Possible Spinoffs After 3.0+1.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Archer
Matarael
Matarael

Re: Possible Spinoffs After 3.0+1.0

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:53 pm

^ I agree. I doubt Anno would be deeply involved in it beyond maybe an "executive producer"/advisory role where writers run their ideas through him, but I'd be very surprised if there isn't additional media involving the Rebuild-verse. Like, at the end of the day Khara is a company, and companies have to make money.

Personally I'd prefer a spinoff manga to another movie/OVA. But we'll see what they do.

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby driftking18594 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:25 am

View Original PostBlockio wrote:There's Anima, which... if anything is going to be adapted, it's probably going to be that, because it's kinda the only one of the non-video game spinoffs that has... y'know... Evas in it. Girlfriend of Steel also has a chance which I personally want to see solely because it would mean getting figures/model kits of the Trident

Other than that... a few slice of life things, half-baked "what if Eva characters but in a completely different genre" and a few videogames that are mostly just retellings with some extra fluff added.

I for one would love to see the Pilots in an F1 Young Driver Programme, probably the only thing (besides a totalitarian state's Olympic programme) that would come close to the pressure of holding onto their Eva Pilot roles.

jedi_spectre1
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby jedi_spectre1 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:03 am

After watching the Maeda storyboards, I wouldn't mind the staff being able to make some "what if" type manga and make alternative versions of Rebuild. I mean, that's pretty much what the NGE manga did. However, if they ever would do that, then I hope they would never animate it.

Personally, I think Evangelion, at least in anime form, if it wants to survive, will have to move to a new cast. Shinji and the gang have had their last ride. I would just set it in a new universe. Keep the concepts of Evangelions, Angels, and maybe Adam(s) and Lilith, but bring in a new troubled pilot. Watching 0079 to Zeta Gundam made me realize how cool it would be to have a new pilot for every new series. Have each have their own issues to compare and contrast with Shinji. I'm sure, like in the Gundam franchise, if Evangelion went down this route, you would get certain archetypes, like characters based on Rei and Asuka, but I would find it more fulfilling to go in that direction then to keep rebooting or doing pretty much high tier fan fiction.

My only exception is that I would love a short slice of life AU series. I also wouldn't mind an Anima adaptation, and I say this as someone who thinks Anima is horrible. I just want to see Shinji snapping the neck of a dinosaur.

In terms of manga and light novels, I hope they go crazy. The various spin off manga have always been fun, so I hope we get more. Hopefully some more serious toned ones as well. As much as I think Anima is trash, I really hope they give Yamashita the chance to make a "Rebuild of Anima" and reuse a lot of his great concept art and designs. I'm sure the plot surrounding it will be laughable, but I would still be interested.

I'm pretty excited to see what comes to the franchise. I don't think Evangelion is going away anytime soon. The economics are just against that possibility.

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:55 am

Of all the existing spin-offs, logistically speaking Angelic Days is the most likely to get an adaptation because it’s short and has an actual plot (unlike SIRP) and isn’t completely batshit insane (unlike Anima). It’s 16 chapters long (plus 8 more chapters for a Yui/Gendo/Kaworu side story) so it’ll make for an easy one cour adaptation with ample space to add a bit to the story.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”