Watching Rebuild 1.01 for the first time

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
SilentOne
Embryo

Watching Rebuild 1.01 for the first time

•      
  •      

Postby SilentOne » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:33 am

I'm not new to the Eva series at all- I love Evangelion. However, I kind of got out of the loop for a while and, today, I just happened to decide to watch Rebuild.

I apologize if this has been discussed before on here, but there didn't appear to be any single topic on the issue, so my question is this:

Sachiel is designated as the Fourth Angel in Rebuild, while he was designated Third in the original series. Adam, Lilith, and then Sachiel.

Did I miss something or has there been another angel added before Sachiel and, possibly, Lilith?
Evangelion = win.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Re: Watching Rebuild 1.01 for the first time

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:20 pm

View Original PostSilentOne wrote:
Did I miss something or has there been another angel added before Sachiel and, possibly, Lilith?

Yes. The Third Angel, a regular, but badass adam-based being was inserted before Sachiel. He appears in the prologue of 2.X in an epic battle between two badasses. Why we didn't hear of him earlier is also explained there.
He was nicknamed 'Tunneliel' by the fandom because, well, said prologue involves Tunnels.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:32 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:He was nicknamed 'Tunneliel' by the fandom because, well, said prologue involves Tunnels.

And because Bone-iel sounds stupid.

SilentOne
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SilentOne » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:32 pm

Ohhhh, okay. Thanks for the clarification! ^_^
Evangelion = win.

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:47 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:And because Bone-iel sounds stupid.

SilentOne
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SilentOne » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:34 pm

I remember watching the clip where Mari fought the underground angel, but it didn't even dawn on me that it was a flashback, so. :P

Just finished Rebuild 1. Thought it was alright, albeit the dialogue a bit superfluous in places. Now I gotta find somewhere to watch Rebuild 2 with subs. ;-;
Evangelion = win.

Jornophelanthas
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Jornophelanthas » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:55 am

View Original PostSilentOne wrote:I remember watching the clip where Mari fought the underground angel, but it didn't even dawn on me that it was a flashback, so. :P

Not a flashback. The Third Angel had apparently been kept inside that facility for some time (maybe even years), ever since it was found in an embryonic state somewhere inside a glacier or something. The fight was its attempt to escape.

For reference, Kaji flies out of there just before all hell breaks loose, and he carries the armoured suitcase that he delivers to Gendo later, when he arrives in Tokyo-3.

So, not a flashback.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:17 pm

View Original PostJornophelanthas wrote:Not a flashback. The Third Angel had apparently been kept inside that facility for some time (maybe even years), ever since it was found in an embryonic state somewhere inside a glacier or something. The fight was its attempt to escape.

For reference, Kaji flies out of there just before all hell breaks loose, and he carries the armoured suitcase that he delivers to Gendo later, when he arrives in Tokyo-3.

So, not a flashback.

Yeah, it can't be that far back, since Mari is still wearing bandages on her arm when she arrives in Japan.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:15 pm

This would be correct. The Angels are numbered in the order they are discovered, not in the order in which they wreak havoc/are killed. It's very clear that Tunniel had been in captivity for quite a while, and may be an allusion to Shamshel of the original.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Jornophelanthas
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Jornophelanthas » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:38 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:This would be correct. The Angels are numbered in the order they are discovered, not in the order in which they wreak havoc/are killed. It's very clear that Tunniel had been in captivity for quite a while, and may be an allusion to Shamshel of the original.

I assume you mean Sandalphon, i.e. the one that was gestating inside an active volcano. (The Angel known as Shamshel in NGE was classified as the 5th Angel in Rebuild. In both continuities, Shinji fought this one second.)

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”