German Dub, anyone?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

It's great to hear that voice acting communities in Germany and other countries are putting a greater effort into making respectable anime dubs, but I'm still iffy about keeping the undubbed screams. That just strikes me as bizarre, and it's not something I would do. Your dub actors should be making those roles their own, not relying on the Japanese actors to pad out their performances. I hope that doesn't sound too dismissive, but that's my philosophy. Even if they can't scream quite as well as the originals, I think it's important to have them scream, so the performance is their own.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:08 am

They dubbers use their own screams, not the Japanese ones. At least I never noticed something like this before o_O

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:56 am

Oh, the Naruto dub was horrible for very different reasons than the pronunciation. They had a 50something voice Itachi, who's 17 or so in part 1, they dumbed everything down and don't forget the censorship -
Keeping original screams and stuff in would be incredibly lazy. If we wanted to hear stuff that sounds like Japanese ppl, we'd watch it subbed.
They kept the honorifics in Rebuild, yeah, but they feel sorta out of place and probably alienate new fans. And they were unable to pronounce any of them, tough they did get better at it in 2.0.

Actually the dub of the Anime seemedd to have much more emotion and fitting intonation - The rebuild ones sound either horibly overdone (Misato) (exept, pf course, for the guys that returnedf), or infuriatingly half-assed. (Asuka, Rei. )
And Mari's was... wtf? This is the same horrible voice actress that ruined Mariko of Elfen Lied for me.... Yeah, Mariko's a villainess, but she's meant top be an inocent child that doesn't know that ripping ppl to shreds is wrong, not some cheeky brat. ...
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

JC Denton
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby JC Denton » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:44 am

say no to [s:3s66pxhz]drugs[/s:3s66pxhz] dubs!
no sig

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:53 am

View Original PostJC Denton wrote:say no to [s]drugs[/s] dubs!

Productive and insightful. Thank you for contributing to this discussion.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:13 pm

I'm not against dubs per se and I don't see anything inherently wrong with them, tough. It's just that some suck and others are good.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Kevin
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kevin » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:53 pm

View Original Postqu4d wrote:They dubbers use their own screams, not the Japanese ones. At least I never noticed something like this before o_O

Shinji vs. Shamshel

Misato when she drinks her beer

Shinji destorys the controls of his entry plug while trying to resuce Rei at the end of 2.22
It all returns to nothing

JC Denton
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby JC Denton » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:29 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:I'm not against dubs per se and I don't see anything inherently wrong with them, tough. It's just that some suck and others are good.

no, all of them suck

only the original is genuine, and there's not even the possibility of a discussion about that fact

A: only the original has the correct voices
B: only the original is the version intended by the director
C: every translation is a mistranslation

hence, if you haven't seen the Japanese version of Evangelion, you have not seen it AT ALL!
no sig

Kevin
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kevin » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:32 pm

View Original PostJC Denton wrote:no, all of them suck

only the original is genuine, and there's not even the possibility of a discussion about that fact

A: only the original has the correct voices
B: only the original is the version intended by the director
C: every translation is a mistranslation

hence, if you haven't seen the Japanese version of Evangelion, you have not seen it AT ALL!

And how will you understand the Japanese without subs or learning Japanese which both would break your "Rule C"
It all returns to nothing

Kodaemon
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Kodaemon » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:34 pm

Jesus Christ JC!

I prefer subs myself, since yes, I feel it's better to hear the original, intended actors, but you're pushing this to absurdity. If every translation is a mistranslation, then the only way to see Eva would be to learn Japanese, since subs are also not 100% accurate.
just a signature

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:36 pm

View Original PostJC Denton wrote:Weeaboo bullshit

Someone's cruisin' for a bruisin'!! And by "bruisin'" I hopefully mean stern warning and/or ban! And by "cruisin'" I mean blatantly trolling.
Last edited by gatotsu911 on Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:55 pm

This isn't a dub vs sub thread. Stick to the topic.

JC Denton
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby JC Denton » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:11 am

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:Someone's cruisin' for a bruisin'!! And by "bruisin'" I hopefully mean stern warning and/or ban! And by "cruisin'" I mean blatantly trolling.

/ignore

because you're an idiot

sorry, but dub monkeys raise the urge to kill in me >:-(

@kodaemon

absolutely true

but 2 out of 3 points still apply
no sig

Plushy_Rei
Embryo

Re: German Dub, anyone?

•      
  •      

Postby Plushy_Rei » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:14 pm

i really enjoyed the old german dubs, and now that i want to rewatch the movies, i cant help but be annoyed at amazon for changing literaly EVERY sentence. Please, for the love of all that is holy, tell me where i can watch the old dub.

Yes, i am desperate.
Yes, i want to hear Mari sing "jeder sucht das Glück" and not some Jap stuff that i dont understand
Yes, i want to stop myself from criticizing and mentally correcting every word i hear
help

Superblunt
Embryo

Re: German Dub, anyone?

•      
  •      

Postby Superblunt » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:08 am

Afaik the new Blu-ray editions have both dubs, the universum dub, from when it originally came out on DVD, and the new Amazon dub. Btw, the new Amazon dub has all the NGE cast back, which the universum dub didn't. Although the voice actors are audibly older. Except Misato's VA, she still has the sweetest voice (I couldn't stand the original Rebuild Misato).

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”