Thrice: Pat on the Head?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
NightComesOn
Embryo

Thrice: Pat on the Head?

•      
  •      

Postby NightComesOn » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:19 pm

In 3.0+1.0 there are two instances in which a character discusses the idea of being patted on the head. That got me thinking, and now I have questions.

Before Shinji goes to confront Gendo, Misato tells him that the only things a son can do for his father are to kill him or to pat him on the head.
During Asuka's instrumentality her child-self plaintively declares that she just wants someone who will pat her on the head.

Is that parallel a product of translation, or does it appear in the original Japanese?
Is it a common idiom in Japanese, and does it have any particular connotations in Japanese not present in other languages?
Does the echo mean anything, or is it just a coincidence?

dzzthink
Shamshel
Shamshel

Re: Thrice: Pat on the Head?

•      
  •      

Postby dzzthink » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:18 pm

The version I watched was Misato saying "pat on the shoulder". Similar concept though as it has to do with the need for acceptance

EDIT: just want to add that pat on head and pat on shoulder have completely different meanings so it's interesting to think about
"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible but not everything is constructive." - 1 Corinthians 10:23

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:27 pm

Head pats are a very common theme in anime. Usually it's a female character wanting a head pat from a boyfriend or father figure character. I must have seen it scores of times.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Turismo030650
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Turismo030650 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:44 pm

View Original PostNightComesOn wrote:In 3.0+1.0 there are two instances in which a character discusses the idea of being patted on the head. That got me thinking, and now I have questions.

Before Shinji goes to confront Gendo, Misato tells him that the only things a son can do for his father are to kill him or to pat him on the head.
During Asuka's instrumentality her child-self plaintively declares that she just wants someone who will pat her on the head.

Is that parallel a product of translation, or does it appear in the original Japanese?
Is it a common idiom in Japanese, and does it have any particular connotations in Japanese not present in other languages?
Does the echo mean anything, or is it just a coincidence?

Go see gendo ikari met a guy called itachi uchiha hahahah but that's just me inventing something more off the shoulder and in the head there are different concepts
A somewhat emo boy Normal Young I still have a lot to learn, I work hard and I dream of going to college and making my dreams come true Always thinking positive and persisting in my dream I like games I love my favorite band Green Day I like Nirvana tree days grace Also Queen the Beatles Legião Urbana And general good rock

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”