Who's face was used for EVA Imaginary?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

Who's face was used for EVA Imaginary?

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:21 pm

I just got the 3.0+1.11 BD and I watched through the "Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0+1.0" making-of featurette and I still have no idea how they even made something so goddamn scary and jarring as EVA Imaginary, specifically the giant floating Rei head version of it. Lookin like an edgy late 2000s Xbox 360 reboot of Angela Anaconda.
In some of the shots without the dozens of layers of CG over it [all of which are somehow even more terrifying than in the final cut of the film], the face looks like it's a 3D model or a digitized doll's face, but in other, it's clearly real footage of a human face complete with film artifacts.

I did a comparison between a few of the less-touched-up shots from the Rebuild making of, and so far I've ruled out the Japanese voice actresses of most of the EVA pilots and Moyoco Anno [Hideaki Anno's wife]. Megumi Ogata [Shinji VA] is a maybe, but the nose doesn't quite match up. Between all of them it's really hard to tell because Imaginary has her eyes WAY open, so it makes it harder just comparing with casual photos of these people. The strangest part is both the doll shots and the fact that the face looks very young, like 8-15 years old

So do we know who's face was used for EVA Imaginary? Or is it ALL CG??

If you need it, here's a tweet compiling all the shots of Imaginary from Rebuild 3.0+1.0: https://twitter.com/GhostlyOcam/status/ ... 5367000069
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

Superblunt
Embryo

Re: Who's face was used for EVA Imaginary?

•      
  •      

Postby Superblunt » Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:44 am

Looking at the incomplete shots, I think it would've worked way better without the final digital touch-up. Making her look more like live action would be so right up Evangelion's alley, and reminiscent of the live action shots in EoE. It just looks so much cheaper with the CGI make-up.

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:56 am

Maybe AI?
Après moi le déluge!

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:24 am

No, that was definitely handmodeled CGI. Especially back then, there's no GAN capable of making that level or organic detail actually look good
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:10 am

View Original PostAdamMalkovitch wrote:Lookin like an edgy late 2000s Xbox 360 reboot of Angela Anaconda.

More like a mid 2000s PS2 game tbh...

Blockio wrote:Especially back then

That movie is two years old and we're already saying things like this... Damn, things are moving fast :bigeyes:
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:18 am

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:That movie is two years old and we're already saying things like this... Damn, things are moving fast :bigeyes:

For better or worse, two years makes a lot of difference in the training of LLMs/GANs at current
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”