does Rei hate Asuka or is it just Asuka hates Rei?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Nukie
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Nukie » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:34 pm

Reichu wrote:
Nukie wrote:When Rei sports the Longinus in ep 22, she clearly has an expression of hatred on her face.

"Hatred"? She's in the midst of a strenuous operation -- preparing to hit a target in orbit with a giant fork -- and she casts your 'expression of hatred' right before making the pitch. It's needless to interpret it as any more than a face of intense concentration/exertion, and a product of a strained situation.

When she forces the N2 into Zeruel's AT field and when she gets impaled by Armisael, she does little more than grimace. Granted, this is probably a much harder operation, but why should she not regard it with the same neutrality as she does everything else? She cares enough about Asuka that she wants to help her.

It could (probably) be me looking into this way too hard, but what Eva fan isn't guilty of this at one time or another?
-!

master0rolando
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby master0rolando » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:06 pm

Rei may actually care for Asuka since she gave her advice on piloting Eva...she actually noticed that Asuka had a problem...and attempted to remedy it.

as fer everone saying she does not posses emotions...i think thats incorrect...

i figure that if Rei were raised like a normal girl, she would act like a normal girl...

but examine how she was raised...in that creepy room with a bed, surgery, a curtain, and pills...come one now...anyone would be a little twisted after that...

everyone knows how little girls can become emotionally screwed up when they go through a traumatic experience as a child...

she has emotions...she simply doesn't know what they mean or why...or how to express them...

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:53 pm

What's this drivel about Rei not having emotions? Sure, she's stoic and cares about little else but Eva, the Ikaris and the plan, but goddamn, people. Wasn't the end to Rei's story that she wasn't a doll? That she was human after all? Was that scene in EoE not enough to spell it out? Hell, what about Rei's monologue in 25? Concerning 25, if she was merely a walking plot device like you say, she wouldn't have had a monologue to begin with. And I suppose she kept Gendo's glasses close to her because she was a robot and didn't appreciate what Gendo did at all, mirite?

Episode 25. She said she awaited the day of the plan of which she would be cast away for Gendo's plan, but now she wasn't so sure. There's uncertainy, an emotion, right there. Seriously...
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

master0rolando
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby master0rolando » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:50 am

Horton the Elephant wrote:a person's a person, no matter how small

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:54 am

Asuka just hates Rei because of the "wonderful" memories that Asuka has of dolls agreeing to die with their gone-loco mothers.... :roll: (At least Kyoko-sama in nigoki was sane...at least that's my take on it.) During the elevator scene when Asuka slaps Rei, notice how it's as soon as Rei says she'd agree to die if need be. (Though it's certinally an irony bomb how by dying in the next episode, Rei the second acutally defys orders.)
Rei appears to have no bad feelings towards Ritsuko OR Asuka, even going so far as to help Asuka during battle (22) and give her advice on nigoki.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

master0rolando
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby master0rolando » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:34 pm

Asuka hates Rei out of jealousy for her perfection and irritation of her pitifulness...she would never do the stuff Rei does...so she naturally is annoyed by it...

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:36 pm

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:She was ready to bitch-slap Asuka in 16. Too bad Misato interupted them would have been funny.

I always thought that scene:

and this:

from episode 16 were ironic (gotta love those irony bombs! :mrgreen:) as it shows how both girls have some form of feelings for Shinji, regardless of what kind you see it as. (I'm in the camp that Rei's feelings for Shinji are more like that of a family member than anything else.)

Anywho, Rei DOES have emotions, she simply doesn't know what they are; Trigger's Elysium and AEF pointed this out best.

OMF wrote:Look at her behaviour with Gendou in episode #5 as well.

Sorry if this is getting off-topic, but that reminds me (I don't think anyone's really replied to this thought of mine yet)... Am I the only one who thinks this scene from 22'

parallels the "Shinji watching Rei smiling and talking with Gendou" scene from 5? In other words, a case of the character misunderstanding the realtionship between the other characters they see? (Yeah, I worded that great. -_-)

master0rolando
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby master0rolando » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:29 am

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Anywho, Rei DOES have emotions, she simply doesn't know what they are; Trigger's Elysium and AEF and Rolando pointed this out best.

FXD

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:00 pm

hehe, sorry I forgot about you. ;)

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”