about the pilots being mentally/psychologically enginnered

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

Re: about the pilots being mentally/psychologically enginnered

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:09 am

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:Also, I'm not sure if Shinji is really engineering.

There has been a lot of discussion on the forums here over the years about just what happened to Shinji in the Artificial Evolution Lab. I haven't read all of these linked discussions; I wonder if this forum has a consensus on what happened in the Lab or if it's all speculation.

Edit: Sorry I didn't make it clear in my first post in this thread, but the connection I'm drawing is that a lot of NERV procedures involve submerging subjects in LCL or dipping them into a core, so it makes sense to me that if these procedures happened to infant Shinji at the Artificial Evolution Lab, he would be unconsciously reminded of them as a teenager by an ordinary bath.

deepseawaterport
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby deepseawaterport » Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:38 am

View Original PostSEELE-01 wrote:But we see direct confirmation that Shinji is born naturally.
Maybe his memories are manipulated here and there, but his personality, as far as we can tell is his own...

I agree. But don't you find strange how his hair didn't grow while he was inside Eva 01, while Rei's hair grew?

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:05 am

View Original Postdeepseawaterport wrote:I agree. But don't you find strange how his hair didn't grow while he was inside Eva 01, while Rei's hair grew?

Shinji's body dissolved in LCL when he merged with Eva-01, so it's not so weird that his hair didn't grow out. That's why Shinji doesn't need to eat for 14 years, although he still needs to eat when he rebuild his body in 3.0.

In itself, the strange is that Rei's hair grow. She died and lost her body when she was eaten by the 11th Angel (that's why she said she couldn't survive outside). It is never clear why the hair of her soul could grow.

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:49 am

I agree that Shinji's hair didn't grow while he was dissolved in LCL during the timeskip, but even if his hair had grown we might not know it. Our first glimpse of Shinji in 3.33 is in a red medical chamber surrounded by sealing pillars, where he wakes up with short hair. But, Wille could have decanted him from LCL a day earlier, given him a haircut, and then stashed him in the chamber to wake up.

I think in 3+1 we see long-hair Rei only in the anti-universe. There many things are illusions so her long hair could be a) real, b) in Shiji's imagination, or even c) in Rei's imagination. In any case it looks great; long-hair Rei ftw

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:50 am

View Original Postnerv bae wrote:I think in 3+1 we see long-hair Rei only in the anti-universe. There many things are illusions so her long hair could be a) real, b) in Shiji's imagination, or even c) in Rei's imagination. In any case it looks great; long-hair Rei ftw

Yeah. Rei with long hair looks great.

I think it's possible the long hair is imagination o representation of the passage of time. Rei is only a soul inside Eva-01, so maybe she can take whatever look she wants.

Zoop
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zoop » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:13 am

Exactly, I don't think the long hair is to be taken literally, it's just a visual to show that she's been there all this time, afaik, she doesn't even have a physical body that can grow hair. Maybe if someone visited Shinji while he was in eva-01, he might have had long hair too, but once they pull him out of it, he appears as he disappeared 14 years ago, the SDAT coming with him kinda proves that.

I really like the idea The18°angel proposed about Yui not exactly being human (because she visited the Golgotha object prior to conceiving Shinji) and that his genetic makeup served as a platform to create the clones from (so even more incest vibes than just Rei).

If Yui became a "sortof" angel or god and conceived a lilim child, then Shinji would be a Nephilim?
The parallels of joining angel and lilim, the radiant giant's (Nephilim also being a word for giant, attack on titan anyone?), forbidden unions and all that, the demonic attribution (or fallen angel) to the word, some media (not actual religious texts afaik) referring to the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse being Nephilim, etc, it fits, imo.

The18°angel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The18°angel » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:11 pm

View Original PostZoop wrote:
I really like the idea The18°angel proposed about Yui not exactly being human (because she visited the Golgotha object prior to conceiving Shinji) and that his genetic makeup served as a platform to create the clones from (so even more incest vibes than just Rei).

My take on that idea is that they used what they learn in the anti-universe and the gogoltha object among with Shinji to create the pilots for the evas in that case they we're very similar to the replicants from blade runner or the bioroids from applesseed and they we're not related But, if that were the case then Shinji would be the father of mari and Asuka, which implies that both girls have an electra complex at the same time that Shinji has an odeipos complex but at the same time Asuka ended up with kensuke who is a father figure for her (apparently) so mari saying she likes the smell of Shinji is it because she subconsciously recognized him as her dad?

But this is Hideki anno and his other works in animation ends with a youger girl getting with an older men... Oh
:scanners_head:

Also i have one question about Asuka when we see her for the firts time is she truly 14 years old or she was just artificially aged to that point because her instrumentality scene we see her on lcl tanks with and age very closet to what we see her in the firts time

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:56 pm

View Original PostThe18°angel wrote:Also i have one question about Asuka when we see her for the firts time is she truly 14 years old or she was just artificially aged to that point because her instrumentality scene we see her on lcl tanks with and age very closet to what we see her in the firts time

In this instrumentality scene we see young Asuka and young Shinji at the same-ish age while Yui is still, uh, human:

This demonstrates that at least one of the Shikinami clones has been alive about as long as Shinji.

I am now going to go crazy trying to read her backpack's nametag in this shot.

The18°angel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The18°angel » Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:13 pm

So Asuka has a hivemind to know the memories of other clones? Or this is just for meta-fisical to show that Asuka wanted a family? Does that mean that she died several times and that only stopped when she got good enough in combat?

Also it says S.S Asuka

Maybe souyu shikinami Asuka?

Or just original Asuka

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:22 pm

Reddit thinks it's "Shikinami Series" which seems reasonable, if less exciting than than the other options.

The18°angel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The18°angel » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:33 pm

then Nerv is very "subtle" in hiding the fact that they are cloning a child soldier. Now that I think about it, when was the first time Asuka was actually inside an eva and not a simulator? because mari it is known that the firts time of her piloting a eva was against the third angel and Rei pilot the eva for the first time during the failed test that left her badly injured. Perhaps the mere fact of synchronizing with the eva starts to change the pilots making them less human each time they pilot an eva? And crossing the depth limit is the point of no return? after all Asuka said that Shinji is still lillim enough to have to eat but in the end he will end up like the rest of the pilots.

Edit

Also if Asuka was a child soldier clone why did she had so many things when moving to tokyo 03, she mentions that half of her things do not fit in the apartment was that a plot hole or nerv just allowed Asuka to go on a shopping marathon every time she won the simulations?

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:05 pm

View Original PostThe18°angel wrote:Also if Asuka was a child soldier clone why did she had so many things when moving to tokyo 03, she mentions that half of her things do not fit in the apartment was that a plot hole or nerv just allowed Asuka to go on a shopping marathon every time she won the simulations?

My impression from the instrumentality sequence is that the final clone is a bit younger than the Asuka who shows up in 2.0, so she's probably had a couple of years to be "normal" (and buy a bunch of crap) after winning the clone wars.

On the nametag topic, contra Reddit's opinion there's that monkey doll too:

View Original PostFryMeTuhDehMuhn wrote:One that I found that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere is that you can see Asuka Soryu's monkey doll in key ring form on Asuka Shikinami's backpack

So, then:

View Original PostThe18°angel wrote:Maybe souyu shikinami Asuka?

Is young S. S. Asuka a Soryu/Shikinami blend in this instrumentality, just like multi-plugsuit adult beach Asuka is also theorized to be a Soryu/Shikinami blend?

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”