Is the "Curse of Eva" concept present in the original anime series?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
fukunia
Embryo

Is the "Curse of Eva" concept present in the original anime series?

•      
  •      

Postby fukunia » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:51 am

I was wondering about that. It is surely a confusing concept. I wonder if the original series also has it.
I didn't know if I should post on the rebuild category or the anime category, because it includes both versions of evangelion. Sorry for bad english.

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: Is the "Curse of Eva" concept present in the original anime series?

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:07 am

It is not, no.
There's some things in the early drafts that the Curso of Eva has very clearly evolved out of, but nothing of the sort was included in the final product.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:45 am

In the sense of not growing up, no. One can make all sorts of reasons outside the narrative why it was added in the rebuilds.

But there was a more abstract sense in which once inside the secret, you could never escape the burden of knowing.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:09 am

Yes, you can probably say that for most of NGE it applied to the kids too. While the curse of Eva per se as it exists in the rebuilds is handwaved as a side-effect of piloting, or the LCL, or something vague to that effect, in NGE there always was a pretty evident metaphor for the Evas as somewhat infantilizing, of the entry plugs as metaphoric wombs, and the maternal associations and imagery were all over the place. Shinji and Asuka and Rei are in a way freed from the Evas. Shinji says goodbye to his mother and father and makes peace with the latter, Asuka realizes she wasn't abandoned, but likewise has an instrumentality of her own and decides to move on to the big bad world. Rei becomes a god thingy though we have discussed before that it doesn't preclude her from attaining humanity either.

In NTE we have a brief mention of Yui being the "control mechanism" for Eva 01 and... that's kinda it? While we can (probably?) assume the same for Eva 00 and Rei's splintered soul (inb4 it's akshually Naoko), there's no Kyoko for Unit 02, so, I'm not sure what we're supposed to draw there, except perhaps Yui in 01 was retained for more narrative purposes. Many maternal scenes are removed, some aren't, so we have to rely more on the Curse of Eva in a more meta sense.

Throughout the years of fandom, many old theories and particularly doujins (and we know Anno draws from at least the latter) played with this idea. I recall one non-H doujin had the pilots not aging too, and another, uhhh, had it dissolve their pubes indefinitely, specifically due to the effects of LCL.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”