[NO SPOILERS] Mari's Age?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:56 pm

This might be an appropriate thread to ask since I see a lot of people referring to the pilots as 14, but does anyone know if the birthdays are the same in Rebuild as they are in NGE? The reason I ask is because of this quote from the wiki in regards to Soryu's age:

Going by Asuka's birthday, she is actually 13 for the majority of the series, as opposed to 14 (the "official age" for Eva pilots). Curiously enough, her age is provided as 14 in official materials, even, in some instances, right in juxtaposition with her birthday (e.g., Evangelion Chronicle)!

I'm just curious if that carries over for Shikinami or not.

Wiihe
Embryo

Re: [NO SPOILERS] Mari's Age?

•      
  •      

Postby Wiihe » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:37 am

This might sound a bit weird, but Mari ia actually 33 years old at the time of the movies (2015). Hear me out.

In the manga (even though it is shit and might not be taken in to account when discussing the movies, but hey it's the only official info we have :/ ) it is said in the extra stage (the last chapter) that Makinami Mari is 16 years old, and an aquaintance of Yui Ikari and professor Fuyutsuki in the university of Kyoto. She is then sent in to Great Britain to study.
The year is 1998.
So that would make the year of her birth 1982.
So she is not the same age than the other children, she is closer to (actually older than) Kaji.
That is if we assume she has aged since -98, she looks pretty much the same in the manga than in the movies, in terms of body shape etc. etc. She is a bit calmer and not so eccentric, maybe that has come with the years?

SPOILER: Show
It is also said in the manga that Mari is in love with Yui and very jelous of her skills.
Quite the turn, eh?

Well, it might be that the manga is set in an alternate reality, but as I said, it's the only data we have on her age :^)

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:56 am

That would make her older than Misato, and I'm not sure what to think about that.

Wiihe
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Wiihe » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:02 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:That would make her older than Misato, and bit sure what to think about that.

I know right?
Maybe I should watch the rebuilds again and analyze it knowing that she is 33 :D
But really I think that it is just some stupid shit from Yoshiyuki Sadamoto, like he wanted some 'cool' cohesion between the films and the manga without really thinking it through. But as I recall he made the manga in some kind of collaboration with Anno and the production staff of NGE so maybe they thought that it is okay to make the one last chapter.

Edit: Found this, and it seems to be the same thought that I had but with a bit more depth.
https://m.reddit.com/r/evangelion/comme ... _makinami/

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:25 am

Worth noting that that only holds for the manga continuity, which is explicitly separate from that of the new movies.

Also, best guess for the date in Jo/Ha is 2017 - 2018, which would make Mari 36 pre-timeskip and 50 post-timeskip if the events of the manga somehow carried over to the new continuity.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:07 pm

She's about 27 to 30 years of age but mentally older.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:52 pm

I think Mari's 15, maybe 16 on the outside in 2.22 and +14 in 3.33. It seems like she's just hit a growth spurt recently so they don't have any equipment that fits her and the new model plugsuit that does match her new measurements isn't ready yet. The CRC2.0 interviews mention plans to either have her join the class in Tokyo-3 or to be an older schoolmate of Asuka's from Europe. Neither of those ideas carried over to the final movie, but it seems like their intention was to have her be roughly the same age as the other Children. Plus she's much shorter than the adult characters, being the same height as Toji.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”