First Time

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Animejunkie
Lilith

First Time

•      
  •      

Postby Animejunkie » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:59 am

So I finally got around to watching The first rebuild Blu-Ray which has been sitting around my house for like 2 months now.... and theres just several things i gotta say bout it... one thing is that i think it looks absolutely amazing. The colors and resolution are just amazing. It is clear that this had taken some time and well its easy to see that Anno really wanted to make this the way he wanted it to look. The second thing that i wanted to note is that while i dont really like CGI in general i gotta say that its use in Rebuild though i wouldnt say it was brilliant i think it was very well used to make certain scenes just look the way they should have from the start....

Ive also noticed that Rebuild isnt similar to other movies of animes as in its not really really giving the summary of what happend such as in Death and Rebirth where the story can be kinda of picked up and can be watched on its own as a kind of Primer for the actual show... Ive realized that in a way you kinda do need to be a hardcore eva fan to watch it cause there are small little plot holes that you really dont see in rebuild but if ur a fan u just know whats going when it isnt shown... with what ive seen up to this point, i personally wouldnt suggest rebuild to some one who is just looking for an anime to watch(especially if they havent seen NGE or if they didnt like NGE) I feel that Rebuild was made more for those hardcore fans who just like the NGE plot and want to see how it was meant to be viewed, or for those fanboy people who just like something and because they like something they will stand behind it and, like it or hate it, they will watch it.

Just some side thoughts i had while watching 1.11 i am convinced that i will most definitely be watching the entire series as i assumed i would. Also its probably just my terrible memory but i didnt remember Toyko-3 being so NERV tattoed as in all over the buildings... and again it could just be me but i also dont remember the other NERV symbol if it was there then its just sumthing i never noticed and if it is new i gotta say i really didnt like it... i feel like its something that should just have been left the same no need to change it imo (id like to include a screen shot of the new symbol just so its 100% clear what im talking bout if any one has one can you please link it here)... The last thing i want to note is just how awesome they made Ramiel look... i was also wondering why the angel number have all been shifted up by one number... i feel like its gonna be explained so dont spoil it for me but its just something i was curious about

Thanks for dealing with my sporatic post i was kinda all over the place lol just kinda excited for finally getting to see Rebuild... cant wait for 2.22 and 3.0.... any thoughts and opinions just lemme know i wanna see what every one else thought of 1.11 their first time through... thanks
IS AMAZING.... Better than cotton candy... NO WAY JOSE

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Re: First Time

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:01 pm

View Original PostAnimejunkie wrote:I feel that Rebuild was made more for those hardcore fans who just like the NGE plot and want to see how it was meant to be viewed

HAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I want to die.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Animejunkie
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Animejunkie » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:12 pm

though not very helpful ima assuming ur laughing at me cause something i said is either an actual fact of the anime or that what i said is actually and totally completely false... in either case just a short sentence following the laughter would be most appreciated...

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby oOoOoOo » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:11 pm

There's been much weeping and gnashing of teeth over whether or not Rebuild is awesome or an abomination that defiles the original television series. It's the coolest debate on the forums. Search around the forums for more excitement.

While the first Rebuild movie is gorgeous recreation of the first six television episodes, the second Rebuild movie does things "differently" and some dislike this.
~ O-chan is soooo 2D right now.

Xard
Banned

Re: First Time

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:11 pm

View Original PostAnimejunkie wrote:I feel that Rebuild was made more for those hardcore fans who just like the NGE plot and want to see how it was meant to be viewed

:hahaha:

this was delicious

Personally speaking I think Rebuild is awesome but don't bring that up in this subforum.

Nonoriri
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Nonoriri » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:16 pm

There are hardcore fans that care about Eva's plot?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:04 pm

View Original PostAnimejunkie wrote:in either case just a short sentence following the laughter would be most appreciated...
There's this sticky in this forum, you might have noticed : Since you guys hate Rebuild so much....

2.x has been about as polarizing as Neon Exodus Evangelion -- which is quite good going!
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:10 pm

lurk more animejunkie =P

on a serious note, rebuild revived my interest in the series again, so in that way it succeeded.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:31 pm

I agree with 1.x. It was a very well done theatrical showing/retelling of the first 6 episodes. I am unsure of how to feel about 2.x it's not bad, just different as oOo-kun said. But I think it COULD have been better if it was a bit more faithful to the anime. Mari was an interesting addition though we know next to if not nothing of her at the current time. Asuka seems to be a bit watered down/ diluted version of her original self, but that's mostly due to time constraints. Its 3 or 4 30-45 minute long films not 25/26 half hour long episodes. I won't say it's an abomination, but I think I still personally prefer the anime and EoE. :shrug:
Avatar: Utena and Anthy hawtness <3
-----------------------------------------------------------
XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG: ShinjiSama01
http://shinjisama.wordpress.com/ - Blog
http://otakuno1.deviantart.com/ - Deviant account

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:55 pm

View Original PostGreat Genius Shinji-Sama wrote:I agree with 1.x. It was a very well done theatrical showing/retelling of the first 6 episodes. I am unsure of how to feel about 2.x it's not bad, just different as oOo-kun said.

I'd argue that "bad" and "different" are not mutually exclusive - and have, but that doesn't really belong in this thread as far as I can tell.

View Original PostGreat Genius Shinji-Sama wrote:But I think it COULD have been better if it was a bit more faithful to the anime.

This I don't agree with. For all 2.22's failings, it is in many ways the product of an attempt to cram the events of the ENTIRE action arc (7-14) and most of the descent arc (15-21) into a two-hour movie. As I've observed before, one might almost theorize that Anno decided his primary objective for the plot was to move almost all the major plot points and characters to where they were at the end of their Descent character arcs - Shinji is in a mood to destroy the world to satisfy himself, Asuka is incapacitated and headfucked, Rei is ready to sacrifice everything for Shinji's happiness - Unit 00 is destroyed, Unit 02 in no shape for Asuka to pilot it even if she could, Unit 01 is one step away from divinity. If that was 2.22's goal, it accomplished it - but to accomplish that it had to rush through so many plot developments that it had to sacrifice the importance of almost every one of them. At some point in the script-writing process, I'll hypothesize, someone realized this and started adding elements designed to set 2.22's plot apart from a mere rush-job adaptation - everything Mari, everything Kaworu, the aquarium, the god-awful dinner subplot - but too late. I would rather have seen something that completely ditched the plot outline of the series, so long as it did justice to its own characters and plot. Who cares if you have Sahaquiel and Bardiel and Zeruel in there, or Shinji leaving NERV again, and so on? The Angels' only function is to highlight elements of character and plot that wouldn't be obvious otherwise - Anno clearly noticed this, since he saw fit to collapse Arael into Bardiel and Armisael into Zeruel, but in my opinion he didn't go far enough.

As it is, Rebuild 2.22 is too wishy-washy. It never deviates far enough from the original story to stand on its own, but it doesn't stick close enough to the original to be evaluated on the same merits. Someday I'll post my Rerebuild synopses, if I can ever make them not suck - since I started working on these, I can kind of see where Khara are running into difficulties.

View Original PostGreat Genius Shinji-Sama wrote:Mari was an interesting addition though we know next to if not nothing of her at the current time. Asuka seems to be a bit watered down/ diluted version of her original self, but that's mostly due to time constraints. Its 3 or 4 30-45 minute long films not 25/26 half hour long episodes. I won't say it's an abomination, but I think I still personally prefer the anime and EoE. :shrug:

Episodes are 20 minutes, by the way (22-23 if you include OP and ED). But in the first two hours of Asuka's appearance in the show - episodes 08 through 13 - we've established a hell of a lot more about her than Rebuild did. We just haven't advanced nearly as far in the show's plot, because that's what Rebuild is concerned with - advancement of the plot. I think that was a poor choice on Anno's part, to be perfectly honest.

I like to think of the relationship between Rebuild and NGE as the relationship between NGE's Rei and Lilith: Rei on her own seems like a strong person, until close examination reveals that her strength is something of an illusion brought on only by her inability to relate to normal people. Despite this, in the end she pulls through far more than anyone else around her and winds up making a much better choice than her ostensibly normal peers...but when brought into proximity to Lilith, as she inevitably has to be, she loses her shape and ultimately what few human attributes she had.

Stick that in your C. S. Lewis pipe and smoke it
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Lucretius » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:08 pm

1.xx was a bland rehash of the first six episodes. 2.xx was an incoherent clusterfuck that can't decide if it wants to be Batman Begins or Star Wars Special Edition.

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:26 pm

This thread started off okay but then it reached a DERP of HERP on my HURRDURR meter.

Rebuild 1.0 is an enjoyable rehash of the first six episodes
Rebuild 2.0 is Anno and Khara forgetting how screenplay structure works.

Animejunkie wrote:I feel that Rebuild was made more for those hardcore fans who just like the NGE plot and want to see how it was meant to be viewed

This statement better not be implying that 2.0 has a coherent narrative.

If it is, prepare for one dirty motherfucker of a text wall that serves as an entire rehash of what I said in the other thread everyone is so quick to hate upon.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

Animejunkie
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Animejunkie » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:26 pm

[/quote]This statement better not be implying that 2.0 has a coherent narrative.

I may have forgotten to mention but i think i did that i still havent watched 2.x yet so i dont get this whole bad plot thing yet and i will get around to that...

my opinions on the rebuild that ive stated thus far are only from 1.X. I did not mean to cause such a rucus by stating opinions on rebuild as a whole... i have not seen 2.x so i didnt really get that whole plot all over the place thing... all i really wanted to say was that i liked how everything looked visually... im not really watching this for the story cause i already know how that goes this is jsut so i can see eva in a newly better drawn/colored way. I will still stand behind my thoughts that 1.x was a pretty good recap of the first 6 episodes and when i see 2.0 i will possibly have a changed opinion.... I did ask for peoples opinions on 1.11 the first time they watched it not on the rebuild as a whole though... so please if u want to bash 2.x dont bash here.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:28 pm

You ballsed up the quote tags there a little.

And no, Rebuild isn't really a good recap, because it changes plot and character around to suit its own ends.

Chrad
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Chrad » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:03 pm

I thought 1.0 was pretty rushed. It felt very surface level, which is a shame when it was covering an arc that was all about immersive atmosphere and gradual character development.
Though I will say from Ramiel's appearance onwards it's fucking amazing.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:53 pm

View Original PostoOoOoOo wrote:There's been much weeping and gnashing of teeth over whether or not Rebuild is awesome or an abomination that defiles the original television series.

In my honest to Yui-sama opinion, it's both. It defiles many intestinal tracts' worth of feces out of the quirky show we adore. But at the same time, the new creative energies pouring out of the original team (and the various newcomers) is invigorating.

I don't necessarily think these are going to be great movies in and of themselves. A lot of us have been expecting a much more where it really counts. Is it okay if the films end up amounting to little more than guilty pleasures for NGE enthusiasts?

(1.0 wasn't very compelling for me -- some of the Ramiel stuff reaches awesome levels, but the rest is pretty drab. I'm not sure 2.0 really holds my attention in its entirety, but there's a lot more in there I find compelling enough for repeated viewing.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Chrad
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Chrad » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:57 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:I don't necessarily think these are going to be great movies in and of themselves. A lot of us have been expecting a much more where it really counts. Is it okay if the films end up amounting to little more than guilty pleasures for NGE enthusiasts?

Not really. It's a pretty big waste of the considerable talents of Anno and co.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:14 pm

View Original PostChrad wrote:Not really. It's a pretty big waste of the considerable talents of Anno and co.

I guess it boils down to this for me: I'm GLAD the films exist (as opposed to not), because a lot of the stuff in there is cinematically and conceptually awesome, and a real treat overall. (GRAPPLING CLITORIS-NOSED SKY HOMUNCULE, FUCK YEAH!!!) Are the blah story and characterizations sources of severe disappointment? Hell yes.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

shinji_ryoji_89
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby shinji_ryoji_89 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:30 pm

I think that both Rebuild films, especially 2.22 are great films in their own right. I don't like comparing them to the series because even though they take on the same story, they are both working on different mediums and I think it's very evident that they are trying to take it on a whole new direction. It's very hard for me to consider them simple guilty pleasures because I really do enjoy these films. I find a lot of value in them. And both just get better on repeat viewings. And I'll just disagree that the stories and characterizations are mediocre, I really don't think they are.

I really cannot make a final judgement on them and how they compare to the original series until it's all over, though. For me, the strongest point of NGE was EoE, that was the true and final payoff in intellectual and emotional ways. If it can match up to that or even surpass it, I'd be very happy.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:05 am

Probably, a lot of us are on the "mediocre" boat because NME so far lacks something that was crucial in our adoration of NGE, and it ends up being a mostly visual (rather than emotional) experience that just supplements interest in the original. "Y'know, there isn't a whole lot other than the artistry and surface-level connections to NGE to keep me interested in this. If the movies were my first exposure to the franchise, I probably wouldn't get reeled in."

If one does not face this particular conundrum, then the new movies will probably be much more satisfying on their own.

Opinions are all over the map, and, being opinions, naturally they're all right. :tongue:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”