Is it worth it?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Animejunkie
Lilith

Is it worth it?

•      
  •      

Postby Animejunkie » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:32 am

So i just read a handful of threads about Rebuild and saw there is a lot of both negative and positive feed back... and a lot of negative. So i was wondering if any one could tell me if it is worth it to buy the 2.22 Blu ray from the hong kong release or should i just wait for it to come out in the states. Namely are there any differences in the two releases.
IS AMAZING.... Better than cotton candy... NO WAY JOSE

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:15 pm

Take your pick, you can get the Hong Kong version which has passable English subtitles for over $40, or you can wait... what... another year (?) for the domestic release which will have a better subtitle translation (as well as a dub) for about $10 less. Keep in mind, fansubs do exist. Just make sure you pick yup a legitimate release at some point so the creators are profiting from their effort.

I was debating getting the Hong Kong version. But every time I consider it, I think "Now why would I do that, it's not like I can't just watch my fansub between now and the domestic release".

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:03 pm

Or the german blu-ray for 21€...

http://www.amazon.de/Evangelion-2-22--You-advance-Blu-ray/dp/B00377IRUS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287079394&sr=8-1

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Re: Is it worth it?

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:13 pm

View Original Postqu4d wrote:Or the german blu-ray for 21€...

http://www.amazon.de/Evangelion-2-22--You-advance-Blu-ray/dp/B00377IRUS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287079394&sr=8-1

What's the point in that? It doesn't have English subtitles, and it's not in the same region.

View Original PostAnimejunkie wrote:i was wondering if any one could tell me if it is worth it to buy the 2.22 Blu ray from the hong kong release

This might be useful:

http://www.animeinblu.com/?p=1002

Disc type:
Germany: BD50
Hong Kong: BD25
Japan: BD50

Video:
Germany: MPEG-4 AVC Video 29977 kbps 1080p / 23,976 fps / 16:9 / High Profile 4.1
Hong Kong: MPEG-4 AVC Video 19998 kbps 1080p / 23,976 fps / 16:9 / High Profile 4.1
Japan: MPEG-4 AVC Video 31824 kbps 1080p / 23,976 fps / 16:9 / High Profile 4.1

I don't know if you're a stickler for video. The Hong Hong release has English Subs, and is in the same region, but it has a considerably lower video bit rate. I don't know how noticeable it is, but it is worth noting. You get less. Also, it's a shot in the dark as to what the Funimation release will be like.

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:33 pm

but it less than 40$ :P

Animejunkie
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Animejunkie » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:35 pm

well actually the german release would work for me as i am born and raised in germany so it would be just as good for me

Keep in mind, fansubs do exist. Just make sure you pick yup a legitimate release at some point so the creators are profiting from their effort.

also could u point me in the direction of one of these fan subs as i cannot seem to find one... fansubs are up to 3.0 no?

And lastly about waiting yea thats exactly what i was thinking... i can just wait it out i mean really a year isnt that bad... its more of i havent seen any of rebuild at this point in time and i would like to catch up on it... im too busy watching other things that arnt eva... clearly theres a problem with me =P
Last edited by Animejunkie on Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:39 pm

View Original PostAnimejunkie wrote:well actually the german release would work for me as i am born and raised in germany so it would be just as good for me

bazinga! :D

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:09 pm

View Original PostAnimejunkie wrote:also could u point me in the direction of one of these fan subs as i cannot seem to find one...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=evangelion+2.22+torrent

View Original PostAnimejunkie wrote:fansubs are up to 3.0 no?

Nope, a theatrical release date for 3.0 and/or Final have not yet been released. We're still waiting.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:57 pm

^
I thought that piracy was against the rules.

I own the german blu-ray of 2.22 too.
The german subtitles are surprisingly gut.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:16 pm

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:^
I thought that piracy was against the rules.

There's a difference between saying "Here's how to get something", or "Here's where to get something" and saying "Google, it's your best friend".

It's pretty basic stuff.

Animejunkie
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Animejunkie » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:58 pm

just as a side note i do plan on purchasing it reguardless when it comes to america... ive already just ordered my 1.11 on blu ray and wanted to know if i should wait to get, or just get 2.22 now.

I own the german blu-ray of 2.22 too. The german subtitles are surprisingly gut.

is it only subtitles or does it have a german dub to it? i mean either way its fine id just rather listen to it in german if i can... and i know german wont be on the american release as an audio option.

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:25 pm

View Original PostAnimejunkie wrote:just as a side note i do plan on purchasing it reguardless when it comes to america... ive already just ordered my 1.11 on blu ray and wanted to know if i should wait to get, or just get 2.22 now.
is it only subtitles or does it have a german dub to it? i mean either way its fine id just rather listen to it in german if i can... and i know german wont be on the american release as an audio option.

Well, I looked on that website and it does show both a German dub and Subtitles.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:26 pm

View Original PostAnimejunkie wrote:is it only subtitles or does it have a german dub to it? i mean either way its fine id just rather listen to it in german if i can... and i know german wont be on the american release as an audio option.

Be careful about the region code, where did you purchase your player? If you're player has been manufactured for the American marked then probably it will be locked to region A and then it won't play the German release since according to animeinblu it's region locked to B. Of course this isn't a problem if you're using a PC equipped with a BD unit or if your player is region free (I use the PS3 and I'm not sure if there are already region free standalone BD players out there).
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Animejunkie
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Animejunkie » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:38 pm

i should be able to play it as most of my electronics come directly from germany so i really dont think thats gonna be a problem

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:59 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote: It doesn't have English subtitles, and it's not in the same region.

Region is not an issue. BR are nearly never region locked.

insomniac
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby insomniac » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:17 pm

View Original PostJinroh wrote:Region is not an issue. BR are nearly never region locked.

That is supposely so, but in reality, a lot of them are. Especially the newer films. The Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Korean editions of 2.22 are all Region A.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:26 am

German dub of 2.22:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVoIaZ4ZLuI

I fell off my seat when I heard Misato speaking.

The german dub is pretty bad.

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:28 am

Bad? It´s actually pretty good.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:46 pm

View Original Postqu4d wrote:Bad? It´s actually pretty good.

Not if you can recognize the Voice Actors from other shows that aren´t even half serious.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:10 pm

View Original PostJinroh wrote:Region is not an issue. BR are nearly never region locked.

insomniac wrote:That is supposely so, but in reality, a lot of them are. Especially the newer films. The Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Korean editions of 2.22 are all Region A.

And as I've mentioned before according to that site linked by Evamonkey the German release is Region B so one living in America should be careful (just like a guy living in the U.K. should be careful before importing the H.K. edition and possibly the future Funanimation one if it's region locked).
InstrumentalityOne wrote:The german dub is pretty bad.

Dubs are always bad.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”