Bootleg DVDs

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
ombamba
Embryo

Bootleg DVDs

•      
  •      

Postby ombamba » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:47 pm

I bought a Collection 0:1 DVD off eBay, I'm wondering if its bootleg. Are there any common traits that would indicate if it is?
:3

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

Re: Bootleg DVDs

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:47 pm

Well.

Back in the day, and I'm saying this because I have no idea how old the (presumably) DVDs you bought are, pirated CDs and DVDs would have a purple or blue gradient on the underside, that is, the one without the cover, because original ones, written with industrial machinery and not home equipment, were white/silver. I specifically recall this applied to bootleg movies and PS1/PS2 games and probably still does to this day, since purple ones were the DVD-R or DVD-RWs available to buy at supermarkets and all. After that, the quality of printed materials like documents, the DVD box/case and the DVD cover itself. Also, the box for pirated media was usually smaller, much thinner, and of softer and lower quality plastic.

Superblunt
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Superblunt » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:55 am

I bought a bootleg copy of End of Evangelion, and how I noticed it was bootleg by how low quality the print of the cover and on the DVD was. I mean I was already suspicious when it was sold brandnew and sealed for 30 bucks lol. But I took the gamble. Now I own a used original copy of EoE and I can tell the difference.

ombamba
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ombamba » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:42 pm

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:Well.

Back in the day, and I'm saying this because I have no idea how old the (presumably) DVDs you bought are, pirated CDs and DVDs would have a purple or blue gradient on the underside, that is, the one without the cover, because original ones, written with industrial machinery and not home equipment, were white/silver. I specifically recall this applied to bootleg movies and PS1/PS2 games and probably still does to this day, since purple ones were the DVD-R or DVD-RWs available to buy at supermarkets and all. After that, the quality of printed materials like documents, the DVD box/case and the DVD cover itself. Also, the box for pirated media was usually smaller, much thinner, and of softer and lower quality plastic.

I'm still not sure, I'm sure the case is fake(almost all of my Eva dvds have fake cases). But I'm still not sure about the disc.
The back is like a golden yellow, I heard it's a common trait of older bootleg disc's.
:3

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”