Rebuild fan commentary?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
BoogerPoo2002
Embryo

Rebuild fan commentary?

•      
  •      

Postby BoogerPoo2002 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:29 pm

Are Reichu and the others willing to do a fan geek commentary of all four Rebuild of Evangelion films, with subtitle translations that are accurate as possible? If there is a Rebuild FGC already with accurate translations, please let me know.

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: Rebuild fan commentary?

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:37 pm

Reichu is no longer involved with any of the Evageeks projects. If you want more of her stuff, you can find it here.

As for the FGC, there are currently no plans of extending it even to span the full series. The project is unfortunately more time and labour intensive than feasible to do the whole series with who we currently have working on it
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

BoogerPoo2002
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby BoogerPoo2002 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:57 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:Reichu is no longer involved with any of the Evageeks projects. If you want more of her stuff, you can find it here.

As for the FGC, there are currently no plans of extending it even to span the full series. The project is unfortunately more time and labour intensive than feasible to do the whole series with who we currently have working on it

Is there at least any plans to make subtitles for the four movies that are as accurate as possible?

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:32 pm

That's pretty much the official subs in the latest releases. Those were done by professional, in-house translators; they have knowledge and access to production material that most of us here couldn't even dream of. The amount of things that might realistically need changing are in the single digits pretty much.
The days of dubious ADV subs are thankfully over, and what we currently have is so close to definitive that it doesn't justify the tremendous effort of making a new subtitle track for all of them
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:44 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:That's pretty much the official subs in the latest releases. Those were done by professional, in-house translators; they have knowledge and access to production material that most of us here couldn't even dream of. The amount of things that might realistically need changing are in the single digits pretty much.
The days of dubious ADV subs are thankfully over, and what we currently have is so close to definitive that it doesn't justify the tremendous effort of making a new subtitle track for all of them

To be fair, as the Prime English sub and the Prime English sub [cc] have differences, it is difficult to say these subs are so good.

Also, it isn't really good that the Prime English sub are literally the Prime English dub. So the meaning can be sacrificed to make the words sound good.

PS: I agree that the effort for more accurate subtitles would be too much. I just want to point that the Prime subtitles are so good either.

BoogerPoo2002
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby BoogerPoo2002 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:02 pm

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:
View Original PostBlockio#934550 wrote:That's pretty much the official subs in the latest releases. Those were done by professional, in-house translators; they have knowledge and access to production material that most of us here couldn't even dream of. The amount of things that might realistically need changing are in the single digits pretty much.

To be fair, as the Prime English sub and the Prime English sub [cc] have differences, it is difficult to say these subs are so good.

Also, it isn't really good that the Prime English sub are literally the Prime English dub. So the meaning can be sacrificed to make the words sound good.

PS: I agree that the effort for more accurate subtitles would be too much. I just want to point that the Prime subtitles are so good either.

I know a little bit of Japanese, and sometimes, the subtitles translate wrongly to what is said on screen. For instance, at the beginning of 1.0, the English subtitles say "Nuts." when Shinji says "Damedayo"(It's no good) in Japanese. Also, in 3.0 + 1.0, Rei can be heard saying "Ikari-kun ga sukidakara" which should mean "Because we like you, Ikari", while the subtitles say "Because we like you".

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:07 pm

View Original PostBoogerPoo2002 wrote:
View Original PostKonja7#934554 wrote:

I know a little bit of Japanese, and sometimes, the subtitles translate wrongly to what is said on screen. For instance, at the beginning of 1.0, the English subtitles say "Nuts." when Shinji says "Damedayo"(It's no good) in Japanese. Also, in 3.0 + 1.0, Rei can be heard saying "Ikari-kun ga sukidakara" which should mean "Because we like you, Ikari", while the subtitles say "Because we like you".

Well, no sub is ever going to be one for one, that's part of localization. It comes down to weather the subs convey the meaning of dialogue without straying into inserting jokes or lines that were never there like old subs/dubs used to. In both examples you use, I still think the meaning of the lines are intact, although the "nuts" line might be pushing it a little.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:08 pm

View Original PostBoogerPoo2002 wrote:Also, in 3.0 + 1.0, Rei can be heard saying "Ikari-kun ga sukidakara" which should mean "Because we like you, Ikari", while the subtitles say "Because we like you".

Assuming that it’s normal for Japanese people to say the person’s name rather than saying the equivalent word for “you” -- as it's considered rude -- it’s unnecessary to put “Ikari” in the translation, so Ikari = you. As for the “nuts” one, i don't know.

It is also necessary to remember that there’s an adaptation in the script for dub, in order to be compatible with the mouth flaps, which obviously reflects in CC subs.
However, I believe you want as literal a translation as possible.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:47 pm

View Original PostBoogerPoo2002 wrote:a fan geek commentary of all four Rebuild of Evangelion films.
Volunteers creating the framework (images, cuts, dialog) would always be welcome.

That would also be true of End of Evangelion, which is a major omission from the existing project. At one point there were outline pages for One More Final, but those seem to have been lost to time.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:51 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:That would also be true of End of Evangelion, which is a major omission from the existing project. At one point there were outline pages for One More Final, but those seem to have been lost to time.

IIRC, all the cuts from the commentary pages were uploaded to the wiki's commentary page using a bot. To this day, I have no idea why the bot didn't upload the pages for End of Evangelion, because those were indeed meant to be a part of the commentary project (Along with Death & Rebirth). There was even a segment of Episode 26' that landed up being translated.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”