: Apophis' shifty-looking gaze as he invades the SGC.
Vegeta 20XX: Actually pixelated, and the self proclaimed "King of the screw up". - Fazmotron
The most awesome thing ever. Seriously.
I witnessed a young girl ohhh about 12 years of age or so fall off a snowbank then proceed to say "Fuck you snowhill that hurt" - Dataprime
For those who put things like "Chuckman x Chuckmen" and "Follower of the Chuckman x Chuckman pairing" in their signatures: All you need is fuck.

Someone
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Someone » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:12 am

Hm, i don't think that Yui had anything like that.
DISCLAIMER: The above statement might or might not be serious.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:17 am

Repopotamus from the other aspie thread (with rewording for certain clarifications):

Monk Ed wrote:Rei strikes me as being too "cool" to be one. Fitting a checklist of characteristics is one thing, but there is a qualitative aspect as well. There's a certain way how to be socially awkward that indicates Aspergers. Maybe if Rei told more jokes that only she understands, spoke in non-sequiturs, or had a tendency to babble on about shit she cares about but nobody else in the room does, it'd be a more convincing case.

I think her diagnosis bends closer towards schizoid than Asperger's, if we're hunting for names to apply.

Also:
Hm, i don't think that Yui had anything like that.

Huh, good point. I'm not sure if AS is purely genetic in origin -- if so, it would suggest that Rei would be one only if Yui was too.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

EvaPilot10
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby EvaPilot10 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:05 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:
....I'm not sure if AS is purely genetic in origin -- if so, it would suggest that Rei would be one only if Yui was too.

AS does have genetic factors but it's not purely genetic in origin. There are several people who don't have AS but have given birth to children who were diagnosed with AS.

Someone
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Someone » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:32 am

View Original PostEvaPilot10 wrote:AS does have genetic factors but it's not purely genetic in origin. There are several people who don't have AS but have given birth to children who were diagnosed with AS.

But cloning = exactly the same DNA.
DISCLAIMER: The above statement might or might not be serious.

EvaPilot10
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby EvaPilot10 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:37 am

View Original PostSomeone wrote:But cloning = exactly the same DNA.

True. But I know a pair of identical twins -one was diagnosed with AS, the other doesn't appear to exhibit any traits of the condition.

EDIT: Since when did Rei have exactly the same DNA as Yui? I thought part of her DNA came from Lilith?

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:04 am

View Original PostEvaPilot10 wrote:EDIT: Since when did Rei have exactly the same DNA as Yui? I thought part of her DNA came from Lilith?

It does. Also, she doesn't have Asperger's...per our resident shrink (Brikhaus) she has schizoid personality disorder if anything, and even that's sketchy given her circumstances and the fact that she's an anime character (and thus necessarily lacks the depth of a real person, no matter how complex she may be by fictional standards).

Don't forget that she's extremely isolated socially and all of four years old. Comparing her to a normal human is...not appropriate.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:37 pm

Rei only appears autistic because her thought process and mannerisms are, more or less, those of an alien being. Trying to judge her by the standards of human social interaction is like trying to judge a dolphin by the same standards.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:26 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:It does.

Debate remains on that. But if AS is not purely genetic then it doesn't matter to this topic anyway.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:41 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Debate remains on that.

Does it? We know Rei is at least partially Lilith, so I don't see how all of her DNA can meaningfully come from Yui. You could argue there was something other than DNA at work there, I suppose, but that seems rather tortuous to me.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Cross of Iron
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Cross of Iron » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:48 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:It does. Also, she doesn't have Asperger's...per our resident shrink (Brikhaus) she has schizoid personality disorder if anything, and even that's sketchy given her circumstances and the fact that she's an anime character (and thus necessarily lacks the depth of a real person, no matter how complex she may be by fictional standards).

Don't forget that she's extremely isolated socially and all of four years old. Comparing her to a normal human is...not appropriate.

Rei is a classic schizoid case. I don't think any character in Eva would have Asperger's, to be honest.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”