Death and Rebirth: Alternate Universe?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Tokpile Quohog
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes

Death and Rebirth: Alternate Universe?

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:05 pm

You know how in this movie we see Shinji, Asuka, Rei, and Toji (not sure) playing in a school auditorium. The title thing says "18 months ago" which doesn't make sense. So what I'm wondering is, is this a typo or is this gathering just a little unifying theme which never really happens in the timeline?

Katayoku no Tenshi
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Katayoku no Tenshi » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:45 pm

It was Shinji, Asuka, Rei and Kaworu. So it's not part of the TV shows canon. The whole series doesn't take that long. Probably about nine months It began in 2015 and ep 25 happened sometime in 2016. I think the series started in summer, but I'm not sure why I think that.
I guess it's AU but I'd have to search, not a lot of discussion happens regarding Death and Rebirth.
+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Tokpile Quohog

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:25 am

Katayoku no Tenshi wrote:It was Shinji, Asuka, Rei and Kaworu. So it's not part of the TV shows canon. The whole series doesn't take that long. Probably about nine months It began in 2015 and ep 25 happened sometime in 2016. I think the series started in summer, but I'm not sure why I think that.
I guess it's AU but I'd have to search, not a lot of discussion happens regarding Death and Rebirth.

I thought it was Kaworu cuz of the shadow didn't look like Toji's, but then after that they showed clips with Toji in it and that just messed me up.

But something else that's bothering me is, if this quartet practice was largely unrelated to the series in terms of being an actual event, why bother telling us that the auditorium practice happened 18 months ago?

zephyr72
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby zephyr72 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:49 am

Katayoku no Tenshi wrote:I think the series started in summer, but I'm not sure why I think that.

Probably because that is what summer is like in Japan; however, due to 2I, the climate of Japan is like summer year round.

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Szmitten » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:37 am

Non-canon. Metaphysical. Scene transition. Etc.

Katayoku no Tenshi
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Katayoku no Tenshi » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:09 pm

Tokpile Quohog wrote:But something else that's bothering me is, if this quartet practice was largely unrelated to the series in terms of being an actual event, why bother telling us that the auditorium practice happened 18 months ago?

Maybe something happened to all of them sometime before the series began. Care to fanwank something?

Wait are we sure it says 18 months? Isn't 2015 Heisai 18?

Edit :shock: Woah what am I talking about Heisai 18 is 2008. Seroiusly that was realy stupid.

Edit ... again: Heisai 18 is 2006. I should learn to keep my mouth shut.

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:11 pm

look closer, Tokyo 2 auditorium. It's not AU. If I remember correctly, (and I can not remember where I got this) it's not actually Shinji, Asuka, Rei, and Kaworu, just people who look amazingly like them...
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

Katayoku no Tenshi
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Katayoku no Tenshi » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:20 pm

To save everyone time here you go:
NB I’ve left out most of the dialogue and such and just left in the subtitles in question and some supporting information(what happened directly before.) Forgive what may appear to be inappropriate levity, It was quiet annoying typing it out. Notes in brackets, all kinds. +++ = omited scene.

Antartica 2000 AD
+++
Misato put in pod
+++
15 years later she was held by a man.[ep20]
+++
9 months earlier he was watching the stars.[opening 21’{pre ep 8}]
+++
Seven years earlier she ran into a room [Asuka sees dead Kyoko(since when did this happen in 2008!)]
+++
[Intro Rei ep 21 pre ‘old hag’]
+++
Five years later she met him again [sees Shinji{Rei met Shinji then? Last update was 2007}]
Ep 1 Quantum Rei scene
+++
Sevral months later he was forced to make a decision [Re Kaworu]
+++
18 Months Earlier Nagano District Neo-Tokyo 2 In the Auditorium of High School 3 (henchforth AHS3)[same school different place]
22 minuits prior to String Quartet Rehearsal (SQR)
Cello fourth string Tuning

Johann Sebastian BACH
Suiten für Violoncello Solo Nr 1
G-dur, BWV, 1007
1 Vospier
+++
Asuka: Good morning Ikari-kun
Shinji: Good morning
AHS3 10 min 30 sec prior to SQR

Asuka: What are we playing
Shinji: Pachelblel Kanon
Asuka: Cello’s so easy all you have to do is play arpeggio [zzing]

Violin second string Tuning
JS BACH
Partita III für Violino solo
3 Gavotte in Ronodo
+++

Shinji: Good morning
AHS3
Viola third string
5 min 42 sec prior to SQR Tuning
+++
12 years earlier [Kozo and Yui’s conversation by the lake{2003}]
+++(omited scene is in present)
5 years earlier [Exit Naoko stage down]
+++
Asuka: You’re late
Kaworu: Sorry Sorry

SQR start
Appointed time
Violin first string[Angel]

Kaworu: Shall we begin?
SQ Piece
PACHELBLEL KANON D-dur

The dates are all screwy (Asuka is in Japan 9 months before ep 8 for one thing and that’s not the worst Nagisa-san), and the place has been changed. Personally I’m leaning towards AU. Kaworu was only there for one day for Yui’s sake!
I found myself thinking instrument-ality (run from the pun!). That was only re-enforced by the
SQR start
Appointed time

…Y’know I bet this was already available on-line :shock: …why the hell did I type it? :cry:

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:45 pm

Katayoku no Tenshi wrote:I found myself thinking instrument-ality (run from the pun!). That was only re-enforced by the
SQR start
Appointed time

Also, at the very end of Death, after the credits, Shinji is shown leaving the practice room.

Katayoku no Tenshi
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Katayoku no Tenshi » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:53 pm

Also, at the very end of Death, after the credits, Shinji is shown leaving the practice room.

I Forgot that. Thank you. This requires THOUGHT (more serious than 'thought') AU or metaphor (probably something else entirely
-_-; )

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:44 pm

Didn't I make a topic for this question before? I thought we all figured out that it was simply AU as Asuka (was she in Germany or America??) and Shinji (wherever the hell his sensei's place is) are there FAR earlier than they should be, and Kaworu only showed up AFTER Asuka was found/taken to NERV's hospiteal.

Also, the fact that Asuka refers to Shinji as "Ikari-kun" should be a clue. ;) (Though what's the deal with Asuka laughing when Rei shows up?? Yeah, Asuka obviously doesn't like Rei, but that scene lost me. )
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Tybalt
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Tybalt » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:46 pm

Hi, new person here.

Episode 1 was aired on October 4, 1995 (according to the first Platinum booklet).
Death and Rebirth premiered on March 15, 1997 (according to Wikipedia).

That's a difference of about 17.5 months.

Doesn't "18 months ago" refer to this? Not to anything within the series, but to when the show began for the audience.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”