Why didn't Khara use help from Trigger and Yoh Yoshinari?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Shark Knight
Lilith

Why didn't Khara use help from Trigger and Yoh Yoshinari?

•      
  •      

Postby Shark Knight » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:18 am

Hi I am new to this forum so I apologise if this has been talked about before.

It is well known that when studios make animated movies they sometimes hire other animation studios to help them out right? For instance Studio Khara helped studio ghibli during the movie of wind rises and such.

Anyways the point of this topic would be, why doesnt Studio Khara get studio trigger to help them out? I think that Studio trigger it's where the creme of the cake went after they left Gainax. Heck! they even got Yoh Yoshinari! And when it comes to draw mech fights and stuff, he is second to NONE! How Anno didnt get him on the team is beyond me.

I mean I am of the mindset of when you do a movie you gotta make it look and be as perfect and as most kickass as it can be. When I saw the rebuild 1.0 and I saw the Sachiel reproduction battle I noticed a lot of stuff that was missing. Now I may not be an expert but I could bet you a full pack of soda pops that Yoshinari animated that battle sequence simply due to the eye effect of when Unit -01 charges sachiel.

Now in these new movies you have infestetion of cgi which to me seeing such thing on anime just breaks my heart. It looks as if someone cut illustrations from a picture and pasted it over another one with a completely different style thus looking incredibly awkward.

Yes I know Anno got Gainax to help them out but I insist! if they can then why not get Studio trigger to help them out? I mean just look at this example of how breath taking this looks!
I mean just compare that angel to the ugly cgi pink one that we got in 1.0 or the rest of the cgi angels.
This is what you go to the cinema for! To loose your breath and get chicken skin! And this is what cinema of this genere is supposed to be, breath taking spectacle that makes you use your head!

I think that the fact that Anno didnt get Trigger and Yoh Yoshinari to help them/him on the new eva movies its a huge miss. And even tought I really hope that they use Trigger for 3 + 1 it's a slim chance.

I would very much at least like to actually do that suggestion to Hiddeki Anno, I mean just think about all the exhilarating action sequences that they could do! I am in love with what they did in Little witch academia.

So why do you think this could be? Could it be because of pride issues? or simply cause it didnt occur to him/them. The budget issue is bullshit, they could had doned it if they wanted to.

Why am I so passionate and rabbid as fire and anvil about this? Because I am a furious cinephile that wants cinema to be saved! James Cameron wont be here forever you know.
Let None Find Us Wanting

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

Re: Why Khana didnt use help from Trigger and Yoh Yoshinari?

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:09 am

You complain about the CGI "infestation" in Rebuild and then braing up James Cameron as the savior of cinema? :uhh:

Also Yoh Yoshinari did work on 2.0, on parts of the Zeruel sequence.

The main reason he's not involved is likely he'd rather to other things. Do remember that when Stuido Khara was started by Anno is because he finally wanted to work on Eva while Gainax decided to work on Gurren Lagann. Yoh Yoshinari was one of the main creative people on the show and that's not a role you can take breaks from, and the series plus the two follow up movies kept him quite busy until 2009ish.

Directly after that Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt happened, and Yoshinari has even more credits on that show from producer to setting coordination and half a billion more things requiring his time.

When Trigger formed they bet a lot on Little Witch Academia, which once again loaded him with metric loads of both production responsibilities as well as actual grunt work.

So the issue simply is that Yoh Yoshinari has achieved almost Anno-level of creative freedom and responsibilities to drop everything and go work for Anno.

Interestingly enough though, he did make time to work on Hiroyuki Okiura's Letter to Momo during the same time as 3.0 production, while Hiroyuki Okiura made time to work on Eva 3.0. There's two likely reasons for that: Okuira is probably better at bribing potential staff with booze as is tradition in the industry, and/or Yoshinari's style, which is quite distinctive, especially in drawing the Evas, was simply incompatible with the much more consistent look that Takeshi Honda has shepherded for the new Eva movies so far.

In the end though IMO Yoh Yoshinari is quite content with doing whatever the hell he wants at Trigger and Anno has demonstrated he can muster dozens of other equally talented animators for his projects, both the Eva movies and Animator Expo.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:37 am

Plus Studio Trigger didn't even exist until August 2011. Also, in their first few years - when 3.0 was deep in physical production and had most likely hired all the staff they needed - I'd like to imagine Yoshinari, Imaishi and the rest were hard at work setting up their first projects so they could establish an identifiable voice for their new studio.

It just seems like the guys at Trigger want to do their own thing and step out on their own. Which is awesome. Besides, a good selection of those guys made projects for the Animator Expo so it's not like they're averse to working with Khara.

With Trigger now an established studio with a few projects under their belt I wouldn't be surprised if they were hired to do some work on the Final film.

Shark Knight
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Shark Knight » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:29 am

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:You complain about the CGI "infestation" in Rebuild and then braing up James Cameron as the savior of cinema? :uhh:

Cameron's CGI has always been at the point tip of technology, he has a pioneer spirit where he always does the best that it can be done. Avatar was a pioneering job and his cgi was great.
However cgi has been done to work with real life action and even then cgi tends to look out of the picture

Same thing happens with animation.
View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:You complain about the CGI "infestation" in Rebuild and then braing up James Cameron as the savior of cinema? :uhh:

Also Yoh Yoshinari did work on 2.0, on parts of the Zeruel sequence.[/quote]
This brings joy to my heart! Thanks for the info.

Even if Anno has super talented people none of them is Yoh Yoshinari! When he draws the evas they look reall like the out of this world creatures that they are supposed to be. Still I would love studio trigger to work on 3 + 1. Just imagine it! Khara, Trigger and Gainax! The end result would be completely mind blowing! They have to do this project!

Does anyone know where I could send a letter about this suggestion?

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:With Trigger now an established studio with a few projects under their belt I wouldn't be surprised if they were hired to do some work on the Final film.

Yeah! Now trigger has stablished themselves as the most badass studio out there! "Sorry studio Khara, I love you and all but Trigger won my heart long ago"
Thank you too for the valuable information! You are right, now I see how they where not able to help on all of the eva movies completely, but still if you look at pictures of their studios and of their illustrations you will see how they still like Evangelion and how they never really left it.

3+1 it's like the last chapter, the final fight, the conclusion, the last chapter of the fairy tale! The return of the king fight at the black gates! Anno has to go all out and blow the Anime world once more with full animation power at its maximum!!!

dont you think so?
Let None Find Us Wanting

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:30 am

View Original PostShark Knight wrote:Even if Anno has super talented people none of them is Yoh Yoshinari!

You really should go out there and look at the other animators involved. While I love Yoh Yoshinari, the status to which you elevate him is quite unjustified.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:02 am

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:You really should go out there and look at the other animators involved. While I love Yoh Yoshinari, the status to which you elevate him is quite unjustified.

With EoE in particular it's also largely dismissing the impressive work of Mitsuo Iso, which is . . . not cool.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Shark Knight
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Shark Knight » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:58 am

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:You really should go out there and look at the other animators involved. While I love Yoh Yoshinari, the status to which you elevate him is quite unjustified.

Oh dont get me wrong, I am not saying the is the best animator ever but he really is a very strong player that should be hired for the movie alongside trigger.
There is never shortage of good animators.
Let None Find Us Wanting

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”